Favorite Programming Language?

Started by
135 comments, last by umbrae 16 years, 4 months ago
I want to say C#, but it's still so new to me that I'm going to play it safe and say C++. Because: It's the first language I choose to learn, and it has accomplished everything I have ever needed a language to accomplish, thus it has not forced me to go out and learn another language.

My question for you is: why do you want to know?
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Advertisement
C++
People seem to treat it like it is old fashioned or evil, but most who do treat it like that think it is a funny looking C. Even though it is so much more It even has map and reduce built in to the standard library so there is no need to go learn a functional language to get a taste.
Formerly python, but now C#. Have you seen Parallel Extensions library? It's wicked (though not limited to just C#).
Quote:Original post by stonemetal
C++
People seem to treat it like it is old fashioned or evil, but most who do treat it like that think it is a funny looking C.

Or are familiar enough to know it's old fashioned and evil, even using modern libraries and standards.

Quote:
Even though it is so much more It even has map and reduce built in to the standard library so there is no need to go learn a functional language to get a taste.

Low standards for what is considered a taste these days...

re: Simian Man; yes about right, though I'd place a little more weight in the functional camp.
My favorite programming language is Python, except when I have to do a metric shit-ton of regex-based string manipulation, in which case it's Perl [smile]. I like it because it's both clean and messy, both good and evil. I can use it as a package of powerful utilities, or as a sandbox for experimentation, or as a lab rat I wish to dissect - metaclass hacking ftw!

My least favorite language would probably be Java, not necessarily for a particular technical shortcoming, but because of the amount of misinformation that has been dispersed via its adoption as a primary instruction language in many universities. Today I had my co-worker look at a very preliminary specification and start talking about what classes we needed: "We need an email class..." An email class?! What the fuck will it do?

Java has made many people class-happy, and makes them think they have to place everything in classes. Python, in total contrast, doesn't even require an application entry point (like Perl, and PHP, and Ruby, and...)
I like C# the most. I like the similarities between it and C or C++, but I think the syntax is a bit nicer in parts. I also love properties and having built in support for interfaces (they're possible as full abstract classes in C++, but just easier to have it built in). I'm also a big fan of having a garbage collector do my work for me. That's just laziness, but I'm alright with that ;). And I like (in contrast to C and C++ anyway) not having to do all the #includes of various headers to access classes in the same project. I understand why they do, but I like not having to.

For a least favorite I supposed I'd go with VB.NET. I just hate the syntax of VB.NET and I hate that the compiler cares about line returns. For instance if I have a particularly long method declaration, I might want to break it up into lines to avoid word-wrapping or having to scroll to see it all. In C# I can just place arbitrary returns in where I want, but this breaks VB.NET.
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
For a least favorite I supposed I'd go with VB.NET. I just hate the syntax of VB.NET and I hate that the compiler cares about line returns. For instance if I have a particularly long method declaration, I might want to break it up into lines to avoid word-wrapping or having to scroll to see it all. In C# I can just place arbitrary returns in where I want, but this breaks VB.NET.

Underscore. It's the VB line continuation character. It's annoying, I agree, but... *shrug* At least you don't have to place an asterisk (by convention; formally a non-space character) in column 6.
Quote:Original post by NickGravelyn
I like C# the most. I like the similarities between it and C or C++, but I think the syntax is a bit nicer in parts. I also love properties and having built in support for interfaces (they're possible as full abstract classes in C++, but just easier to have it built in). I'm also a big fan of having a garbage collector do my work for me. That's just laziness, but I'm alright with that ;). And I like (in contrast to C and C++ anyway) not having to do all the #includes of various headers to access classes in the same project. I understand why they do, but I like not having to.

Love C# as well, mostly for the same reasons. Also probably because its the "native" language for XNA ;)
Though I have to agree with others on the fact that it is more often than not better to choose the language depending on the task needed to perform.

@afarnen:
I don't know why you are asking the question, but its making me think that the goal is to pick "the ultimate best language" for you to learn. If that is so, I'd suggest you reconsider the strategy. What some people like, others may dislike a LOT about a language. I'd personally suggest to just pick a language, any language (ok, not VB :))) ), and stick with it. Get good at it, write a few simple games (I assume that's your goal, if you're posting on this website), then maybe find another language to learn. After a few, you'll have at least some experience to be able to choose the right language for the right job.
C#, for me.

I don't mind Java, but I think C# is nicer.

Also C++ is good :P
My favourite language would technically have to be C++, because that's the only one I know well enough for any serious development. I'm fairly neutral about the language myself, but it's flexible enough to do most of what I need to do in a pinch.

My least favourite language would possibly be Java; not for the language itself mind you, but how it's now commonly misused as a first language to be taught to beginning computer science undergraduates (similar to Oluseyi's opinion). I personally prefer something like Haskell as a first language for comp. sci. like what my university taught.

I'd also like to point out that if you're asking this question to figure out the best language to learn, I'd caution against it. I certainly wouldn't recommend C++ as the first language for anyone to learn. If I were interested in learning game programming from scratch I'd go with Python.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement