Creating a text-based game,

Started by
28 comments, last by Robert James Saunders 11 years, 3 months ago
Quote:I was wondering if there was anybody out there who would guide me through the creation of a text based game?
You mean, have someone else program the game for you.

Quote:So you think something like C+ for dummies or something like that will be enough?
No.

Quote:I picked up HTML in about half an hour.
It’s not a programming language.

Same advice applies to you as to anyone else who wants to learn how to program and make games. Pick a decent language suitable for beginners (read other forums posts for information on how to pick a language and recommendations, C++ not one of them). Then learn to use that language with decent fluency. Do so with small practice programs. At some point, you may be able to tackle your game idea.

EDIT:

The way you post, it sounds like you want everything spoonfed to you. You don’t know what to do, so you want someone else to hold your hand through everything. That isn’t how programming works.
Advertisement
Wrathlands. That's the name of a sample game put together in these tutorials(not mine)

http://www.rdxgames.com/projects/wrathlands/index.html
Let he who will move the world first move himself--Socrates
I would recommend that you try out Python with PyGame or Pyglet. Python is easier to learn and use than C++, so I find it to be a good beginner language. I already had programming experiance when I picked up Python, so all I did was look at some examples and experiment. For this reason I'm not exactly sure what book to recommend, but probably just about any "for absolute beginners" or "for dummies" type book would probably give you a good foundation in both programming concepts and the language itself.

~Cody
I recomend learning Python. I am currently in the middle of learning it after a messy affair with C++. I have to tell you that Python is a lot easier to use than C++. A byte of python (check it out on amazon) is the book I read so far and it was very helpful to me. It also has an online html version that you can get at python.org. Its found under for beginners which is under documentation. I wish you luck with whatever you pick.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Exercise, eat right and be the best you can be!Translation: Play video games for finger streangth and eat lots of hot pockets to be at top programming efficiency.
Whatever programming language you choose, find a good book that not only teaches you the language, but also teaches the basics of programming as well (algorithm design, data structures, object-oriented programming). If you can't, find a separate book that teaches you how to program and learn it well. Also, make sure you stick with the language you choose until you know it very, very well.
Thanks guys much appreciated... and Olers gtfo... what's your problem? :|
If you are making a purely text-based game, there is always Inform.
Quote:Original post by unwantedminority
and Olers gtfo... what's your problem? :|

He just wrote what alot of people were probably thinking. You probably haven't been around the forums much, but if you spend any amount of time here, you'll quickly find that a good half or more of the people that come on asking for beginner help (i.e. what language, write this code for me, show me good tutorials, etc) really don't want to do the work, they just want the games quickly with as little work as possible. I don't think his statements were meant as a personal remark against you, he was just wary, as was I, that your another one of the dozens that wants to be spoonfed and won't actually follow through.

Hopefully that's not true and you'll stick with this wonderful hobby (or if your damn lucky, profession :P). Good luck with your future learning and programming!

~Cody
hi, its ok. am a newbie too but you really need to do the grinding yourself. it seems we all need the extra hardwork
@OP (unwantedminority):

Take a look at this thread. So many people replied. But how many volunteered to be your guide? None. Because no one will volunteer for it. I’m actually trying to tell you something useful. If I wanted to just be hostile, there would be no mistaking it from my post. If someone else, or the mods, think my posts come off as hostile, do chastise me in a reply or through PM. I’m not being a jerk, I’ll listen.

Part of being a programmer is having the right attitude. You are displaying the wrong one, and I’m trying to move you out of it. Ignore me if you wish. Maybe you’ll want to read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html though, because it will show you how to get more relevant answers to your questions.

[Edited by - oler1s on June 26, 2008 6:43:16 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement