3H-GDC m.V: Something Special (winner: BeanDog)

Started by
213 comments, last by capn_midnight 18 years, 2 months ago
Quote:Original post by capn_midnight
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
[...]fixed 80 columns by 25 rows[...]
No 80x50? I much prefer square characters (8x8)

I talked about this with michalson.

So that would be a no?

Have you decided on whether the mouse is OK?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by d000hg

Fair enough. In which case, is there a fixed set of colours I should use? Does anyone know rgb values - or how can I find them out?

The four bits are red, green, blue, and intensity. The intensity bit determines whether the r,g,b bits being on means 0x80 or 0xFF. (I.E. 0x008080 or 0xFFFFFF are allowed, but not 0x80FFFF)

If you don't get what I mean, take a look at the screenshot on the first page.

I'd recommend skipping DirectX and using the Win32 console functions, though. It took me about a half hour to look at Ben Ryves' page and write a few wrapper functions to allow me to easily use the console with double buffering. It's plenty fast, unlike GDI, and there isn't any jitter or anything.
I found the colours - in the properties for the DOS command prompt in XP, you can set the colours.
I've created around 300 colors with the given 16, using the "dither" characters:
Video

Start menu:

GDNet web page:

[Edited by - matt_j on February 4, 2006 4:41:43 PM]
Quote:Original post by nagromo
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
[...]fixed 80 columns by 25 rows[...]
No 80x50? I much prefer square characters (8x8)

I talked about this with michalson.

So that would be a no?

Have you decided on whether the mouse is OK?

*sigh*
As for the screen buffer size, any "standard" combination of columns and rows are acceptable, most libraries I've seen allow the selection of an aribitrary number of columns and rows, so this is acceptable.

and mouse is fine.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Hey someone donate some prizes for me to win!

And thanks for the clarifications capn.

Are you guys going for the 'trying to make as detailed a scene as possible' approach with dithering etc, or a simple approach like CartRunner from the last contest?
Who's actually planning to enter, anyway?
Are you guys going for the 'trying to make as detailed a scene as possible' approach with dithering etc, or a simple approach like CartRunner from the last contest?

Quote:Original post by Daerax

*this time, everyone's graphics will be practically the same.

Not if Ben Ryves chooses to enter.

He summons functionality (from another plane?) that simply should not be possible into devices that one would normally not think capable of subtraction or addition. Like 3D raytracers. On watches. Analogue Wrist Watches. Hehe.

I should note that I expect ASCII *art* graphics, not regular graphics rendered in shaded ASCII characters.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Who's actually planning to enter, anyway?

Count me in.
I can't get the timing to work properly on my 6400 color (no dithering) mode 3 text mode, so at the moment I'm not in.
How do we submit our entries?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement