Come on guys! Let's rally for NeHe!

Started by
50 comments, last by PaganX 18 years, 10 months ago
Quote:Original post by Raduprv
Anyway, I donated 30 USD, not because I beleive this will pay off his debt, but because this guy helped a lot of people (including me) without asking for anything in return.

Disagree. Ever since I have known about this site, Nehe has been asking for donations, pushing his CD, and posting ever-more-dire tales of woe. If you want to donate, that's your business, but you can hardly say he never asked for anything.

Personally, I think he should work his way out of debt and not depend on charity. Sell more CDs. Write a book. Do OpenGL contract work. Whatever it takes. If this website is really costing him money, then he should quit operating it.
Advertisement
Some of you people are just crazy. When a man does a good thing, that helps people, that stands on its own. If he later says, "I didn't manage my finances well, and could use some help" you should decide if you want to help, based on your personal beliefs in charity, fair exchange, and giving back to those who helped you.

Personally, I feel the value I gained from the first 10 NEHE tutorials benifited me more than the 2 of the first 3 graphics programming books I own. Personally I believe the intentions and execution of his past actions (creating and maintaining the NEHE site) are things I believe in a whole lot more than the actions and attitudes of the authors and publishers whose books I purchased (I love books, so don't take this the wrong way ... I'm saying he's even BETTER than them in my book, even though they are good). So based on my belief in helping those who need help, my current ability to part with $20 without batting an eye, and my desire to encourage people to PAY FOR WHAT THEY USE even when not forced to - ESPECIALLY when not forced to - I'm gonna pay NEHE $20.

You can view it as charity, but it isn't. It's much more like waking up one day and realizing that someone who tutored you for free in college, could have been making money elsewhere instead. So I'm paying NEHE less than half what I think his tutorials are worth in the open market (I would definately have paid $50 for a book/cd combo containing that information) - I'm paying him less, because I can, because I believe in people offering training and tutorials at the lowest cost they can resonably support (for the good of the world at large), and because I'm a little bit selfish and want to go buy a $20 PS2 game as well.

But dammit, I thank him for everything he's done for me. Period. He doesn't have to be a good guy. He doesn't have to be an altruist with no care of money or compensation. He's helped me even if he's secretly a neo-nazi terrorist (although I don't think I'd send him money if I knew he was gonna kill people with it).

Best Wishes to NEHE and everyone who ever tries to help others in any way they can.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Anyway, I donated 30 USD, not because I beleive this will pay off his debt, but because this guy helped a lot of people (including me) without asking for anything in return.

Disagree. Ever since I have known about this site, Nehe has been asking for donations, pushing his CD, and posting ever-more-dire tales of woe. If you want to donate, that's your business, but you can hardly say he never asked for anything.

Disagree. The Donate button is simply there. The Buy My CD button is simply there. The tales of woe are just his way of unburdening and letting others know what's going on in his life. He has occasionally mentioned the low number of donations, but never in a "come on people! I need money!" way.

Quote:
Personally, I think he should work his way out of debt and not depend on charity. Sell more CDs. Write a book. Do OpenGL contract work. Whatever it takes. If this website is really costing him money, then he should quit operating it.

What makes you think that is not exactly what he is doing? I haven't seen a single post from him saying "please bail me out." He's doing what he thinks he needs to do to handle the situation. It's the community that has said "let's bail him out."

Perhaps you shouldn't be a coward and hide under the Anonymous Poster account. You have an account on GDNet, yet you fear to post under your own name.

You may think very well what you think, however, posting it anynomous is very cowardous. Also, NeHe tried to give alot to the community here on GDNet, a little sign of appreciation is in place then. In this case, he didn't even ask for help, it was a community action.

Now, I never programmed in OpenGL, nor do I intend to. However, if I were a regular on the NeHe forums or his site, I would most certainly donate. Besides, isn't it his complete right to ask for donations and/or try to sell CDs/t-shirts/<insert merchandise here>? I would most certainly try the same.

Toolmaker

Toolmaker, ignorant enough to be blinded and not to see what would happen to someone who thinks differently among many who don't?
Toolmaker, ignorant enough to be blinded and not to see what would happen to someone who thinks differently among many who don't?

Ignorant or not, at least he posts using his account. If you posts on this forum, you should register an accout and use it.
If you already have an account, you should also use it, rather than hiding under the "Anonymous Poster" generic username.
anonimity is a necesity for fostering a society in which unpopular ideas are to be heard ... so I agree with AP on this.

but taking a stand - which is by definition public and non-anonymous - must be done if anything is to ever actually be acomplished.

personally, I think you should use the available anonimity in situations where you are trying to spread a disenting ideal and in which your actual personal safety or livelihood might be jedardized by those who disagree with you ... and you should use your face (internet name in this case) when you are trying to establish agreement for your idea.

no one should use anonimity in a forum in expectation of feedback. If you are not brave enough to stand up for the issue, why do you expect posters after you to do so?

I post on this forum a lot (or used to). Some of it I think is highly helpfull development information, some of it is highly opinionated fluff ... I don't worry about it. Many people will disagree with my opinions, and I will seriously read their disagreements to come to terms with my own true beliefs. Usually it turns out I still disagree with them, and reaffirm my own ideas to myself. Occasionaly I find that I was misunderstanding my own feelings, and in fact beleive differently than I thought. But I never care about what conclussions the general forum itself comes to.
$14,000?? Is that all?? I'd kill to be ONLY in $14,000 worth of debt, really, I'm not kidding. When I started to pay off mine, I was around $50,000. I did this without ANY charity, from my family, friends, or what have you. And yes, this is nothing more than charity, don't try and rationalize it any other way. It sucks to be in debt, I know this all too well, but you know what? Tough, that's life. You might think I'm a prick, and just a heartless bastard, however, you need to get yourself out of that tv fantasy world you've constructed and realize 99% of people don't give a damn, they have their own financial issues to deal with without having to worry about some stranger.

I was virtually unemployed (contact work can be a whore), and barely able to feed myself as well, on top of that I lost my family and was being hounded by debt collectors all within the same week (no, I'm not lying, this actually happened, fate can be quite cruel really). Do you know what I did? I got myself a job and got my shite together. This didn't happen overnight, but I did manage to get it together. Nehe can too, if he wants to and without resorting to having people beg for him.

I hate those save"person's name" sites, and I honestly think this is disgraceful. You got yourself into a mess, you get yourself out.

NeHe 'donated his time' giving a lot of us code and help. Just imagine if you'd had to pay some one for it. Maybe why he can't wite more tutorials is that he's having to work multiple jobs. If you're gonna flame the original poster OK but do not blame Nehe, he didn't ask for your money. He offered CDs for sale but you could get most of the stuff free of his site so many of us (me included) didn't buy a CD.
Fear is the mind killer. But if you have no mind, do you have no fear?
Don't be such a retard 'Anonymous Poster', if you dont have anything constructive to say then dont say anything at all, especially if your going to hide your real login name.

Edit - Oh and before anyone calls me a hippocrite, i thought id better give my opinion. Even though i dont use Nehe's tutorials, at present. It looks like he's done the community a world of good with his work, especially when he's doing it for free. I'm looking to learn OpenGL myself over the coming summer, so i expect ill use his tutorials, at which time i will probably donate something.

[Edited by - Welshy on May 14, 2005 11:27:34 AM]
$14,000 isn't really that much debt. While I really appreciate what Nehe's done, he should pay his own bills. If it's a website expense that one thing, but personal expenses are totally his responsibility. Furthermore, it's been a while since I've seen any new tutorials on his site. If someone else ran his site, could afford to do so and was more active in putting up new content, I can't see how that's anything but fantastic! I don't want Nehe to disappear forever, but if he needs a sabbatical then damn well he should take it, and arrage for someone else to run the site in his absence. I'm sure there are many willing people around.
[s] [/s]
I can see the fnords.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement