Originality 101.

Started by
45 comments, last by aegrimonia 23 years, 5 months ago
No Name
The game comes in a white box with no name on it.Nothing.Inside there's a white disk.When you put it into your computer the screen goes blank.

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." -Aldous Huxley
"Damn, and I thought you were a cannibal..." -Selkrank, to dwarfsoft

Edited by - runemaster on December 8, 2000 2:35:45 PM
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
Advertisement
I don''t mind a new FPS, RTS or RPG as long as it has a different setting. IT''s sort of like saying no one can write a horror novel or sci-fi novel because too many have already been done.

What matters is the setting, and how the story is paced (not to mention characterization, atmosphere, moodiness, etc etc). So I''m not one to proclaim we need new genres, although it wouldn''t hurt. But I wouldnt create a new genre solely to create a new genre for the sake of it. It should only be created if it somehow makes your setting or tale more vivid, or to make it come across better.

For example, I''m looking forward to Black and White. I''ve thought about something like that for a long time. A game with moral implications. You can be good, or you can be evil, and how your style of play is affects your game play. I however would have had a more linear type storytelling.

Unfortunately many reviewers seem to knock a game for having a linear story, instead preferring games which are open-ended and allow you to chose how the story ends. While this is the Holy-Grail of gaming in my book, that''s eons away if ever. So for the time being I think a linear story is more effective than a open-ended, or even branching story.

Here''s something I''ve had in mind for a long time. It''s essentially a grandwarfare game. It''s both a strategy game and a tactical first person shooter rolled into a MMORPG. Right now, it''s more of a genre idea than a game background, although I do have an idea for the background. But imagine this scenario:

It''s WWII, and you are playing the battalion of 1st royal airborne troops that made it to the bridge at arnhem. You are cut off however, and your only supply come from dangerous airdrops. You are in a squad of 7men, and as in real life, you have different specialities such as radio operators (which unfortunately did not work at that battle), bren gunners, PIAT troops (Portable Infantry Anti-Tank...their version of a bazooka or panzerfaust). So you could play as a first person perspective in a team oriented play, BUT here''s the catch. You have a chain of command, and this is where the RTS comes into play. People who want to play the RTS version will order their units around (which will be the squads previously mentioned). The Germans for example, could order their tank units to try to assault the bridge. And you could even have RPG elements thrown in, such as talking to the native dutch civillians or members of other units. You could even expand the Massively Multiplayer part by having other people play as the 101st Airborne, the 82nd Airborne, or the 3rd Army Corps trying to reach the beleagured 1st Royal Airborne.

Now, is that story or what? Not some stupid mindless, "and the alien invaders are hell bent on destroying humanity as we know it". And what I have in mind for a backdrop is much different, but would rely on the same style of genre.
It probably sounds corny, but I used to play this game called "Virtual Sysop" on a local BBS before the internet was big. It was so cool, you got to run your own BBS (mine was called the Twilight Zone) and you had to upgrade your equipment and all that junk and you were rated nationally. Also there was a game called LORD, it was a text-adventure but it was still cool because it involved other people on BBSes and it was before the internet was well-known.

~WarDekar
How about this one for original.

Put the player in a round room and let him find the corner.
- I like the McDonald''s idea, except you should be able to get more points by blowing up other competing fast-food joints. Set Claymores or roll by and Uzi their s***.
RPD=Role-Playing-Dialogue. It's not a game,it never was. Deal with it.
quote:Original post by ahw

Shopping spree !
You are an avid shopper sent on various missions to collect goods in supermarkets all over the world.

You get the idea The emphasis of the game would be on the navigating, avoiding collisions with the others customers, find your way through massive shopping centers and parking lots.

youpla :-P

I thought this might be a good idea, but it appears that someone is already making this one. Check out:

Mall Maniacs

Edited by - JSwing on December 19, 2000 10:40:37 PM
I DONT BELIEVE THAT !

Well, at least it means that it''s not that a bad idea, doesnt it ?

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement