Power from Gravity

Started by
117 comments, last by Jiia 19 years, 9 months ago
Agony > That's a really great idea!

The great thing about my wheel was that the arms flopping (going from laying to standing straight) actually gave a huge boost to the spin. Actually, I think that was the only thing that made mine spin at all :) It almost ripped the scotch tape apart.

I can see why there are so many negative opinions about it. I say the hell with popular beleif. If everyone on the planet starting designing a machine right now, there's no doubt in my mind someone would make one that worked.

Magnets are a good tool. So is water. My end-of-rod thing might come in somewhere, but probably not. I still say it's possible. Don't hate me for it :P
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Eelcoi know. but how are the two related? why would this energy for heating and magnetizing always be equal or more?

I'm afrid I have to direct you to some textbook on thermodynamics and statistical physics for that one, such as Mandl. Maybe someone else can give a simple and intuitive answer?

Quote:Original post by Eelcowhy not? it are just two crossing lightbeams.

Think of it as wave fronts rather than beams. Behind the hole two new wave fronts will form, but they will originate from the same point and being 180 degrees out of phase, so they will cancel each other out at every point behind the hole.
Is this a picture of your design?

[link]http://www.strangehorizons.com/2002/20020819/perpetual_nonsense.shtml[/link]
Of course,it is possible to get energy from gravity.VBBR already mentioned hidroelectric plants.They transform energy from the gravity into electric energy.But it the electric energy is always less that the kinetic energy of the water,due to frictions.
It is impossible to create a device that creates energy from nothing,and that's what you're trying to built.It is theoretically possible for your device just to go on for ever,neither consuming or producing energy,but you would have to eliminate all friction,and that's impossible too.Two or three centuries ago,experiments that tried to manufacture such a device that was moving for ever were all over the place,but eventually the official science dudes(I can't remember the name of the organization) stopped taking into consideration those kind of announcements.They was actually a device that did that,but it used the pressure of the atmosphere,so it was consuming energy.
Think the equivalent of a spring:You could get free energy if it required less energy to squeese it than the energy released when you let it go.But that's impossible.The spring has the energy that you have supplied,so it can't produce any more energy.Same with gravity.
Quote:Original post by markr
Quote:Original post by Luctus
But..if you lift a weight up under the influence of the moon's gravity, then drop it when the moon is on the other side of the earth, wouldn't that require less energy to lift the weight than the resulting energy when it drops?

Yes, and that's how tidal power works.

SNIP...
Mark

No, as the moon spins around the earth it is still pulling on that object but now from the other side of the earth , and therefore will require more energy to continue to hold it up at the same spot. So energy is conserved, the way you put it the moon helped lift it. Then the moons gravity was turned off till it got to other side then turned back on.
Anti-Sig: Do Not Read This Signature
By the way, tides slow down the rotation of the Earth, so it's not free energy either.

Quote:Original post from LilBudyWizer
Does a water wheel count?

If you plug it into Escher's Waterfall (here's a nice one done in LEGO), you've got it made! [wink]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
i tried it many times when i was a child .... no result.

then i learned phisics laws and now i'm sure it's not possible because that physical laws,each in separate or combined alltogether just _can't_ do that(it comes like feeling),and,better idea to make perpettum mobile is to just measure values when doing physical experiments...it are more sensitive to possibility to make perpettum mobile than such examles. But no possibility found.

it's always easy to see(and hard to explain) why example like that wheel does not work.Wheel will not work because forces on both sides are equal because on one side we have more weight and on other we have more distance.If you actually build it and show real thing in it's stable position, to one person it will look like it should turn in one direction,and to other person,that to other direction...
Dymtry is correct. the perpetual motion machine is impossible in a gravity field (and even outside a gravity field things will still eventually stop rotating because there is no perfect vacuum in existance so there would always be a tiny amount of friction which would slow the object). what you are asking for is even a step above a perpetual motion machine: a machine that will actually create more energy. people have tried to make perpetual motion machines for thousands of years and to date not a single one has succeeded. for your purposes there is a very very simple disproof of your concept (implied by dymtry's last post). slowly rotate your machine until it sits in a stable position, if you can find one single position where the machine does not rotate then it absolutely cannot be a machine that produces energy. in order for the machine to produce energy there can be no stable configuration (otherwise, at best the machine will just not stop rotating: perpetual motion). and for your machine to even be a perpetual motion machine you would need "physics" materials, i.e. theoretical materials that do not exist; materials that produce no friction either with each other or with the air. so if you can find a point of balance (and a guarantee that you can) your machine will neither produce energy nor be a perpetual motion machine.

-me
Phisics in general seem to follow tanstaafl :) - Sorry, you don't get anything for free.
Quote:Original post by alexmoura
Phisics in general seem to follow tanstaafl :) - Sorry, you don't get anything for free.

Actually, you can get an ever increasing amount of entropy pretty much for free ;)
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement