Favorite Programming Language?

Started by
135 comments, last by umbrae 16 years, 4 months ago
Quote:Original post by Moe
I forgot to mention my least favourite language - Prolog. It's kind of cool, but in a sick way - like watching a car accident or something like that. That, and I think it was purely created to torture comp-sci students. I think anyone that uses it willingly and willfully is a masochist.

I've willingly and willfully used Prolog...

Advertisement
Quote:
I'd be 100% C# if only the .NET standard libraries were thought through half as well as the STL.

Oh?
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Quote:
I'd be 100% C# if only the .NET standard libraries were thought through half as well as the STL.

Oh?

Professional studies have shown that they were only thought out 2/5ths as well. A real tragedy.
Quote:Original post by Telastyn
Quote:

Oh?

While the STL is lacking a lot of things (threads, sockets, simple binary IO), and using shift operators for IO is really annoying at times, I haven't seen a container library that does a better job (and I would like to, if you know of one).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Oh! Almost forgot, I wanna throw in a vote for BrainFuck. Only esoteric programming language I ever got into. Chef and Shakespeare I never really understood all that well.

Quote:Original post by visage
Professional studies have shown that they were only thought out 2/5ths as well. A real tragedy.

STL's planning began in 1979, that's 28 almost 29 years of planning. .NET was started in the late 90's, that's, what, 8 or 9 years. With 2 decades on it of course STL is going to be better thought out! God I hate people's ignorance.

.NET still rocks.
Nick Wilson - Junior C# Developer | See my crappy site
Just to clear this up, don't feel that you have to put the one you use the most. Most of you are probably going to put C/C++ or Java because computers are so built around them these days. Put the language you would want computers to be built around on.

I would have to say Haskell because it's just so brilliant and different from most popular languages.

And if you use a compiled version of PHP or other scripting languages then you can put that. As long as it compiles.
All of these oddball language make me wonder : what is required to/how do you create your own language?
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Quote:Original post by Drizzt DoUrden
All of these oddball language make me wonder : what is required to/how do you create your own language?

All it takes to create a language is the idea. Brainstorm ideas, and write down or type up any good ones. You could also brainstorm with a friend, if they're into programming languages, too.

When you think that you have the language basically figured out, try and write some documentation on it. Then maybe someone or yourself will create an implementation/compiler. To create a compiler, create a program that can translate your language's code into assembly language (or machine code).

BTW, if you need any ideas for creating a language, feel free to ask the forums for help.
C++: mainly because it's just what I've been using most of the time and it's what I'm most familiar with. (STL+Boost are great!)

D would be a close second (mainly because there aren't quite as many libraries for it and because there is no multiple inheritance, which is so deliciously evil...)
Quote:Original post by afarnen
I would have to say Haskell because it's just so brilliant and different from most popular languages.
My beef with haskell is that you have to separate the sequential logic and the combinatorial logic; the IO from the stateless functions. It means that if I write the quick sort algorithm to pick a the pivot point to all ways be the same index, then the algorithm can be elegantly written one way. But if I make the pivot point be a random index, the code has to be drastically changed, including how the algorithm is used.

Otherwise, I agree its an elegant language.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement