Book of Dwafsoft: Letter to the GDCornarians

Started by
27 comments, last by dwarfsoft 23 years, 2 months ago
Well this is only a forum not a military office or something so one must be prepared for the occasional stuff up. Perserverance will pay for all in this matter. Cheers to NO MORE GOBLIN GENOCIDE!(EGG) Don''t get side tracked people, there''s still a lot of work and thinking left to be done for us. Keep up the great work you''ve done so far.

A designer doesnt need to know everything about code, they just have to have an appreciation for its limitations and how those limitations affect features they may wish to include in their design. - Drew
Advertisement
*Once more the Dwarf steps forward to face the masses*

There seems to have been a little bit of an outroar for something that was supposed to point out something amusing. I actually condone that the EGG thread died. The last 5 odd pages were crap... I contributed to that, and I am glad that it is dead. Either way I still don''t hate Niphty. Actually, after seeing the way that he responded to this thread (with all the history and the meaning in it) I think he has gained all respect and honours.

I too long for the days when there was countless ideas being bounced off one and all. It was rather amusing to see all the crazy stuff that was suggested while most of us were saying "you must be insane to think that would work" while somebody managed to put it in perspective enough for a workable idea to evolve. Why is this forum dying? Why is this site dying?

I don''t really think that this is the appocalypse, and this thread is certainly not a place for swearing, mentioning no names Konrad .

Can''t we all just get back to mucking and tinkering around in that wonderful realm that we all once loved and shared together? The whole point that I mentioned three different factions was to show that there is a division amongst us. Why there is one is beyond me, I don''t think that it is something that we really want. Can''t we work around this?

Oh, and for any of you who didn''t understand the context, it was half about Runemasters GDNet game. But I guess you have to have read that thread to get any of the context .

Now come along children... We can all share this sandbox, and I will let you play with the spade if you let me use that truck .

NOW LETS GET SOME GAMING GOING!

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I would like to congradulate all of you clowns using comments like "f$$# you" and "suck D@$k". You need to go take a break from looking at this message board for a day or two..your strung out and totally disgracing the game design forumn and its purpose: to give your opinions as any TRUE ASPIRING GAME DESIGNERS WOULD...in a mature fashion!!!

aka John M.
Never give up. Never surrender!

quote:Original post by Niphty
I was honestly just trying to get my post opened again, and when he deleted my post and Adastra''s in the "EGG" thread, as it''s now called, I was annoyed that he had also failed to respond to my emails.. which had been sent both before and after I made such post. I''d thought that since he''d obivously been online to delete my posts, that he should have had more than enough time to get my letters.. and reply to them. And since he hadn''t, and it''d been around 24 hours, I made a public posting as to the unfairness he''d presented.

I''ve just figured out where it went wrong. Niphty, I owe you an explanation, and you owe me an apology. Here''s what happened.

1. Gamedev moved to a new type of forum. I''ve been beta-testing these forums for a while, and I know it allows re-opening of closed threads, so closing one isn''t as big a blow as it used to be.

2. I closed Niphty''s first thread because he put in a personal attack, and the last time he did that, it caused a lot of havoc. It was the best way to have him notice that something was wrong, and to contact me about it so we could discuss it privately, the way I like it.

3. Niphty actually replied to me by email, asking quite civilly to reopen the thread removing the comments. However, I was not online during this time. This must have been sunday or saturday, typical days I tend to not make it online.

4. During this same time, a glitch in the Gamedev forums ( read the front page news, people... ) caused a full day''s worth of posting to disappear. I don''t think the news was posted during the day, so Niphty couldn''t have known it WASN''T me. However, he decided to only wait 24 hours to start flaming me about deleting posts without replying to emails. I feel you owe me a small apology for this, Niphty, because if you''d waited a bit longer it would have sorted itself out without turning into such a big issue. I need to apologise too for not realising this earlier, probably.

I hope this settles the issue. I''m settling it publicly, because it''s already too public to solve by email. Niphty''s only fault is that he is perhaps a bit impatient, both with me and with other people. My fault was to turn this into a full-scale war a little too early. If I had just edited the first few posts, it might have dragged on a bit, but at a lower profile, and it would have been resolved today without too much of a stir.

EGG will be reopened. I closed that thread because Niphty asked me to and I knew it would cause an outrage (this thread started because of that fact). All other threads will be reopened after the messages are edited out as well.

This settles the issue. No more flames about it, it''s between Niphty and I, and we''ll settle this privately by email.

Niphty, I hope you understand why I did this, and why I misunderstood your anger. I had no way of knowing about the forum glitch until they posted the news either.

Peace.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Hey, MadKeith, I apologize to you and all of the people participating in this thread for losing my temper... I just don''t like when people get all pissed about something they shouldn''t be sticking their nose in in the first place. I agree that I sank down to that level also, so I hereby declare all apologies.

---------------------------------------
"I am 17 and on medicare..."
Apology accepted, Captain Needa.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
Mad Keith the V.
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Now... Back to my last question. Are we all going to start back the way it used to be, when any crazy idea ended up in a decent workable solution? Can we all work towards that once more?

Oh, and while I am here, the Doc is about to get hosting on this site... So you needn''t go galavanting off to any old site to get the deal, because it will be found a lot closer to home . I''ll give you all the details once it is uploaded

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers'' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Well.. first off, keith.. i''m sorry for not waiting longer. I do have a lack of patience.. especially when i''m tryin to get a point across and failing miserably.
Secondly, i never read the news.. so i wouldn''t have known it was a glitch unless you said so.. LOL. I guess landfish is partially right, i do value some of my time. Anyways.. i think some other posts in through here could use some editing. For instance.. there''s Galaxy Quest''s comment about me being a "rebel without a clue".. lol. And a few other flames directed at me that seem to have been skipped. I did you the favor of not responding to them.. but when i reread them.. trust me, i want to So do me the favor of removing them, please.

J
quote:
Original post by dwarfsoft

...(the whole thing about Left/Right/Center Wing)...

I completely forgot about this thread, and forgot that I had saved it to my HD...Anyway, though, I think now that I have had a chance to read it, I''d have to join the right wing. (After all, if it''s right, it must be correct, right? Boo...hiss...) As all good things must, RPGs must evolve to some extent. There''s always going to be a place, for both designers and gamers, where the "Left Wing" policy of hack''n''slash just for the fish (y''know, the hallibut?) will thrive. For the same reason Quake and most other FPSs thrive on DM, RPGs (or Diablo-esque pseudo-RPGs) will be brought into the spotlight some by the standard kill ''em all routine.

However...as a large portion of GameDevaria (hehe) has seemed to agree to, our goblins must have lives of their own involving more than raiding heavily fortified cities or sacrificing themselves to the mercy of adventurers. As game designers, we''ve forgotten that...and the Right Wing-ers should lead the way, showing that these forgotten, slaughtered races have more to their culture than running on a blade as destiny.

quote:
Original post by Niphty
seek the ways of necromancy, and learn to defend your right, your honor, and yourself from these goodie goodies!

...And, as a goodie-goodie, I smite the evil necromancer Niphty. Just because it''s fun. Let he who promotes merciless slaughter...be slaughtered mercilessly.
--

WNDCLASSEX Reality;
Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;
RegisterClassEx(&Reality);

Unable to register Reality...what''s wrong?
---------
Dan Upton
Lead Designer
WolfHeart Software
WNDCLASSEX Reality;......Reality.lpfnWndProc=ComputerGames;......RegisterClassEx(&Reality);Unable to register Reality...what's wrong?---------Dan Uptonhttp://0to1.orghttp://www20.brinkster.com/draqza

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement