A program to fabricate and articulate a plausible interlude

Started by
129 comments, last by bishop_pass 20 years, 4 months ago
Ah, so it''s essentially two unique ideas that don''t need to go together? I.E. Autogenerated storylines and large gaps in time? Cool.
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Tron3k
Are you replying to this?
No. I''m replying to your remark about the climber.
quote:
Well, I see what you mean now. So the "automatic player" would only come into action during the boring parts, while today''s RPGs force you to do the boring stuff like killing monsters and walking around. Now what kind of important life events do you have in mind? This is probably the hardest part.
Dude, the point is to play intense, fun things. Let''s imagine a Western. Some sessions might play like this:
  • Episode: Poker game at a bar, followed by a brawl, in which you accidentally kill someone.
  • Episode: Three days later, you find yourself hiding behind a large rock on the roadside, and a stagecoach approaches. Play it as you will. Let''s say you successfully rob the stagecoach.
  • Episode: A month later, you find yourself in another town, and the brother of the guy you killed in that brawl finds you. A fight ensues, and the jailer locks you up.
  • Episode: Two days later, you''re still in jail, the game lets you play, and you escape, running off into the hills.
  • Episode: A week later, you''re in another town, and while you''re bartering with a guy for a horse, you get wind that the brother of the guy you killed is in town and looking for you. A little bit of cat and mouse happens, and a showdown happens.

The point is, the program lets your character age with time, therefore letting a saga unfold, which is not really possible if you must play every damned minute of your character''s life, because a true story should take some time. So, it''s the program''s mission to setup the new situation and context for each episode, drawing on the events from the prior episodes, and then provide the introduction (narration) to clue you in on what transpired for the last few days or month or so.
typedef struct{
str m_date[12];
str message[500];
str m_time[12];
}stuff;

stuff suff_list[max_stuff];

void fill_structure_with_random_stuff()
{
//manually add all the strings here.
}

void print_random_background()
{
int x,yz;
x=rand()%max_stuff;
y=rand()%max_stuff;
z=rand()%max_stuff;
sprintf("On %s, at %s you %s",suff_list[x]m_date,suff_list[y].m_time,suff_list[z].message);

}

Height Map Editor | Eternal Lands | Fast User Directory
quote:Original post by Raduprv
typedef struct{
str m_date[12];
str message[500];
str m_time[12];
}stuff;

stuff suff_list[max_stuff];

void fill_structure_with_random_stuff()
{
//manually add all the strings here.
}

void print_random_background()
{
int x,yz;
x=rand()%max_stuff;
y=rand()%max_stuff;
z=rand()%max_stuff;
sprintf("On %s, at %s you %s",suff_list[x]m_date,suff_list[y].m_time,suff_list[z].message);

}

No, I really don't think that's indicative of much of anything with regard to this topic.

[edited by - bishop_pass on October 12, 2003 3:17:34 PM]
What''s wrong with it?
Oh, ok, the date should be in chronological order, unless there is a game about going back and forth in time.

This would be really cool. You could build real epic games that play differently every time. You could have a certain set of events of which some may or not be triggered to be included in any of the interludes dependant on a players previous actions/events triggered. In addition, you could use the players actions to build various subplots. For example, in an rpg (of any genre) you may want the character to have/make an arch-nemesis, but which npc that is isn''t decided at game design time, rather the mechanics for deciding which npc to build more deeply into the plot in this manner are dependant on the players actions. You get a kind of ''choose your own adventure'' (remember those?), only the player doesn''t know when the choices are made or how.

peace and (trance) out

Mage
---------------------------------------------------There are 10 kinds of people in the world:Those that understand binary, and those that dont...Mage
Not only did he not ask how one would implement such a thing, but it would most certainly be more involved than that pile of crap.

On topic, how is it decided when and what is interesting? Are you only able to exit the game at the end of an episode? I know only time spent playing is realtime, but does the time between sessions of play have any impact on how much time has passed in the game? Could I take a five minute break and find a year has passed? What happens if I wish to continue playing after completing an episode, does it break the realtime "rule" and just skip forward to something new? Or can I only access new situations by terminating the game for a certain time.

I think a persistant single player game could be interesting as well, though one would have to be certain nothing of too much importance happened while you were gone.

[My site|SGI STL|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|MSDN|Jargon]
Ripped off from various people

[edited by - wild_pointer on October 11, 2003 12:00:16 AM]
[size=2]
On a serious note, I was thinking of doing something like that, for the quests in my game (random quests). Then I realised that the quality of computer generated quests doesn''t even coem close to real, human generated quests, so I gave up.

quote:Original post by wild_pointer
Are you only able to exit the game at the end of an episode?
No, I don't think that restriction is necessary.
quote:
I know only time spent playing is realtime, but does the time between sessions of play have any impact on how much time has passed in the game? Could I take a five minute break and find a year has passed?
Time spent not playing should not have an effect on the quantity of gametime which elapses.
quote:
What happens if I wish to continue playing after completing an episode, does it break the realtime "rule" and just skip forward to something new? Or can I only access new situations by terminating the game for a certain time.
Kind of a tough question - but I would be inclined to think that as long as you play, the realtime rule is in effect.

[edited by - bishop_pass on October 12, 2003 2:46:14 PM]
quote:Original post by bishop_pass
Kind of a tough question - but I would be inclined to think that as long as you play, the realtime rule is in effect.

But then you''d get to a boring part, and you''d have to turn your game system off and on to skip to the next interesting part. Also, wouldn''t this work just as well with a human-generated storyline?
-~-The Cow of Darkness-~-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement