What is it with RPG games here?

Started by
44 comments, last by Tolerate 23 years, 6 months ago
RPGs are easier to make what comes to graphics and sound programming, yet harder in many ways (world creation, AI).
I just printed over 600 functions of my project and now I''m trying to find out what are their connections to each other
Advertisement
Thanks for the replies guys and gals, I don''t have an experience in games development like i said earlier but I''m learning slowly

Albatros!!! Get you Albatros here!!!
Albatros!!! Get you Albatros here!!!
Yeah I have noticed that this board is 99% RPG oriented. It may be that of all the genres, the RPG is the most underdeveloped (Most CRPG''s are just hack and slash after all, yet the genre SHOULD have so much more to it) although that is very debatable.

Ive never played it, but Tachyon looks cool (3d space sim for those who dont know) plus the voice overs are done by none other than Bruce Campbell (so it probably has a sense of humour too )
Hmph, I don't fit the crowd: I can't connect to GDTalker, and I'm not making an RPG.

I'm making a strategy game and dreaming of a shooter/RTS.

-Jussi

And I'm not from Tiberia.

Edited by - Selkrank on November 20, 2000 6:51:34 AM
Of course the RPG genre is underdeveloped. The doc grows bigger each day... Approaching 30,000 words now

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

The genre is underdeveloped, I agree. WAY underdeveloped. RPGs alone have the most untapped potential. I firmly believe that the most popular, and powerful games of the future will be born from improved RPGs.

(And, if I have any say in it, one of those will be mine )

Reality is not the goal, total immersion is
My own guess is that most people has been playing PnP RPGs and would like to move that experience to a computer. So instead of getting their own new game idea, they just want to move a game from one medium from another. Nothing new there. So making an CRPG (or at least dreaming about doing it) is actually just an easy way avoid having to getting brand new game ideas.

Ok, before everybody flames me from saying the above, you should know that I myself is making a CRPG and are no different from the rest of you. I just think that it is hard to say they we do something "original". We are just trying to perfect a genre that is already there by giving it more of the positive attributes of PnP RPGs.

Jacob Marner
Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
felonius,
Hmm...well, you may have a point, but I would say perfecting a type of computer game takes more innovation than making another Doom clone or something. At least we''re trying to do something different w/ games on computers trying to move PnP RPGs to computer rather than just using other people''s computer game ideas.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote:Original post by Nazrix

felonius,
Hmm...well, you may have a point, but I would say perfecting a type of computer game takes more innovation than making another Doom clone or something. At least we''re trying to do something different w/ games on computers trying to move PnP RPGs to computer rather than just using other people''s computer game ideas.

I agree totally. Afterall it seems better to rip off non-computer games rather than ripping off computer games - at least it requires the conversion - so it isn''t a total copy. In making a Doom clone there isn''t even a conversion. You make what is already made with a few minor variations.

Anyway, I didn''t say that perfecting a genre would be easy, just that you are not making something completely original like when Populous or Magic Carpet or Dungeon Keeper (or most other Bullfrog games, actually) came out.

And if AP is right (he might very well be) above by saying "I firmly believe that the most popular, and powerful games of the future will be born from improved RPGs." then there is nothing wrong with this. But try thinking about your game next time somebody is ranting about "originality in games" and you might actually see that your game isn''t that original - it is might just be a better PnP conversion.

Jacob Marner

Jacob Marner, M.Sc.Console Programmer, Deadline Games
Yep, I agree wholeheartedly, felonius. I''ve never considered any ideas I''ve had for RPG''s incredibly original, but computer RPGs still have some things that PnP games do not or else we wouldn''t bother making the conversion. I guess the main difference is the visual sides of things, and things can happen in real time more accuratly.

"All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Click here to see my current project.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement