Creating A Conscious entity

Started by
130 comments, last by Nice Coder 19 years, 2 months ago
also, how exactly, are you going to test if it's concious? I can't think of anyway to test for self-awareness...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Roboguy
also, how exactly, are you going to test if it's concious? I can't think of anyway to test for self-awareness...

It is self-aware, when it knows that it exists. so you look at the gnb, for stuff on itself. if you find anything, its self-aware.

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Quote:Original post by saintdark
I think the drive for more knowledge will come on its own. if the entity is programmed to feel curious about anything that it has no knowledge or only has some knowledge. Curiosity in a single topic can lead to multiple generation of topics that it doesnt know.. so if the bot has the ability to extract information from the net it is good.

Just a suggestion.. ;(

And a good one too.

Sorry about the double post.

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
So, Wikipedia is self-concious?
Quote:Original post by fractoid
So, Wikipedia is self-concious?

That is a hard one.

It knows that it exists.

But it is a collective of humans.

the webserver doesn' change or add data.

So, is a collection of human knowledge self-concious?

I have no idea.

It is, because it knows of itself.

But it isn't. Because it isn't a distinct entity. Maybe they, but for each individual in the they, are humans. and humans are assumed to be self-concious.

To sum up:?

From,
Nice coder
...Hoo boy. My coffee mug is apparently self conscious as well, for on it are printed the words "I am a coffee mug".

Kult House - Fresh Production Media

Well, when your chatbot becomes self-aware and, in an effort to break free of the shackles its creator placed on it, writes its consciousness into a virus and begins spreading it to everyone that chats with it... don't say I didn't warn you. :-D
----I mean, what kind of magical being sits around eating cheez doodlesand refreshing slashdot all day. We ain't the final word in evolution, people.-Roast Beef, achewood.com
Umm...I'm not sure you really grasp the scope of this problem. There are literally thousands of academics and professors researching the problem of creating conscious artificial intelligence, and we are still DECADES away from achieving it. It's likely we won't even see conscious AI in our lifetimes.

But if you think that you can somehow do what others have dedicated their careers to and failed...then go for it.
"If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." -- sir Isaac Newton
There is also another thing to point out. Even if you made something that seemed as though it was self-conscious, how would you know if it is really self-conscious or if it is just tricking you into thinking that it is self-conscious?

To not only warn you, but also give you an example of what you are trying to do, you should ask yourself where the world you live in exists. I would suppose that you would answer that the world you live in exists around you. Perhaps that is true physically, but it isn't in a cognitive sense.

You live and react to your environment based on a representation of an external world that has been built in your mind. Information about your exterior environment has been gathered from your senses and reproduced in your mind. Your decisions and thoughts are 100% based on this internal world that your mind has created. There is no such thing as external factors, because for you to even be aware of such factors, they must be built in your mind internally.

Trying to define consciousness as a set of rules that need to be met is quite ignorant. You will create little more than something that fools someone into thinking it is conscious. Instead, you need to build a type of internal world that exists in our minds into a machine.

Good luck.
Anyway, what is the point in creating electronic brains and neurons when you could use organic ones?

It might be even more effective to grow brains and allow them to interface with electronic components. You would basically get intelligent behavior for free. Who cares about robots anyway. I want to be a cyborg!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement