Best 'Beginner' programming books

Started by
15 comments, last by the_programmer_guy 22 years, 9 months ago
I want to see what you think is the best "Beginner" books for the following catogories: C C++ Java Assembly Game Programming (in C/C++/Java) OpenGL Direct X Windows Programming 3D programming And any others you see appropriate.... Thanks --DAVID-- MASTER THE OTHERSIDE OF GAMING --DEVELOPMENT--
--DAVID--MASTER THE OTHERSIDE OF GAMING--DEVELOPMENT--
Advertisement
Tricks of the windows game programming gurus is a must have book
I learned C from a book called C in plain english.

http://www.positech.co.uk
I learned C from C: How to Program by Deitel & Deitel
I learned C++ from C++: How to Program by Deitel & Deitel
Both books are in their 3rd edition now.
I''m still reading Code Complete and Trick of the Windows Game Programming Gurus.

I don''t know if Deitel & Deitel make the "best" books, but they are good at teaching the language(s), and they have alot of books out there. Not on game programming though...

And, Cliffski, have you read C++ in plain english? I do believe I saw that in Borders last week. I think I''m going to pick that up just to see how it teaches C++.
i learned c and c++ in school as well from books.
it doesn''t make sense, if I am going to tell what my c/c++ books are called, unless you are german.
currently i am going through this opengl book:
OpenGL Game Programming

this book is fantastic !
great ! if you are going to learn opengl programming, this is your book. ok it doesn''t cover EVERYTHING of opengl, but you get enough knowledge to learn advanced things for yourself, from other resources.

ehm, yes:
this book also covers DiretInput and DirectSound with dx8

i learned java in school, but i got a book too:
"GoTo Java 2". it is a nice book indeed. covers almost everything of java.

Homepage
. . . : : thnx in advance : : . . .
Currently I''m learning C++ from the book "Sams Teach yourself C++ in 21 Days." I''m on day 6 (I got it yesterday ^_^), and I really recommend it.

><[[[''> ~ Insert signature here ~ <'']]]><
Anonymous Programmer
Yeah, i know java and are now wanting to head onto C,C++.... i will probably get a few books, mainly the sams ones and the Deitel & Deitel ones...... oh well, late nights learning, but it will be worth it!!!
--DAVID--MASTER THE OTHERSIDE OF GAMING--DEVELOPMENT--
Personally I dont like buying C++ books, so if I need to know something or learn c++ again(forget what you dont use ) I
will goto places like http://www.informit.com/ and read the online c/c++ stuff for free.

As far as Directx goes I learned alot from the sdk help files, and another great book is Inside Directx 5.0 by microsoft press, it covered all areas of directx except direct3d and covered them well IMHO. Of course with 8 being out it is a bit old and also its more of a refrence book than a tutorial type book , but still a great book.

I havent really looked into openGL much so I dont have any commits on that other than ill probally learn it from the help files and info on the net.

Windows programming I learned from msdn and the directx sdk.

Basiclly what I recommend is if you dont have alot of money to spend , check out the online options such as informit, and sdk help files/tutorials on the web between that you should be able to learn anything you need to learn.
Im currently learning C which will be my first Language from a sama book titled C Programming in 12 Easy Lessons. It came prepackaged with Turbo C++ lite but Ive been using Dev C++ instead. I wanted a full version compiler with a better IDE and more library functions preloaded. After C Im probably going to start C++ and Java. I havent looked into the books on that yet. Ive seen C++ for dummies in Waldens, and Im considering that one.
If they thought Mortal Kombat was bad wait'll they get a load a my creation.
Sam''s "Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days" is an excellent book for learning C++. I recomend it.
Hmmmm, I am a newbie myself, and I really like C++: How to Program by Deitel and Deitel, its the only book I have seen that shows it in plain english and it came with a CD I have yet to find, but I am using 2nd edition and will go soon to pick up 3rd.

Happy Programming
Me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement