Average age of Game programmers and the speed of technology

Started by
72 comments, last by NeoReality 23 years, 11 months ago
I''m 17, about to finish high school, I''ve been programming since i was 10, I know VB/C/C++/Win32/DirectX. Next year I will be developing 3D stuff, but currently I am working on an Online Multiplayer 2D game, in fact, I will be done it very very soon. I like multiplayer games, and since I am about to get my CISCO Networking Certification, I might as well start playing around with it, so that is basically my life experience up to now. Going to University soon, so I am hoping to sell my game by the end of school.

I guess the fact of the matter is, some people are more experienced initially than others, but if you work hard and tone your skills, businesses won''t care if you''re 15 or 60, as long as you can do what they need.

Rock on,
- Tom
Rock on,- Tom
Advertisement
I''m almost 18 and i started programming a year ago.
I thought programming was harsh until my final exams at school started.And it''s not the studing that hurts.It''s the sea,the sun,the chicks that lay on the beach.
How can i write exams until the end of June,can someone tell me?
Nothing to do with programming.I just sighed with relief that i finally said all these.Now let''s study these integrations.....hmmm
Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
MadKeith~

I guess we get turned on by totally different things . For you, its the extra cycles, for me, it's gotta be SEX! And hey, how long have you been rockin' away on the guitar? I just started playing a month ago, but me and my posse and gonna start a band in jr. year. And hey, I have an acoustic right now, but I'm lookin' to get an electric, for say $400. What would you recommend? And does anybody know about crossing over from guitar to bass guitar? Thanx!

Oh, here's something for y'all:
Top Ten Things Men Shouldn't say out loud in Victoria's Secret

10. Does this come in children's sizes?
9. No Thanks. Just Sniffing.
8. I'll be in the dressing room going blind.
7. Mom will love this.
6. Do you have this with a Dallas Cowboys Logo on it?
5. No need to wrap it up, I'll eat it here.
4. Will you model this for me???
3. Oh honey, you'll never squeeze your fat ass into that!
2. 45 bucks?? You're just gonna end up NAKED anyway!!
1. The Miracle What??? This is better than world peace!!

See ya later, I got some guitar lessons to head to, and a huge science paper due tomorrow! My stupid science teacher...I could just...

E: Anon Poster guy, I wanna be a doctor like my old man, or maybe a lifeguard, cuz it's a blast (I've had some experience)! Engineer could be ok...My mom seriously thinks i should be presidential adviser guy when i grow up. Not to brag, but i could probably do it, I'm great with people skills, solving problems, communicating, telling people not to jack off with aides , etc...

Edited by - OreoBoy03 on June 1, 2000 6:11:44 PM
Oreoboy:

Just to answer your question about proggers fitness? Ummm... Jason "the hulk" Hall That guys'' a freak of nature. j/k
To OreoBoy:
You remind me of some friends of mine.
They got a guitar and thought the songs would come up like magic.
Don''t rush to form a band.
There was a time in Greece when everyone had an electric and formed bands and thought that by scrathing the guitar they would become Maiden!
Take my advice:Don''t be inpatient.Exercise.

P.S.:These friends of mine now goto the opera
Voodoo4
Here these words vilifiers and pretenders, please let me die in solitude...
Tom, you are 17 and nearly ready to be Cisco certified!
God I''m going to give up on life right now! 17 Christ! I''ve heard lots of nasty rumours about the cisco certification exams. Pratical exams where they swap working routers for broken ones during your lunch break!

Cheers OreoBoy. I didn''t know What Victoria''s Sectret was. Joe Burns was talking about they had a webcam on the last show on his HTMLGoodies Newsletter.

How many more posts till I get off initiate??

What else do you need; besides a miricle.
Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
What else do you need; besides a miricle.Money. Lots of Money. or I''ll never do a sequel!
Neo~
You got 11 posts now, takes 20 to become "dedicated". And you DIDN"T know what Victoria''s Secret was?!? You need to get out more !!!

Voodoo~
I''m only a freshman right now, 2 years is a long time away, and I''m patient. Guitar''s great though. And I do have some ideas for good songs.

Sorry guys, I would attach something funny, but I''m writing this from school as i ignore my comp sci teacher, and can''t say anything too bad. Ciao!
I am 16 (17 in about 2 months). I have only been programming >1 year. I know how you feel, because sometimes i feel the same. I have just started to learn DX, and i feel it quite challenging.
Now, I think this is a post I should respond to. I dunno why, just feels right, anyway, I''m 15, and I live in the UK. Now, I dunno about the US, but over here in England, we don''t get these nice books like TOTWGPG or WGPFD in the shops. In fact, you''re lucky if you can find much about programming, maybe a bit about C++ in general, but not applied stuff. Anyway, back when I was 8, I was in Cubs (DON''T LAUGH) and I wanted to get my computer badge. Now I had to do something for it: Write a ...erm... can''t think of what it''s called... ah, prgram, that could add (heaven forbid) 2 numbers together. I had to do this in BASIC. Now what the hell is that I was thinking. So, anyway, my teacher at school was able to help and I got the badge. I continued programming this crap, and on my cruddy old Amiga600, I managed to write text programs (I.e. very BAD games) and eventually got a few graphics in this lovely IDE, AMOS BASIC.

I got a PC, and used QBASIC, not as nice as AMOS though, and stuff was more complex, so I stopped programming. Then, while doing my IT badge in scouts, I heard about this cool programming language called C, I got some books from the bloke teaching me at scouts and learned that.

I tried programmign graphics in C, and couldn''t, somehow, through something completely weird, I managed to find a book called Teach Yourself Game Programming in 21 Days, I bought it. Read it, thought, ''Assmebly Language... What the Hell is that?????'' Used his libraries to make a couple of crap games. Stopped programming.

Then came October 1999, I finally got the internet, and after a while, accidentally stumbled across Gamedev.net, and they had a chat room!!! I went in and started talking, I decided to learn C++, and I picked it up pretty easily, and now my programs are just classes!!

So, for Christmas, I asked my mum to buy me this book from Amazon.com - Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, and what a book. It was great. I read it, and learned Win32 and DX programming from scratch.

Anyway, now I''m learning OpenGL, and stupid 3D theory. I would LUV to get into the industry, but I fear that I may not be able to. I suppose I''ll just keep trying

PS: I''m not sure, because I can never find a pair of scales, but I think I''m underweight, I mean, people are always saying about how girls starve themselves to get slim because of supermodels. And there''s me, this 15 yr old boy, who is the slimmest thing in the world, sheesh, I stuff my face too
Im 24 and have been a professional game programmer for all of 1.5 months!! Woo Hoo! I wouldn't worry about being over the hill, this really is a skill based market. If you practice and tune your skills the industry will be ready for you when you decide to start applying places. Good luck to all you amatuers, keep making games and somebody will notice you eventually. My best advice is, if you really want in the industry never give up. =)

Mike Barela
mbarela@earthlink.net

Edited by - mbarela on June 2, 2000 3:23:57 PM
Mike BarelaMikeB@yaya.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement