Come on guys! Let's rally for NeHe!

Started by
50 comments, last by PaganX 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by superdeveloper
Out of curiosity, how do you buy content if it's already public domain?

It is not public domain, it states very clearly that it is ©1997-2005 by NeHe productions, its free, but not public domain, basically what he is doing is selling that copyright, the right to publish it elsewhere, even charge for copies.

I think it's a better idea than what GameTutorials.com did (start charging for their tutorials), in this case NeHe keeps his image of being "the good guy".
Advertisement
$14,000?? Is that all?? I'd kill to be ONLY in $14,000 worth of debt, really, I'm not kidding. When I started to pay off mine, I was around $50,000. I did this without ANY charity, from my family, friends, or what have you. And yes, this is nothing more than charity, don't try and rationalize it any other way. It sucks to be in debt, I know this all too well, but you know what? Tough, that's life. You might think I'm a prick, and just a heartless bastard, however, you need to get yourself out of that tv fantasy world you've constructed and realize 99% of people don't give a damn, they have their own financial issues to deal with without having to worry about some stranger.

I was virtually unemployed (contact work can be a whore), and barely able to feed myself as well, on top of that I lost my family and was being hounded by debt collectors all within the same week (no, I'm not lying, this actually happened, fate can be quite cruel really). Do you know what I did? I got myself a job and got my shite together. This didn't happen overnight, but I did manage to get it together. Nehe can too, if he wants to and without resorting to having people beg for him.

I hate those save"person's name" sites, and I honestly think this is disgraceful. You got yourself into a mess, you get yourself out.
I can't say I have had a lot of dealings with NeHe, but give the man a little credit. I have been around GameDev long enough to see a bit of what he has been through and what he has put into the site. If you want to be nice and make a donation, do it. If you don't want to - don't.

Just show the man a little respect. Try to respect those that teach others. They take their time and energy into helping others rather than furthering themselves (financially, socially, or job wise).
I hope that it does not mean you will soon have to pay for the tutorials(like www.gametutorials.com). I do not make the same mistake again, I have downloaded nearly everything, before something goes wrong.
FFS, the majority of you are a bunch of heartless barstards. I'm not going to say whether or not this cause is worth it, but the original poster went and made a donation out of his own free will, and is trying to do something for someone else, something I'm sure most of you have never even considered by the sound of it.

Grow up, if you don't want to make a donation, don't, no ones forcing you, but thats no reason to flame someone for trying to help someone else out, your an embaressment to the community, and I do mean that.
well in any case, when i first read about the issue (this was in another thread), i felt bad and donated $20. i don't think donating anywhere from $1 - $5 is gonna kill people here. He's part of the community and for some he's a big part of the community. So the same way I pay a annual fee to GD.net (because I appreciate all the info and members here), I give a little back him as well and I don't even use his tuts.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I totally agree with AP, it has nothing to do with NeHe and it's just his own life. Get yourself in trouble, get yourself out of trouble.

Besides, the man doesn't even ask for donations. He's looking for a total take-over (like rjhcomputers said), for content that has been kindly hosted all these years by GameDev. That's sad, even though it's his copyrighted material, I don't think it's fair not to discuss it with the GD staff first (like Khawk said in the other thread).

But it's very true that this thread is not for discussion. People who want to donate, donate. People who want to take-over, take-over. People who don't, just sit and watch.
he could try to publish a hardcopy version of his tuts, like nehe's intro book for opengl. there is enough matterial there for at least 150 pages and he adds more code snippets and a little more theory there is enough for a standard intor to book

i dont even c the need to actually edit any of the tuts as they are mostly perfect anyway. i dont know how much the book will sell but i am sure he will get couple of grand from it at the end of the day.
Quote:Original post by GregLoutsenko
he could try to publish a hardcopy version of his tuts, like nehe's intro book for opengl. there is enough matterial there for at least 150 pages and he adds more code snippets and a little more theory there is enough for a standard intor to book

That's a pretty good idea, assuming he has time to write it. The 'NeHe' name has a prety good reputation IMHO, indeed it's what brought me to GDNet in the first place.
Yeah, so if life it's tough, let's start bashing at those who spend their time helping others. That would only make the life more fair, right?
Anyway, I donated 30 USD, not because I beleive this will pay off his debt, but because this guy helped a lot of people (including me) without asking for anything in return.
And FYI, I also had many periods in my life when I was broke, but that doesn't mean that when I see someone in a similar (or worse) situation I start lashing out at them.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement