[java] Best Java development tool

Started by
28 comments, last by GunnarSteinn 23 years, 6 months ago
What is the best java development tool? I´m used to Visual C++ but have to program in Java for few months. What should I get?
Advertisement
I use Forte Community edition, which sun gives out for free, but unless you have 128MB or more ram it runs like crap.

(Only anonymous cuz I lost my password)
If you''re used to Visual C++, then you might want to try Visual J++ which is also made by Microsoft. I can''t really vouch for it though since I only have limited experience with Visual J++. Symantec Cafe is also another popular Java IDE that you may want to look into. Forte is pretty nice and FREE! But like the guy before mentioned, it''s a real memory pig.

RCode
well thres always a Plain Old Text Editor (POTE) or you can get an IDE there is a thread about a month or two ago that talks about IDEs avalible.

I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince.
Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
I wish there was a button on my monitor to turn up the intellegince. Theres a button called 'brightness' but it doesn't work
There''s a freeware IDE called JEDPlus that''s okay... it doesn''t look like much but it has syntax highlighting, class views, running SDK stuff from menus, etc. and it''s not a memory hog like Forte. I think you can find it at either Stingray Software at www.stingray.com or Rogue Wave Software at www.roguewave.com
Hope it helps,
Nathan

FreeJava2.0.5 seems to work good if you''re just making small programs, it isn''t bloated at all. If you go for any larger scale project I recommend any of the previously mentioned IDE''s.
___________________________Freeware development:ruinedsoft.com
If you''ve been used to programming with VB, then VJ++ is a good step to make.
Now there are alot of concerns that it can''t do third party extensions (like swing) which it can''t do natively.

There is however a faq:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q243/0/22.asp
that says howto incorporate third party material into VJ++... My old Java teacher did this and it worked. I did this and it didn''t... then again I had played around with my java vm alot that I probably FUBARed it which really wouldn''t surprise me.

I just recently got a not-so-free version of VisualAge from IBM and it''s great... once you wiggle your way around the interface.

But I mostly used VJ++ and it definitely was a good interface to work with and hey, if you can get third party extensions to work then go for it. Then again, it''s your choice.

Smoo
Thank you all for your answers. I think I''ll start with Forte and see how I like it
Forte: Slooowwww. I have an Athlon 700Mhz with 128MB RAM and it runs like h***. I wait several seconds just to open a new drop drown menu.

J++: Non standard and non portable. To avoid. After C# Microsoft isn''t going to support this much so its future is quite dim.

Symantec Visual Cafe (actually it is called WebGain Visual Cafe these days): Good but quite buggy. After WebGain has taken over it hasn''t got any better, actually the support is just now worse. This is the one I use.

Borlands JBuilder: The standard edition is free and they say it is quite good. I would use this I had a choice.

IBM Visual Age for Java: Quite good too and contains what I hear to be the markets fastes Java VM.

About using text editors - getting a good IDE really speeds things up, so I think you should try JBuilder or Visual Age for Java.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
I''d recommend Visual Slickedit above all others for coding in Java. Too many features to list, but the beauty of it is it''s support for other languages. Developing programs in different languages on multiple OSs using one IDE is wonderful. It can also emulate the Visual C++ IDE and even read its project files. Take a look at www.slickedit.com, and no, I don''t work there I just love the product...
"We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement