Xbox 360 SDK

Started by
12 comments, last by Mr_Fhqwhgads 17 years, 8 months ago
I posted a news article today concerning the updated delivery schedule for XNA Game Studio Express (which incorporates the XNA framework...which is NOT a '360 SDK' but allows 360 Live Arcade content creation...) but for some reason it was deleted from the news pending review -- whether this is because 'everyone' already knows this news or because it is repeating something everyone already knows (which I doubt because it only went public lately)...I'm not sure why it didn't get approval :(

[EDIT] I just checked the news discussions again and it seems the article has returned. Either the server is being...odd, or I'm having trouble with page caching. Therefore, ignore bad tempered complaint above.

~Shiny
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup
Advertisement
Either way it seems foolish for $99 a year to make your own game with a simplified kit and get other players simplified games. It would've been smarter to release the original full Xbox dev kit for $100. Though an older console I know hundreds of people would purchase it.

=============================RhinoXNA - Easily start building 2D games in XNA!Projects

1. An SDK IS a devkit - by title and definition. Any package which is meant to give people the tools they need to develop is a devkit - although in systems in which there is some REQUIRED piece to do the deployment or testing it is usually the package which includes this piece which is considered THE devkit - all other packages and SDKs would be second to this.
2. Traditionally consoles and embedded platforms have a devkit which includes hardware which can be flashed or downloaded to to ease development by allowing code updating without traditional deployment requirements.
3. No traditional (hardware included) console devkit is going to cost only $100, not even if it was for an 8-bit Nintendo - as the cost to manufacture and package such a system would make such a sale price unprofitable (only loss leader devkits whose goal is to generate downstream revenue could be so cheap).
4. It is common in the embedded world to use software and emulation in place of real hardware to lower the cost of entry.
5. XNA is primarily just a game development SDK ... BUT it includes a real software-based devkit for the XBOX 360 - as a weapon to get more people interested in the XBOX 360 platform instead of Wii or PS3. The included devkit is (currently) restricted in its deployment options to only sharing between developers, with claimed intentions to relax this restriction in the future.
6. This release is most similar to the PS NetYaroze hobbist kit that came out in 1997, except that by eliminating the need for any special hardware they can release it at $100 (or free) instead of $750 ... and also have the chance to have increased distrobution means in the future if they choose.

Of course $100 / yr. would quickly grow to $300-$400 for anyone who actually pursues using the kit instead of just throwing away their initial $100 and then going off into another direction. As such it is hard to see this as an actually better economic choice than something like the torque engine. (of course it may be full of value added features I haven't seen yet).
Well, its working! I am going to buy a Wii60..except I'm going to wait to get the 360 after they put in the new CPU. I knew it was a good idea to learn C#.
Blupix Games

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement