A Zen Tale

Started by
74 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 10 months ago
Anybody into Zen here at GDNet? I wouldn''t imagine so, but hey, you never know. So here''s a favorite one of mine... A young monk is meditating by the river outside of his master''s home. After some time, he feels he has made a revalation, and he bolts into the house to tell his master. The Zen master is sweeping the floor inside. The young monk runs in, "Master, master! I''ve seen it! The world is in total balance! Even in chaos there is order, and everything is meant to be as it is!" The Master remained silent. After a few seconds of uncomfortable silence, he raised the broom high up in the air, and brought it down on the table with a solid *whack*! A cat ran out from beneath the table, startled by the noise. It bolted out the door past the young monk. The master then spoke: "If the universe is in harmony as you claim; why did the cat run out the door instead of the table?" This post was brought to you by the letter "Land", and the number "Fish!"
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Hehe. Gotta love Zen stories.
I can''t say I''m into Zen, but I did like your post. Do you have any more? I''ll try to remember the ones I''ve heard. I do tend to believe, though, that the universe is in balance- the table''s purpose is to be a table, not a mobile quadraped! Blablabla..... I hope I don''t sound toooo serious.

Hey, do you think that Zen "paradoxes" could have a place in gaming? Imagine the many different elements of plot and character and so on could be built around something like this. You know, neither side completely right, or powerful, or so on. And the balance between the two sides could be really important, too- you know, no good without the bad, and dire circumstances if things get out of balance. Maybe even no real good or bad- make things "blurry."

My humble apologies for sounding like a newbie. I just haven''t tried to put my thoughts on this subject into written words much. Anyway,

Best Regards,
Torus

"Impressive!!!"
I don''t get it.

btw, this is a large post for me to read. Excuse me, I have the attention span of a 2 year old. Today it reverted to a 1.5 year old.

------------------------
Captured Reality
I know, nes8bit. That went right the hell over my head. I just didn''t want to be the only one to admit it

And I read it like 3 times...
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
An old zen master had a tea set he was very proud of. In that tea set, one cup was his favorite, he treasured it for it''s simple beauty. One day, a student of his was cleaning the shelves, when the cup was knocked over and smashed into a dozen pieces on the ground.

Hearing the noise from another room, the Master called: "What was that?"

The student, being very clever, gathered up the pieces of the cup and hid them behind his back before the master saw. He then asked: "Master, what is death?"

The master replied: "All things in life have two forms, life and death."

"Should we fear death?" the student asked.

"Of course not," the master replied, "death is certainty. To live in fear of it would be a waste of your life!"

"Master?"

"What?"

"Death has come to your tea cup."
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Ha Ha Ha Ha (lame laugh)

:-/

------------------------
Captured Reality
Can I play , can I play.................

An old Zen master is taking a walk in the woods and he sees a small sparrow on his back with his feet pointing up .

Master - Why are you lying on the ground my friend ?
Sparrow - I heard the sky was gonna fall today.
Master - And you think that your little legs can hold it up?
Sparrow - Well One does what one can.

There are only four types of men , RichMan , PoorMan , BeggarMan , Thief........
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
One of my personal favourates , I read it on the web somewhere.

quote: One day while walking through the wilderness a man stumbled upon a vicious tiger. He ran but soon came to the edge of a high cliff. Desperate to save himself, he climbed down a vine and dangled over the fatal precipice. As he hung there, two mice appeared from a hole in the cliff and began gnawing on the vine. Suddenly, he noticed on the vine a plump wild strawberry. He plucked it and popped it in his mouth. It was incredibly delicious.

Edited by - Tha_HoodRat on June 21, 2000 1:35:17 PM
I was influenced by the Ghetto you ruined.
I''m either very ignorant, or these zen things don''t make any sense.

------------------------
Captured Reality

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement