Playstation Dev

Started by
38 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 5 months ago
Hi I am considering to switch, or upgrade, to console game developement. I'm not going to choose XBox 2 because its backward compatability issues and the way it's programmed. My choice will be Playstation 3, and the next GameCube. Will programming for PS3 be the same as for PS2, but with additional VU instructions that reflect the new capapbilities? How do I become a licened PS or GameCube developer, and how much does it cost (the Dev KIT)? Where can I download official PS development manuals in pdf? Thanks.
Advertisement
first of all, they do not let indie developers program or make games on their systems. you'll have to be a full-fledged company and most likely have the backing of a reputable publisher that has a license from Nintendo or Sony.

also, they don't sell dev kits to individual, especially not Nintendo.

plus a dev kit is usually $10,000 USD and higher (most of the time higher).

you'll have to wait until someone reverse hacks it or they give some sort of Linux package like the PS2 did.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I see.

So how could someone learn and gain experience in console programming?

What if I use a hacked dev kits and release a game?

And what if I cry in the middle of Sony begging them to sell me a dev kit?
I understand your situation; how in the world can you learn GC2 programming for example? In a situation where you're not employed and want to get a job AFTER the official launch of the console.
why don't you just develop for the Dreamcast or PS2?

Dreamcast: http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB
PS2: http://ps2dev.org/kb.x?T=691

enjoy.

Quote:Original post by WISMAK
I see.

So how could someone learn and gain experience in console programming?

By getting good on the PC, by getting a PS2 Linux kit, by then getting a job at an established games company who are a licensed developer. Most of games programming is "technique" rather than anything specific to any platform - learn the relevant mathematics, algorithms and general development practices and you'll be able to develop for any platform.

Quote:What if I use a hacked dev kits and release a game?

During making the game, nothing. But as soon as you released it or started publicising it, firstly no retailers would touch it; secondly you should [at very least] expect to recieve a "cease and desist" letter from their lawyers pretty soon afterwards.

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft sell console hardware at a loss. Their profit comes from a royalty from sales of games by licensed publishers & developers. They wouldn't be getting this royalty if you were to bypass them using hacked hardware and homebrew kits.

In addition they have extremely strict quality control procedures (game design, no bugs, usability, consistency etc); and often even excercise controls over which genres of product can be released within a particular time frame.

This is to ensure a fair range of products and consistency for their customers (for example the X button always does the same thing in a PS2 game from the same territory; the length of time the manufacturers logo stays on is always consistent etc)

Quote:And what if I cry in the middle of Sony begging them to sell me a dev kit?

[smile] They'd tell you to go to university, then get a job at an established game development/publishing company and come back once you had some commercial experience. BTW, many publishers, console manufacturers and some developers do have internships.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Just a reminder: you are very much not allowed to distribute things like the TRC. Doing so is against the NDA that you (or someone on your behalf) signed when you got access to it.

Moreover, GDNet won't allow such things to happen on these boards - it'll be treated the same as warez, which is an instant ban for those involved. We could also report you to the relevant console company.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
Just a reminder: you are very much not allowed to distribute things like the TRC. Doing so is against the NDA that you (or someone on your behalf) signed when you got access to it.

Moreover, GDNet won't allow such things to happen on these boards - it'll be treated the same as warez, which is an instant ban for those involved. We could also report you to the relevant console company.

very sorry about that wasnt aware that they where not common knowledge
Quote:Original post by superpig

what's the TRC?

What if I use MIPS compiler and assembler and a hacked PS liker to generate the executable, and test my code using a free emulator like ePSXe. Then when I finish testing and debugging, I burn the files on a PS loadable CDROM.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement