New Tutorials!

Started by
40 comments, last by SD 23 years, 1 month ago
Hello. Just wondering since NeHe has been sorta busy lately with bills and all that what sort of tutorials you all would like to see, basic or not. I''ll see what i can whip up since i got some time free. S.D.
S.D.
Advertisement
I think we know the basics now, and I think we all would like to see OpenGL in action. It seems like alot of people want to make quake-kind-of-games and tomb-raider-kind-of-games. So far I havnt found a tutorial on tomb raider games...and I think alot of people would like that...or? If you know a page with this kind of tutorial...please tell me!
A 3D Studio MAX exporting tutorial would be great. The tutorial should explain how to export texture coordinates correct.
how about a tutorial on how to make Doom 3?
thanks,
Joe

HHSDrum@yahoo.com www.polarisoft.n3.net
My HomepageSome shoot to kill, others shoot to mame. I say clear the chamber and let the lord decide. - Reno 911
Okay.... I have a rather large request....

Do you know enough to be able to make a tutorial about "Creating your own 3D model editor ."

My latest game engine uses bsp''s created in q3radiant (quake3 maps) as the map format.. and I really don''t want to use their model format too otherwise it''d actually be a q3 clone ( and YES, mine DOES look as good as q3 hehehhe ).

Ideally I would like to know how to write my own model editor that works much like milkshape3d ( basic... not really complicated like 3dstudiomax ).

So, u up to it??? ( I suspect that very few people can actually do this, so it might be a bit much to ask, but if you can do it, and will, it''d be really appreciated ).

Thanx...

~Cobra~
"Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he will have warmth for the rest of his life"
Ooooooooooooooohhhhh! Lots of good ideas here, lets get some more in, complex, basic who cares? What do you all seem to have trouble with/need tutorials for mass knowledge learning for? I''ll try and do as many "code-based" as i can, others i can only provide pseudo-code, I am still learning too. Whew! That was a real run-on sentance

S.D.
S.D.
I''d like just ONE tutorial on how to load Quake3 models and view them in OGL! That''s all! I just want to know how to make a simple and basic MODEL _VIEWER_.

Do it.

A simple turorial on Camera control would be nice

------------------------------------------------------------------

The Flaming Data Type
Tang Loves You
Lone Star Coder

Don''t i have a lot o'' names?
Have I missed something?

People trying to learn just from the tutorials have a large topic yet to be covered, which would make far easier any even semi-advanced project...

Selection!
SD, I don''t want to steal your thunder and I appreciate you starting this thread. Felt it appropriate to reply to enozay and Cobra.

Cobra: I noticed the lack of information on creating 3D editors about 1 year back and created my own, it''s called the OGLM and is the reason I started the www.CornflakeZone.com. I''ve created about 10 different articles on how I''ve written it. I cover the creation of the editor, creation of windows, views, ortho, perspective etc, the organization of the code, the model data structures, selection, Saving and Loading, creation of meshes. There''s even an early cut of the source over there to get you all started.

Enozay: There''s an entire tutorial devoted to selection, it''s in the context of building my modelling tool and source is available on the site.

It''d be easy to take the code to the oglm and develop your own 3d file format and build your editors. That''s why I released the source. You could plug in something like Tim Schroeder''s Wavefront loader classes or anything you wanted. I gave up writing the articles on the modeller when people lost interest.

The latest version of the code is VERY much more advanced then what''s on the site and includes choreographing cameras and saving their motion paths, skeletal animation of the models and the saving of these animations with the models. This tool is what I''ve used to create my Frekken demo which features in the Gallery section of the site. This code has also been submitted to Nehe to feature on the upcoming book he''s working on.

I know this sounds like a shameless plug to my site but I couldn''t help it. SD, thanks for starting this thread and I hope you get some good ideas for a tutorial. So this isn''t a total loss, here''s some ideas:

a) network chat interface in C++
b) how to implement a massively multi-player game
c) explosions and use of sprites in openGL
d) Specific special effects involving particles: e.g. Fire. Rain, smoke.
e) octrees, quadtrees, bsps
f) Level of detail reduction.

regards,
Francis Shanahan

http://www.CornflakeZone.com
//-- Modelling and animation in every dimension --//

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement