Game: Get Off My Lawn!

Started by
9 comments, last by Kuladus 14 years, 11 months ago
My pyweek8 entry Get Off My Lawn is now available on my site. Enjoy! A video is available here. Some screenshots: [Edited by - Kuladus on May 30, 2009 11:16:21 PM]
Advertisement
Hi,
I downloaded and unzipped http://users.on.net/~eigenbom/files/GOML_win.zip. The README file stated that I needed to download other files. I didn't do that because that's even more time consuming than simply testing an application. I was hoping I could click on an .EXE and that the program would launch.

Is it possible to add a DLL or something so full installs of Python (I think that was it) wouldn't be necessary?

Have you got any screen shots? Screenies are always great for demonstrating apps that aren't easily run.

Incidentally I liked your Eigenbom image. Did you create that?

Regards,
Chuck
Chuck,

Thanks for downloading the game.

If you downloaded the Windows version (GOML_win.zip) then you do NOT need any other dependencies. The readme.txt says:

"
RUNNING THE GAME:

Windows: Run the run_game executable.
"

So simply double click run_game.exe to play the game. :)

If you have any other issues running the game I would like to hear about it.

Incidently, the game does run on Mac and Linux, but you will need Python2.6 to play it. If anyone wants to do a mac build for me then I'd be more than happy to host it.

Cheers,
Ben

ps. yep, made the logo -- my blog ( http://eigenbom.blogspot.com/ ) has other images I've drawn that you may like. Get Off My Lawn is in the same style too.

Downloaded the game (Ubuntu 8.10), made the two scripts executable, tried running both, ended up with two files "os" and "sys" which contained postscript code and were allegedly created by ImageMagick. Naturally it didn't work in the end, since not only did I not download additional files (not a very sound distribution strategy - any reason you can't include them?) but my python is still 2.5, with no version upgrade in sight :(.

On the upside, the title of your game has given me an idea for an interesting (and unrelated, don't worry) game design. So, thanks!
lightbringer --

thanks for the info. You only need to run run_game.py, but using python 2.5 obviously has caused some issues. Sorry about that. As for the distribution stragety -- You only need Python to run the game -- if the one other dependency (AVBin) isn't found then the sound is disabled, but the game still runs.

I have one suggestion if you don't want to upgrade your python version, delete all the .pyc files in all the subdirs, then try running it again. If that doesn't work then I'm out of ideas. :P

You should check out the other pyweek8 entries (there's over 50 i think), as they are all based on the same theme: "Get off my lawn".

chuck --

I've added some screenshots to the game page, and have embedded them in the original post here also.

[Edited by - Kuladus on May 30, 2009 11:17:11 PM]
It's not that I don't want to upgrade - I'm using Ubuntu's distribution system to manage python, and there is no 8.10 backport of python 2.6+ yet. Tried your suggestion to delete the pyc files. I no longer get random files generated in the main directory, but I got this:

stani@parn:~/Desktop/Get_Off_My_Lawn$ python run_game.py src/game.py:810: Warning: 'as' will become a reserved keyword in Python 2.6Traceback (most recent call last):  File "run_game.py", line 4, in <module>    import game  File "src/game.py", line 810    except Exception as e:                      ^SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Looks like a 2.5 issue to me, though I don't really use python (yet).

Tried it with 3.0 also, but I guess python 3.0 is not backward-compatible.

stani@parn:~/Desktop/Get_Off_My_Lawn$ python3 run_game.py Traceback (most recent call last):  File "run_game.py", line 4, in <module>    import game  File "src/game.py", line 381    print "game event: ", str                       ^SyntaxError: invalid syntax
Ah, yes that is a version issue. :S

Assuming this is the only problem:
In "src/game.py" you can replace "Exception as e:" with "Exception, e:" to make it python2.5 compatible (i hope!)

Let me know how it goes, if it works I'll bundle a Python2.5 src version.

Cheers,
B

EDIT: Just saw your python3.0 comment ... Yep Python3.0 breaks the old "print foo" syntax. I've been trying to adapt but some things slip through. The py2to3 util should fix all that ... but i doubt pyglet works well with py3.
Well, with that little edit it did indeed start. I get a green screen with white text on it, and the console reports disabling of the sound. The game won't advance or accept any input, however. I'm not running SCIM or anything, so I dunno what's up.
lb -- that's a shame, but thanks for trying! Possibly installing avbin might help - but I doubt it. I'll post a video soon so you can see it in action.

Cheers,
B
Hi,
I ran the .exe as you said. Didn't work! The message box directed me to the .log file. Here are the contents.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "run_game.py", line 11, in <module>
File "game.pyo", line 63, in __init__
File "pyglet\window\win32\__init__.pyo", line 131, in __init__
File "pyglet\window\__init__.pyo", line 558, in __init__
File "pyglet\window\win32\__init__.pyo", line 261, in _create
File "pyglet\gl\win32.pyo", line 206, in attach
pyglet.gl.ContextException: Unable to share contexts

Cool screenshots! I guess these include your artwork...since the images are similar to your website.

Regards,
Chuck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement