What do you want to see in an RPG?

Started by
127 comments, last by MSW 17 years ago
I would like to see an RPG where, to battle, you would find the enemy, strike it once and go into a separate map where you fight it (like a normal RPG) but, its all real time.

And a game where your decisions can totally change the game would be fun.
E.g. you don't get him his soda so he gets dehidrated and takes his anger out on the next boss and kills it etc.
##########################################################You'll have time to rest when you're dead - Robert De Niro
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by bxela1
I would like to see an RPG where, to battle, you would find the enemy, strike it once and go into a separate map where you fight it (like a normal RPG) but, its all real time.

That's basically how it works in the 'Tales' series of RPGs, you might want to check them out.
Edited to add more.

The only input I have to give can be summed up in a single line:

Do not use turn based combat unless characters can move around.

Yep, that's it. My one and only rule for dismissing RPGs. I liked the Final Fantasy series at one time, but I just don't have enough fun with the combat to play them anymore.

Quote:Original post by krez
i'm kind of sick of everyone bashing on tolkien, it isn't his fault that thousands of sub-par artists ripped him off, now is it?

Without any Tolkien bashing, Elves and Orcs have been used beyound enjoyment for me. Those creatures originated from an in-depth background (and possibly ditch fever). There's no reason someone can't do the same again, if they were willing to put enough effort into it. I enjoyed the mutants in Fallout much more than the same damn green orc giants in other games I've played. And they pretty much played the same type of role. The difference is that I don't get to blast holes in nuclear mutants as much as I have with arrows into orcs.

Quote:if people wanted originality we wouldn't be seeing the crap games and movies etc that are pumped out over and over again.

People don't always get what they want. And people don't always want what they get. You can't measure player favor by the amount of crap being pumped out of software companies. They aren't even related. I bought more junk games for my old console systems than I do great games now, but only because there was nothing else to choose from.

Quote:what i'd like to see in an RPG is some good tactical combat. think fallout. good stuff.

Great stuff.

Quote:Original post by Prinz Eugn
You should seriously rethink your RPG game design if it has even a vague resemblance to anything contained within Lord of the Rings.

For using something invented specifically by J.R.R Tolkien(Orcs, Elves), you should punch yourself in the face.

Different genres need to be used more for RPG's(read some good Sci-Fi books), and someone needs to come up with something that can substitute for the 'magic' that is used in most games.

Also: Guns. No swords. No Sword-guns. Guns.

I don't play RPG's, but if I did, these things are what I would look for(if you find any, let me know[yes, I need to get Deus Ex])

I'm replying to this extremely late, but my project is dangerously similar to what you mention here. There's no magic beyound super tech. Which I guess is basically magic with a battery. Here's a link. It's still in heavy development.

[Edited by - Kest on April 14, 2007 10:46:22 PM]
Please, I beg of you...

No Fire, Earth, Air, Water crap.

I think it would be sweet to have a combat system similar to how some fantasy books work. I mean an actual language of symbols that you have to string together in a powerful order to do magic.

Also, if you create a fireball in your hands, you WILL get your hands burnt. Don't expect to shoot balls of destructive force from your appendages without blowing said appendages off. I want to see a different magic and combat system.

Anything different at all... Ill take it.
Please excuse the rant, but I can't hold this in any longer.

I think it is ridiculous about the amount of realism some people have said tht they want to see. Hands get burnt if you cast a fire spell? Wanting to interact with every rock, tree, etc. object in the environment, regardless of whether or not said interaction serves any purpose? Please explain to me exactly what is fun about realism like that? What does it add to the game? If the game is more like real life, does that automatically make it more fun? I get the impression that many people here expect just that.

I have a golden rule. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING that gets added into a game's design should make the game more fun to play (directly or indirectly). Adding something into a game that makes it more realistic does not necessarily mean that your game is going to be better. Just the opposite is often true, in fact. FACT: a lot of things in "reality" are annoying and tedious, like bartering or cooking your own food. If you add these "daily life" activities to an RPG, yes that RPG would probably become more realistic, but at the same time its probably going to be much less fun.

Anyway, the points I wanted to make are:

1) More realism in a game does not necessarily make it more fun

2) There is a balance between adding more realism and adding more enjoyment to a game (RPGs or otherwise). You can't have the best of both worlds (but if you could, real-life would be awesome and none of us would play games at all!)

3) Many people (like myself) prefer simpler games rather than "complex reality simulation" games that completely overwhelm you with the amount of options and information the game world has to offer

That is all. *rant off* [rolleyes]

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Quote:Original post by Roots
Please excuse the rant, but I can't hold this in any longer.

I think it is ridiculous about the amount of realism some people have said tht they want to see. Hands get burnt if you cast a fire spell? Wanting to interact with every rock, tree, etc. object in the environment, regardless of whether or not said interaction serves any purpose? Please explain to me exactly what is fun about realism like that? What does it add to the game? If the game is more like real life, does that automatically make it more fun? I get the impression that many people here expect just that.

I have a golden rule. Anything, and I mean ANYTHING that gets added into a game's design should make the game more fun to play (directly or indirectly). Adding something into a game that makes it more realistic does not necessarily mean that your game is going to be better. Just the opposite is often true, in fact. FACT: a lot of things in "reality" are annoying and tedious, like bartering or cooking your own food. If you add these "daily life" activities to an RPG, yes that RPG would probably become more realistic, but at the same time its probably going to be much less fun.

Anyway, the points I wanted to make are:

1) More realism in a game does not necessarily make it more fun

2) There is a balance between adding more realism and adding more enjoyment to a game (RPGs or otherwise). You can't have the best of both worlds (but if you could, real-life would be awesome and none of us would play games at all!)

3) Many people (like myself) prefer simpler games rather than "complex reality simulation" games that completely overwhelm you with the amount of options and information the game world has to offer

That is all. *rant off* [rolleyes]

I'd have to agree. Take Oblivion for example. You can open literally every box and every drawer, but only one in every hundred has anything of value in it. I'd rather have a room with one chest with some cool item than have dozens of crates with yarn and pliers in them. I wouldn't mind, but lots of the trash items are worth nothing AND serve no purpose in the game.
I like an RPG to be open ended. A good example is Bauldar's Gate II(I know that I spelt that wrong, please forgive me). At one point,you had to get 100,000 gold or something like that. There were probobly at least a couple hundred different quests you could pick and choose from to try to get that amount of money. The main city was large and sprawling,with danger and intrigue around every corner,esp. in the docks. You had the freedom to attack anyone you wanted and if you were powerful enough you might actually survive. From what I've played of morrowind,its another good example,but the combat kind of sucks in that one,but it does prove that it can be done outside of a D&D based game. Another thing that is nice in an RPG that goes along with being open ended is the choice to be good or evil,and actually having this affect the plot. Fable would have been a good example but the choice to be good or evil doesn't affect the plot at all really. If a game is going to be linear,then it needs to have a good combat system. A good example of this is the final fantasy series. No plot or main quest flexability but great combat and character development. Basically,a good RPG has to give the player interesting control over the story and/or character development. If player has no control over the end result,at least let them feel in control and have an interesting and unique story to tell,and let them replay it again and have almost as much fun as the first time. Also,establishing an "existing" world is important. This includes environment and people. This is one of the few things that all of the 3d single player final fantasy games failed miserably at until XII.

Oh yeah, and I really,really hate save points. Just had to edit it to add that. Just let people save wherever they want(except in combat of course). I know this takes away from roleplaying but there are just some things that make a game less or more fun. Some of the greatest fun I had with Bauldar's Gate II and Morrowind was saving to see what I could get away with and survive. It takes consequence out of dying but it also adds to the strategic convenience of combat and everything else. In some games,save points are okay,they work pretty well in Final Fantasy,for example.
MMO-
Less grind.
Player driven quests.
Quests giving the majority of experience, not monsters.
Monsters and players alike able to kill with very few hits.

Percentage based attacks, spells, etc.
To elaborate, level 1 swinging a sword could potentially do high damage.. but most likely won't. Higher level increases the chance of doing the high damage.

I have all sorts of high hopes...
One thing out of hundreds I'd like to see...

I'd like to see RPG characters act like they are real people and not silly RPG characters. I'd like to see them react to the story as real people would and not like character cliches. More humanity in characters.
Well, personally I would like to see an RPG that provides actual alternatives to the 'go out and exterminate monsters' role while letting that said monster extermination role complement them.

For example:

A cave or mineshaft where miners dig through looking for valuable ore and minerals, however there are monsters that appear and attack the miners. Exterminators basically guard the miners while they work.

Farms that raise food for the town. Farmers work 'Harvest Moon' style while Exterminators handle larger monsters that may harm the crops. Farmers should have access to shotguns, swords, pitchforks, or wands of magic missile to take care of regular monsters. If he calls me in on a job, its because there is a whole tribe of ogres or a rampaging dragon heading right for the corn field.

Merchants that regularly head towards the most frequented 'killing fields' to buy items from Exterminators and sell potions and such. Merchants are attackable so the may hire guards to protect them. (I've really got this idea in my head ever since playing Runescape and other MMO's where all the mines, furnaces, and anvils are located on opposite sides of the continent. A smart merchant would buy up stuff at the source and sell it to transport it to the next stage).

So basically, activity could be set into three different areas:

1. regular jobs: the reliable jobs that keep the economy running, like mining, farming, selling and delivering packages from one town to another. They are generally safe but may be kind of boring if you like combat. It does pay the bills though.

2. Guard duty / Exterminating: Repeated killing of monsters for an actual purpose such as to protect those with regular jobs.

3. Dealing with disasters: Imagine those disasters that occur in SimCity, like floods, tornadoes, riots, or earthquakes. Every once in a while there is a zombie appocolips, dragon attack, dry spell, attack by bandits, or something else and the player can either rise to the occasion to stop or just keep himself safe and hope the NPCs can deal with it.

4. Actual quests: The princess is locked in a castle guarded by a Dire Ninja Dragon and countless ninja zombie fiends... the farmers don't care, the miners don't care. Nobody cares except you... well, if you want to that is.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement