3H-GDC m.V: Something Special (winner: BeanDog)

Started by
213 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 2 months ago
Interesting idea. I like that I can still use D3D and quads - makes it easier to just draw 'character C at (X,Y)'. I shall definitely go this way I think. If I were to go full-screen, would that be OK - of course DOS was full-screen?!

Would you mind specifying what limits on foreground/background colours and special abilities like blinking and beeping are acceptable? And maybe the maximum 'resolution' in rows and columns - it makes sense to use the most we can get away with!

A console app could use proper sound and music normally - are these OK for this contest or just a BEEP?

Is mouse/joystick support allowed - you'd expect not to see it in a classic console app I guess?

Thankyou.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Interesting idea. I like that I can still use D3D and quads - makes it easier to just draw 'character C at (X,Y)'. I shall definitely go this way I think. If I were to go full-screen, would that be OK - of course DOS was full-screen?!

Fullscreen mode is fine, but remember that it does not affect the actual character resolution
Quote:
Would you mind specifying what limits on foreground/background colours and special abilities like blinking and beeping are acceptable? And maybe the maximum 'resolution' in rows and columns - it makes sense to use the most we can get away with!

As a bare minimum I'd like to see a monospaced font (usually fixedsys or Lucida Console), and a window that is a fixed 80 columns by 25 rows. Color isn't strictly necessary for the format, but I will assume everyone will WANT color. As a minimum it will be 16 foreground colors and 8 background colors. You can also include a blink attribute. If you choose not to include blink, you can choose to go up to 16 background colors as well.
Quote:
A console app could use proper sound and music normally - are these OK for this contest or just a BEEP?

yeah, sound of any type is fine.

I just found the System.Media.SoundPlayer class in .NET 2.0, if anyone else is interested in it. It looks to be identical in functionallity to the Win32 PlaySound function, so there is no need PINVOKE that anymore.

The Microsoft.DirectX.AudioVideoPlayback.Audio class is also very easy to use, much more featureful than System.Media.SoundPlayer, unfortunately it adds an extra dependency to your project, so you'll have to way those pros and cons.
Quote:
Is mouse/joystick support allowed - you'd expect not to see it in a classic console app I guess?

Thankyou.

I'm on the fence about mouse input, but joystick is a definite NO. It's just not standard hardware and I don't feel like tracking mine down.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I can judge if needed.

Couple of links that may or may not be useful/inspirational:

Basic ascii art tutorial

Text Mode Demo Contest site <- Got this from a link on these forums but can't remember where. Might have been ApochPiQ's journal. Check out "InnerFlux" by Crimson Shine from TMDC8 :) Haven't had a chance to look through them all yet though.
(try running it via 'demo.bat block' as well as the standard mode, as per the readme)

Don't forget to check out the TMDC links page for a few bits of useful code, such as TextFX4 & AALib.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Thanks for the detailed response.

Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
As a bare minimum I'd like to see a monospaced font (usually fixedsys or Lucida Console), and a window that is a fixed 80 columns by 25 rows. Color isn't strictly necessary for the format, but I will assume everyone will WANT color. As a minimum it will be 16 foreground colors and 8 background colors. You can also include a blink attribute. If you choose not to include blink, you can choose to go up to 16 background colors as well.

Can I have total freedom with the palette - ie 16 shades of grey?

no, I think that's against the spirit of the style.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

[...]fixed 80 columns by 25 rows[...]
No 80x50? I much prefer square characters (8x8)

"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk

no, I think that's against the spirit of the style.
Fair enough. In which case, is there a fixed set of colours I should use? Does anyone know rgb values - or how can I find them out?

Quote:Original post by Extrarius
I agree. Please?
Prize offer: In keeping with the theme, winner's choice of a Pi T-shirt or a Perl T-shirt.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
interesting sounding competition! I'll try and remember when it is this time [smile]
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
Quote:Original post by Extrarius

I talked about this with michalson.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement