How experienced must you be to land a game programming job?

Started by
37 comments, last by GameDev.net 24 years, 6 months ago
I think it mostly comes down to being willing to work for [censored] wages at [censored] hours...sometimes actual skill is handy but nothing beats a good "Slave Mentality" going in.

------------------
DavidRM
Samu Games

Advertisement
So, you are saying that game programmers make very little and work long hours? In general how much less would one be paid in an average game job versus an average non-game job?
Well, I was interviewed by a game company, as a developer with over 15 years of programming experience. They made me an offer of 45K a year. I was making over 60K at the time.
When I told them what I was currently making, they said "Gee, only our president is making that much".

(this was a studio which was later bought by eidos)

-- Pryankster

-- Pryankster(Check out my game, a work in progress: DigiBot)
Having the demos will help, but the lack of experience will hurt. The way I look at it, though, is you'll only know for sure if you give it a shot.

Last spring, I interviewed with several game developers. I knew I wasn't really ready for it, but I decided to interview in order to see how close I really was. All of them said they'd love to talk to me after I finish my degree or have some professional programming experience (which I am now getting).

The jobs I interviewed for were paying in the $40-65K range for lower-level positions. From what I have heard, the game industry does pay a little less, but talented people can make a lot. The hours are long, though.

I'm not employed in gameing industrie, so I just don't understand why the jobs are paid like this. everybody says there are too less people who are really qualified.

Sengir

--
Sengir
The reason pay is probally so low compared to the hours put in, is probally due to the hundreads of teens/ect that want to get into the field will work for pennies and slave unconditionaly.
Try to get what you have already done published independently. It will help A LOT in getting you a job with a company.

Be glad that you have your CS degree -- this will help you out very much. Often times, the decision of "who" to interview falls into the hands of somebody who doesn't know shit about game programming and thinks that a degree must be in your possesion for you to know anything.

In short ... just try to get something out there, or take a shitty game programming job ( e.g. $30,000 ) so you can get the experience they want. If you can't afford to take a low paying job, then I suggest following the independent path for a little while, until you have experience of your own to show them.

- Chris

The problem with getting them published is that I don't feel they are good enough to get published.

I mean, the 3D space game is pretty good, but remember, it's my first attempt at 3D graphics programming and it's only my second computer game.

Don't get me wrong though, it looks okay, but it doesn't look nearly like anything made commercially today. It's about as good a commercial game made 4 or 5 years ago.

well if you would be interested in sharing the exe we could judge weither it would be worth attempting publishing... but take solitare for instance.. a good programmer could make that in a week.. yet look how many people play it. The idea for developing games is not money but how long people will play it and how many will. you want them to have fun not 30$ worth of graphics.

------------------
Ben
ICQ# 33345422
e-mail bburge@mid-mo.net

Ben
ICQ# 33345422
e-mail bburge@mid-mo.net
I've come to realize that people will buy just about anything (not a good thing). If you fix up the 3D game, make it presentable and what not, and sell it really cheap as shareware or something, then people will look at it. At least having something out there is better than having nothing at all. That's just my opinion though. At this point it's not about making money, it's about the experience and being able to say I published a game.
Write more poetry.http://www.Me-Zine.org

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement