OpenGL without GLUT?

Started by
15 comments, last by SimonForsman 11 years, 9 months ago
Is it possible to create and view 3D animations in OpenGL without using GLUT? Is it possible to use GLUT without using OpenGL?
Advertisement
If you don't use GLUT, then use some other window handling wrapper instead, like SDL or GLFW, or use the platform native API (Win32 API for Windows for example).

And using GLUT without OpenGL makes no sense at all, because the whole purpose of GLUT is to provide a window handling wrapper for OpenGL.
Ok as I understand openGL is pretty useless without some windows handling like GLUT. The only way I found to install glut on Vista 64 is based on this howto:

http://tempvariable.blogspot.com/2008/02/installing-freeglut-on-visual-studio.html

which seems like the most primitive hack ever and some posters even recommend that it is NOT used (further the .bat file does not work in vista).

Is it really in the year 2008 only possible to get started programming OpenGL following such a primitive guide? I can't believe that this is the way that openGL is used in the industry.

There's plenty of OpenGL windowing wrappers other than GLUT.

I personally like SDL.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

Quote:Original post by mlt
Ok as I understand openGL is pretty useless without some windows handling like GLUT.

Actually GLUT is more like a utility library for beginners to skip window handling drudgery for a while and just focus on learning opengl.

For window handling GLUT or another 3rd party library is not crucial. from amateur to professional, people are either writing their window handling routines which is not that hard to create or using a game/graphics engine which includes window handling as a tiny integral part.

I use SDL and it works well.
Without glut, you just type (or copy-paste) 97 lines of code, and you're ready to use OpenGL and windowing directly. 97 lines - a coffee break's time to find and paste. So, you don't "have" to use a windowing wrapper, handling a window with keystrokes, mouse and resizing is easy. Plus, you get total control and can design your game's loops in the way you want.
I'd suggest trying out SFML as well. Here is their site tutorial on using OpenGL.
I prefer Qt4 as mine, since it is cross-platform, well developed by paid programmers so you know it won't die or go stray like SDL, SFML, has audio that supports mp3, ogg, flac etc depending on os, networking, xml, image class etc. I use it and never looked back since win32 is complicated and too many lines to achieve certain effects. And SDL, win32 api are C based. Qt4 is C++. And MFC is too buggy and just plain ugly like win32. But this is my opinion. But you can just try each one and see for yourself, because what we say are just opinions and your actually view can change.
Quote:Original post by mlt
Ok as I understand openGL is pretty useless without some windows handling like GLUT.

OpenGL is a library for drawing. Without a window, where should OpenGL draw onto? Can you name me some library that can use GPU acceleration without a window?

And, already mentioned by the others above, there are a lot of window programing interfaces other than GLUT. Most of them can work with OpenGL (Maybe I should say all of them). Just pick one you find it comfortable.

(...Funny mlt...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement