A little disappointed in participation....

Started by
17 comments, last by Melinye 16 years, 9 months ago
Hello all, As the subject says, I am surprised at the participation level in this workshop. I just looked at the sign up thread and see 18 pages of people "participating." I got one question for all those who signed up as "students" WHERE THE HELL ARE YA?? When Week 1 started, things took off. Tons of info in that first week. So much of it was way over my head and subsequently jwalsh made a separate thread for those who are new to programming in general. Despite the depth of the comments during that first week, I still read each and every thread and reply within those threads. Now we are in Week 3, changed texts, but its still a free text. Very few people had questions in week 2, or cared to comment or ask questions if they did. Week 3 seems to have slowed way down also. This new text has lowered my question output a bit, because the text is alot easier to read and comprehend. I do however plan on reading the Specs also, just for my own additional learning. Now, I am a noob to most of this programming stuff aside from 1 year of college VB.NET, and I am sure I ask some pretty bone headed questions at times (and with enough beer consumed). I suppose I am just venting a bit, because I can see how much time and effort that was put into this workshop, and am just astounded by 18 pages of people signing up yet participation seems low. I suppose that maybe everyone just completely understands what they are reading and have absolutely no questions at all. I guess I am just venting a bit and dont mean to piss anyone off, just wanted to get that off my chest. Thanks for reading, Shawn
Advertisement
That's just common with social activities: everybody signs up, nobody turns up. Most people just vote-in to secure continuation, 'just in case'. It has always worked like that, be it with parties, rebellious gatherings, or internet programming workshops.
I'm done summer school; starting this tomorrow.
Indeed. It's always a little dissapointing to see how few questions there are. Especially when you consider the time commitment it takes.

To give people an idea of how much time it takes me...
  1. Read Chapters & Write Introduction: ~2 hours (x10)
  2. Write Chapter Review Questions: ~2-3 hours (x10)
  3. Write Chapter Exercises: ~3-4 hours (x10)
  4. Writing Project Description ~4-8 Hours (x5)
  5. Implement Projects ~2-5 days (x5)
On the high end, that's a max of 330 hours of work put into the workshop...not counting the time I spend answering questions.

For those doing the math, that's roughly 40, 8-hour days spent working on the Workshop. In addition to having a full-time job and family.

I do these workshops because I enjoy helping out the GDNet community, not because I'm trying to find something to do with my free time. [grin]

So if you're silently looming, but have been wanting to ask questions, please do so. It's what makes all the prep time actually worth it.

Cheers!
Jeromy Walsh
Sr. Tools & Engine Programmer | Software Engineer
Microsoft Windows Phone Team
Chronicles of Elyria (An In-development MMORPG)
GameDevelopedia.com - Blog & Tutorials
GDNet Mentoring: XNA Workshop | C# Workshop | C++ Workshop
"The question is not how far, the question is do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?" - Il Duche, Boondock Saints
I'm participating. I just read slow as dirt. Actually I should have answered those Week 1 Questions.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I don't know how much time I have spent on the workshop. I just try to not leave a question unanswered for very long.

theTroll
I came from a C++ background so I really understand what we are talking about right now. That is hwy I really have not been asking questions or anything. But I do love this workshop. Without I don't think I would have began learning C# yet.

Chad

I'd also love to see more questions posted. I'm picking up a lot from reading the questions and the replies. To be perfectly honest though I'm still struggling to pick up/remember up the basic definitions ie. the differences between static & non-static and the whole concept of classes and objects. It's embarrassing considering that we are on week 3. I get to the stage where it seems to sink in & then I read something else and it goes all murky again.
I'm sure it will start to make sense and stick once I can apply it all to longer code examples -maybe the same goes for a lot of the silent participants here. Maybe once we all start writing more code people will get more confident & get more involved.
There's also the time constraints. I'm only able to study for this class in my work lunch hour and then later when the missus stops nagging me and goes to bed around midnight. What little time I have is usually spent reading the text and, for someone as slow as me to pick up the basics, I feel I have little time to post questions as I read. It's like I'm panicking to take it in and would rather repeatedly read several pages of the text in the hope that several concepts will stick rather than take the time to compose a question about each concept in the forums.
Anyway, I for one greatly appreciate all your efforts with the workshop JWalsh. Don't lose heart, the workshop will be a huge success. You wait & see...

I signed up and have had pretty much no input yet whatsoever, however it's due to extended work commitments currently and having aprox. 0 hrs to do anything I want/need during the week.

Things look like they're going to quieten down soon so I'm hoping to get back into it.
I'm still on it, i really dont have much time to read in the evening, i work often until 9 or later in the evening...but i really love this workshop, i really love reading threads, question and expecially anwers...

I really hope this workshop will not came to an end anticipately..i'm really amazed about 1st project!

p.s. I hope JWalsh will continue with his journal "Man vs Godz..ehm..MMORPG"

Have a nice day(night?)..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement