Inventory: Space and Weight

Started by
46 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 8 months ago
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I like the final fantasy style: you can just hold a lot of stuff. There is a limit but it is quite high. Adding inventory management usually doesn''t add anything to a game. In the case of Diablo style it adds a puzzle element but if that''s what you''re looking for just add a minigame like tetris. Most people don''t play RPGs to become warehouse managers.

(This section is off the topic of personal inventory)
I laugh at this... reason is that one of my guild brothers (who will remain anonymous) spent so much time in our guild hall organizing all of our loot, that we started calling him "Warehouse Boss" (or WB). If you''ve ever played UO you know what I mean, if not... The size of the house determines the number of boxes that you can store. Then size of the box determines the amount of items that you can store within, etc...
Well, we had so much stuff that it was a full time job for the WB to keep it organized

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Advertisement
You''ve given me an interesting thought there Dak Lozer. If you allow the player to hold to much then they will which end up having the player blame the game for not having an easier way of orgainising their inventory.

I''m curious, those of you who have played Diablo2. I heard that you can use storage places in the game. Can you tell me if you think this is good or bad and why. I havn''t played it as you can probably guess.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
The chest is ok, but it holds less than what you can carry. What would have been nice - they have this somewhat in Darkstone - is houses. A place to call your own and camp for free with only a theif or two to bother you. Players can upgrade their security system for their house as they get more cash. It will give people a place to call home and theives jobs. To add a bit more security, you can always include or sell unpickable chests to store in the house.
D2''s chest is too small. I like the way UO''s bank works. You can place a certain amount of items into this bank box. This is the only safe place to store your personal items. My main character in UO has 6 bags inside of the bank box. Inside these bag (which I have dyed to color code them) are various items. For example my green bag has all my gold and precious gems (get it green == money (well, here in the states)). Red bag is full of weapons that I have collected and the grey bag has some spare armor. You get the ideal.

One of the nice things about the system is that they just provide the bank box, and each character sets up the box the way he thinks is easier. I''m sure that if you could look into other players boxes you would see all sorts of different methods of organizing their loot.

If you are going to give the players a place to *keep* items, make sure it is large enough to keep them happy. Everything about D2 spells *MONEYSINK* and thats why the chest is so small

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
A restrictive inventory has never been to my liking. It''s admittedly a matter of taste, but any time I have to deal with inventory management, I''m doing something I don''t enjoy. Any time a game forces me to do something I don''t enjoy, that''s bad.

Key''s to a good inventory...

Flexible storage and adequate capacity. Overextending capacity at the cost of lowered character abilities, but not at the risk of this whole exploding backpack idea. I wouldn''t enjoy that.

Easy access to items. Quick access functionality (Ability to swap weapons or use items at the stroke of a key.) Diablo''s belt was a good example, though it shouldn''t be limited to specific items. Also, the key should access inventory, not a special slot like in Diablo. I''d much rather Diablo had a key you could assign to drink a specific potion, but the potions were in your inventory. Having to pause every few minutes to refill my belt was not fun. Thus it was an annoyance feature. Didn''t add anything to the game for me.

Diablo should have added a weapon switching ability with an adequate switch time built in for balancing. Shield or off-hand switching would have been good too. Armor switching would have been nice, but not really necessary, and should impose a lengthy switch time penalty simply due to the nature of removing and wearing armor. The Bioware/Black Isle games should have added this armor switching ability too, again with the lengthy switch time penalty. Inventory screens in that game consumed the whole viewable area. Another bad thing. Neverwinter Nights has a transparent inventory. And from the E3 demo, it looks like they have item quickslots that are flexible enough for any items. I noticed weapons and shields being put into them, but no armor. Oh well.

Here''s an overall rule of thumb. Any action that is used even semi-frequently should never take more then 2 keystrokes or mouse clicks. Any more then that and it will be considered tedious to some degree to a good portion of your market.

Inventory management did not make Diablo I or II a better game in my eyes. It didn''t make Baldur''s Gate or Icewind Dale better games in my eyes. right now I can''t think of a game that did have what I thought was good inventory management. The Final Fantasy games had open ended inventory as far as capacity, but they still had a cumbersome element to them (partially due to the lack of a mouse interface to the game. Get a clue Squaresoft)
How about having the graphics of inventory items shrunk and pasted onto the gui. There's no limit to you inventory, but as it fills up it just starts to cover the viewing area of the game screen which acts as natural encumberance?

Then you can just drag and drop items onto your character or left click on an item in the inventory to use them.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on August 24, 2000 10:36:43 PM
The nice thing about UO''s inventory system was that it was highly customizable. You could drag your bags anywhere on the screen. The bad part was extracting items from the packs...certain items like earrings are a major pain in the butt to pickup because you have to click and drag them exactly on the few pixels they existed on (lets not mention trying to take earrings off your paper doll ).

Jagged Alliance 2 had an inventory system that mixed the weight and space limitations pretty well in my opinion. They had varying size boxes representing your inventory (ie the smaller ones couldn''t hold an m-14, but they could hold several clips).

How about hybrid system that has a soft limit for the weight and a hard limit for the volume? The more you carry the slower/less agile you are. That would give you an incentive to carry less if speed and agility were more important to your character class. I guess that would depend a lot on the game mechanics, though.
Paul, can you pls explain abit more. You suggest having items lying around the viewing area of the game? Like ontop?
If my interpretation is correct, then Pauls idea is like you think, the items you pick up, are superimposed over the playing area, so if you have too many items, you can''t see, so some players would decide they want to see as much as possible and have a small inventory, while others will cram a lot of stuff in, and as a result suffer.
This idea sounds cool, and it is original, but care would have to be taken as to the placement of them, if the player could place the item anywhere on the screen, they would be constantly shuffling the items around as the travelled in different directions, which would get annoying. So if the computer were to place the items on the screen and the player has no choice as to where they end up, there will be other annoyances, as if the items always get placed on the screen in the same order (eg top left, top right, bottom left, bottom right) then players will be dropping items and picking them up in different orders until they are arranged right.
While if the placement is random, then the drop and pickup trick will be happening. Read annoying.

Another possible option, would be to use a system similar to this, except just blurring the screen, or darkening it in proportion to how much inventory is taken, and the inventry is on a completely separate screen, and unlimited (or nearly unlimited) in size. This would be pretty cool methinks.

"Only a fool quotes himself"
Andy Owen

My Homepage (Non games related)
My Current Project (Games related... I think)
Trying is the first step towards failure.
Make the player buy a bag - small for medium for medium or a big one that costs lots. And make two hands as the active inventory so you can only use a weapon or a scroll or whatever when you have it in either hand. And if the player is right-handed, striking with the left could be less accurate.

~Lucas();
-=[ Lucas ]=-

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement