Mini contest : texture making.

Started by
46 comments, last by ahw 21 years ago
Since Luxury complained, but didnt give any answer, here is an attempt. It's both an opportunity to brag as much as you want, and yet, the content might be informative, if we do a bit of an effort. So here is the deal : lets post our kick ass textures, explaining how we did them. Kinda mini tutorials. Here's one
If you answer this thread, I'll edit this post and explain how I did it, and how with a few different setting, you can get also that one : youpla :-P Edited by - ahw on 11/14/00 3:07:40 PM
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Advertisement
post them here?
or in a mini contest?

anyway, i''m very interested: I love texture creation!
i have some texture examples but really haven''t made too much stuff; i''d LOVE to see some other peoples'' work, methods and of course, the textures themself!

-mike
oh yeah, forgot to mention, i love your textures and would like to hear how you did them (i work in mainly vb right now so source might not help me as much as explanation) either way though i''d be interested.

2nd note: how do you post images on this forum?

-mike
Well, here is some of the explanations to do the kinda textures I did above. It''s all for Photoshop.

The instant rock recipe :
-------------------------
Have your colors set to black and white.
.Use the Render>Clouds filter.
.Use the Render>Difference clouds filter. Repeat as long as you want. The more you repeat, the more grainy your stone will look.
.Filter Stylize>Emboss. Set the height to a low value (3 is nice), set the angle to -90 (or whatever, as long as you keep that value consistant for all your textures), set the amount to whatever you want, it will give more or less depth to the texture.
-------------------------

Et voila ... a nice looking, TILABLE (use the Other>Offset filter to check), stone texture.

Now give a colour to your stone using the Adjust>Hue/Saturation menu. Or use the Airbrush set on Color mode to colorize the stone to your liking.

LAter I will type the rust thingie, for now, try it and tell me what you think ?

youpla :-P
quote:Original post by ahw

Since Luxury complained, but didnt give any answer, here is an attempt.

well...this is a good way to start. good idea adw. now ill have to search through my files looking for something. ill be back with something later.

-Luxury
Very cool! You should make a tutorial.
Enoch DagorLead DeveloperDark Sky EntertainmentBeyond Protocol
Well, that's the idea here ...

I give you a five minutes method, and you show me what you can come up with, based on the idea. Here the idea is to use the instant rock recipe above to make a kick ass texture, like the one I showed.
It's both educative, and a good opportunity to brag by showing your m4d l33t ph0t0sh0p skillZ

There are some examples using ONLY what I described above :

I applied around 20 times the Difference Clouds on the first one. Note the difference with the blue texture, where I only applied a single Difference Cloud.

Now for this one, before applying the Emboss filter, I applied a little bit of Noise ... et voila, you get a sandy texture. I had to lower the height parameter in the Emboss filter though.

And with a little bit of patience and filter tweaking, I then added some shiny parts. Looks like some precious ore to me.

Oh, and yes, they are all tilable textures.

NOW GRAB PHOTOSHOP AND SHOW ME WHAT YOU CAN DO WITH THE METHOD ABOVE

PS for Thr33d : to post a picture on the board, simple add an HTML IMG tag, the SRC field must be a full "http://whatever.com" adress.
Type the "reply" button on a post with a picture to look at the actual sourcecode.

Edited by - ahw on November 16, 2000 3:37:09 PM
revived the thread for frankd.
Quite disappointing to see no answers though ... are you guys ever reading this ?

ahw,
Can you make sure your textures are repeating in both the x and y direction?

How do I turn the texture one color w/out losing the texture itself (ie w/out losing its depth?) im new to photoshop so...

Thanks

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement