Xbox 360 SDK

Started by
12 comments, last by Mr_Fhqwhgads 17 years, 8 months ago
I was googling a while because of people wanting to buy Devkits so they can develop games for consoles and I found an interesting article that might help a few of you wanting to develop for the Xbox 360 at somepoint. http://news.com.com/2061-10797_3-6052255.html (I don't know how to link so if someone could be helpful in linking it for other viewers it would be greatly appreciated.) I don't know if it is going to happen but if you are interested you could maybe search the net more and keep track of its status.
Neil Boland
Advertisement
This is an old rumor and isn't true.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
there is absolutely no way Microsoft will be selling 360 dev kits for 100 bucks. Maybe they will offer some sort of virtual sdk for building live arcade games but to offer the full SDK for 100 dollars is just obscene; even the Wii devkit is around 2000 bucks.
Guess you were both wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4789809.stm

I do know it has been posted already numerous times but I just thought I would remind yous that you can't under estimate Microsoft.
Neil Boland
It's still not a dev kit. It means you can develop for Windows and the 360, so code once deploy twice (if you're allowed on the 360, still needs review). This is basically the SDK (XNA in this case) and a few other software to help develop it but no hardware. Still cool though :-)

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

Quote:Original post by Mike2343
It's still not a dev kit.

Actually, the case could be made that they are using the power and convenience of the .NET platform to turn every XBOX into a dev kit.

You realize what a dev kit is in the usual sense right...? There are still professional development kits for the Xbox360 that the big boys get to play with. Even smaller studios get them (they pay for them of course and they're not cheap either). This is, imo, at best a developer suite for hobby game programmers with some exposure to the 360 using a common API (XNA) they've developed. It just happens to work on both platforms so it's an added bonus. It's still better then nothing but, again, imo it's not a dev kit.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

As mentioned, it's not a dev kit.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
of course it is, just because its not hardware doesnt mean its not just as valid. even the name Software Development Kit implies this
http://stowelly.co.uk/
Quote:Original post by Stowelly
of course it is, just because its not hardware doesnt mean its not just as valid. even the name Software Development Kit implies this

It's not a devkit in the sense that the term was originally used.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement