Untitled - Procedural world game

Started by
40 comments, last by Kaptein 12 years, 5 months ago
If you intend to type out "what is the difference between this project and minecraft" and subsequently press post, please save yourself the trouble. The question is not going to be answered. I'm not a/the game designer. I don't have that answer. Obviously it's not going to be the same.

Team name:

Not a registered company. A group of extremely skilled and dedicated programmers.

Project name:
The project is currently untitled. The working title is "fbcraft".

Brief description:
I am programming a block-world engine. It is essentially a procedurally generated world of blocks that is endless in every x/z direction. The world is not flat as is common in games. You can fly high enough to not see the ground, build over the clouds, and dig down and make an underground fort, if that's what you'd want to do.
The world is generated as the player moves around, and everything is modifiable by the player. Add/place and remove/mine blocks, craft items, blocks, explore with others.
The engine is currently a prototype, and so is the generator, the server network, the graphics and everything else. Just as it should be. We are close to the next phase, and soon the project will need a name!

Target aim:
The first step is to make a better game than what is currently minecraft, in every possible way. Which has been very hard. Much respect to minecrafts single developer!
This project is going to be massive in scope, and there will be no singleplayer ability whatsoever. It already has functional multiplayer deep-rooted into the client. Prototype server is always up and running.
The aim is to release something that is fun to play for a selected portion of players in give or take 3-5 years from now. The main reason for this being scalability. As such, the game must be the best game for a specific player group. And you can never please everyone anyways.

Compensation:
You will be paid duly, if you work tirelessly just like everyone else on this project. The people already working on the project are people I know from way back, and I asked them because they have a never-say-die attitude, and tirelessly man up and get things done (eventually!).
If the same applies to you, you should not give compensation a second thought, as it will be distributed equally.

Technology:
It is currently using a modern OpenGL pipeline namely 3.x, in compatibility mode. That may change to core 3.x sooner rather than later at my discretion.
The game is very complex and the sheer amount of data puts restrictions on what can be done concerning fillrate, data amount, visibility range etc.
(Don't apply if you have a computer that can't play Crysis on normal setting, or a similarly old game.)
We are working with everything maxed out which allows us to see the whole picture at all times. (Though you can certainly tune it down quite alot if you must)
Currently using all kinds of graphical fancy-stuff. I'm working on getting as much in there as possible as long as it doesn't demolish my personal crappy mobile GPU =)

The engine is constructed in such a way that anything of any size can be added anywhere, anytime. Literally.
Huge trees, mushrooms, castles... if you can imagine it, it can be added to the game without difficulty. Well, as long as it can be made in blocks. Imagination <= limit.
Other features already implemented are: walk on loose ground, and it will fall under you, dynamic waterflow (ie. player creates a riversystem), block types that emit various forms of colored lighting, warm and cold, hot and dry areas, continents, mountains, oasis, small islands, flying islands...

Talent needed:
If you feel you can provide something to this project, tell me what you can do, and we'll talk it over. Currently we need someone who can work magic in zbrush (or similar). CrazyBump and its ilk doesn't count.
We also need music, sound and if you have a very good feel for how to construct objects, maybe you feel like trying your hand at constructing all kinds of objects in the game.

Team structure:

I am the main programmer, making the actual engine. It currently has around 30,000 lines or so of heavily optimized code due to the fact that this isn't a run-of-the-mill project.
We also have a generator programmer who does mathematical things that make my head hurt.
And finally, an expert lattice network programmer who theorizes in lattice networking, and currently has a prototype lattice network up and running. The first of its particular kind? Yes.
We have a spriter who makes item and all kinds of textures (sprites), and currently has made all the materials in the game in 16x16 pixels. We'd need someone to make a different set for 64x64 or higher.
We have quite a few testers who never do what I tell them, and thus things break and I happily fix them! le sigh

None.
New screenshot

old screenshot
old screenshot

Contacts:
fwsgonzo/hotmail/com

Previous Work by Team:
Personally: Engines, APIs and other stuff most people wouldn't touch with a tenfoot pole. Also daemons, networking stuff. (blabla), 15 years experience
hideki: an incredible amount of projects finished.. protracker, hw sound system, micro stereoscope, ... you name it, he's made it, 3 decades experience
remorse: lattice, mesh and tella networking, 2 decades experience
Everyone in the team has proved themselves by bringing previous work to the table and shown ability to finish what they start.

Additional Info:
You need to be able to work diligently, when you can. Don't apply if you don't have time. This project will likely last decades (no joke!)
You must take critiscism, and give it. We work better when we know what must be done. When something is wrong, don't wait for someone else to point it out for you; man up and do it.
Please don't apply just to play "the game". Im sad to say, that people apply to do just that. Besides, Im not adding the last stuff first. There is literally nothing to play.
Try again in a year, or two.

NONE
Advertisement
[s]We are still looking for an artist, modeler, or both.

Also, many thanks for business offers, however these will be declined.
There are many reasons for this, including the fact that this project is only 3 months old. I will reopen the possibility approx. a year from now.
In short, we will see. [/s]
Sounds cool but also looks like a free minecraft the only differences is you can go higher and dig deeper
[s]New opening in project: Sound designer
Read main post for info!

EDIT: We may be open to a general game designer as well, who will make sure the gameplay rivals the world.
This position is only half-open for many reasons, such as the fact that this project is private. [/s]
[s]Thanks for all the offers, but we need a Soung Designer :)
We may also need a Game Designer who is strong in Legend of Zelda, and what it once stood for (think LttP and LA)

So, if you are interested, and you are strong in the force, please let me know.[/s]

Here is more bait: Carrot
[s]Still looking for a good sound designer![/s]

Latest screenshot
A few question on the design direction of your game.

Do you hope to implement a sort of "campaign mode" using the Zelda series as a point of reference- or do you wish to just draw from the action adventure portion of the game for inspiration. Since the world will be limited only by the users means and will be presumably randomly generated though savable, do you hope to write background on the world or it's inhabitants? Will the world have intelligent inhabitants (AI you can interact with)?
No, there is no campaign or any pre-set gameplay, there are and never will be any quests, in the same way there are no pre-placed NPCs, but villages can be procedurally generated.
any functionality implemented must adhere to the rules of unlimited creativity, which in itself does not put any restrictions on design
it just makes it harder to accomplish, such as procedurally generated dungeons with the objective of "completing it", whatever that entails
but, i hope i did make myself crystal clear: we are only looking for extremely experienced never-say-die people

And another screen
Still need [s]sound designer, and possibly[/s] game designer :)

Random screen
[s]Sound designer spot still open! Door half-closed[/s] :)

Fresh out of the oven

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement