Where do game developers get ideas from?

Started by
21 comments, last by Zeypher 13 years, 1 month ago
Well for me, I get ideas from playing lots of video games and tv.I also get ideas from outside though I don't remember.Basically when I snap my fingers, It means that I got an idea on my mind and I will immediately write it down before it gets erased(Yes I can forget things fast.Pretty stupid right).

I blame myself for not getting any inspiration from the outside but only insidehuh.gif
Advertisement
I get my ideas from life experiences, video games, movies, reading books, hanging with friends and nephews. I also get ideas from board games, trading card games, and walking or riding my bike.

For my survival horror board game, I got my inspiration from working at a cemetery for two full years in two different locations. I worked all shifts.
So naturally something had to giev with ideas, suggestions, and a story line.
DREAMS. Atleast I do.

I have the CRAZIEST DREAMS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT COMES FROM. LET ME TELL YOU OF A RECENT ONE

I drank a bottle of water and my roommate became enraged and it basically became a huge shouting match. I was like wtf, all I did was drink this water wtf. Next thing you know, a few more people came at me...all of them enraged. So I left and began walking down the street. As I walked down the street, I looked in someones house and saw that he was a radio DJ and elmo from sesame street was handling the broadcast equipment. So next, I realized I needed to find some work and I went in and asked this black guy if anyone was hiring. He said no and that I better be careful because they execute people around here for asking for jobs. So I walked down the street a bit more and met a farmer. He sold me a goat...I was gonna breed it and slaughter it later...start my own farm. But then I became fond of the goat (not in a strange way, almost like a dog) and we traveled the country. And then I met these two women who let me stay with them. All of a sudden I was chained to a bed and the goat was knocked out beside me unconscious. And the two women were laughing as I faded into unconsciousness also. When I awoke, my goat had been killed and apparently the women had "violated me in my sleep". So then I broke from the chains and ran and they sent dogs after me. I killed the leader of the dogs and then they stopped. Suddenly, the women became sorry for what they did and began to cry.

At this point, I guess I began to wake up because I realized that if I had two sexy women fondling me, I wouldn't have minded much. So I moved over to one of the women who was still crying and I tried to unbutton her blouse.

...then I woke up.

WTF.
They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!

DREAMS. Atleast I do.

I have the CRAZIEST DREAMS AND I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT COMES FROM. LET ME TELL YOU OF A RECENT ONE

I drank a bottle of water and my roommate became enraged and it basically became a huge shouting match. I was like wtf, all I did was drink this water wtf. Next thing you know, a few more people came at me...all of them enraged. So I left and began walking down the street. As I walked down the street, I looked in someones house and saw that he was a radio DJ and elmo from sesame street was handling the broadcast equipment. So next, I realized I needed to find some work and I went in and asked this black guy if anyone was hiring. He said no and that I better be careful because they execute people around here for asking for jobs. So I walked down the street a bit more and met a farmer. He sold me a goat...I was gonna breed it and slaughter it later...start my own farm. But then I became fond of the goat (not in a strange way, almost like a dog) and we traveled the country. And then I met these two women who let me stay with them. All of a sudden I was chained to a bed and the goat was knocked out beside me unconscious. And the two women were laughing as I faded into unconsciousness also. When I awoke, my goat had been killed and apparently the women had "violated me in my sleep". So then I broke from the chains and ran and they sent dogs after me. I killed the leader of the dogs and then they stopped. Suddenly, the women became sorry for what they did and began to cry.

At this point, I guess I began to wake up because I realized that if I had two sexy women fondling me, I wouldn't have minded much. So I moved over to one of the women who was still crying and I tried to unbutton her blouse.

...then I woke up.

WTF.

You'd be surprised if you knew how many people have these encounters with entities (here "Succibi", since you're presumeable a young male) that mess with you.
In these techno-times, you could just say that your brain (the front cortex, where long term memory and prediction resides) is preparing you for tackling real-life encounters with say women, as well as other cases of acting under extreme stress.

Perhaps you have a stressing job, relation or thing that concern or bother you. You spend many cycles pondering the issues, but not resolving them, so they show up during REM sleep, where AFAIK the short-term memory "fragments-of-thoughts" is treated and if nessesary, committed to long-term synapses. Most is likely to be garbage, you know: grocery shopping list, a scary movie, a dog barked at you, fantasies, etc., but others may be the real important stuff, you never know I guess.

You unbuttoning that one's blouse was surely you realising, that you were dreaming and thought you'd get jiggy with Lady Fantasy, you naughty lad :) (tip: it was your sister!)
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!

You'd be surprised if you knew how many people have these encounters with entities (here "Succibi", since you're presumeable a young male) that mess with you.
In these techno-times, you could just say that your brain (the front cortex, where long term memory and prediction resides) is preparing you for tackling real-life encounters with say women, as well as other cases of acting under extreme stress.

Perhaps you have a stressing job, relation or thing that concern or bother you. You spend many cycles pondering the issues, but not resolving them, so they show up during REM sleep, where AFAIK the short-term memory "fragments-of-thoughts" is treated and if nessesary, committed to long-term synapses. Most is likely to be garbage, you know: grocery shopping list, a scary movie, a dog barked at you, fantasies, etc., but others may be the real important stuff, you never know I guess.

You unbuttoning that one's blouse was surely you realising, that you were dreaming and thought you'd get jiggy with Lady Fantasy, you naughty lad :) (tip: it was your sister!)

Yes but what I'm saying is that this single dream could be the next halo series if its marketed right.

They hated on Jeezus, so you think I give a f***?!
I'm more of a programmer than storymaker, but I sometimes get good ideas for tech demos and games while walking in sorrounding area (national park just around 500 meters from my house, and really beatiful nature is here). Also sometimes watching stars helps me a bit to get ideas ... although definitely most when walking outside.

My current blog on programming, linux and stuff - http://gameprogrammerdiary.blogspot.com

Yes but what I'm saying is that this single dream could be the next halo series if its marketed right.

It could very well. Be sure to go into the dreams with the same basic set of limited abilities, weapon selection, flying etc., or you'll soon get an unbalanced game, with players quitting because of dog microing or fondle abuse. :P
It is I, the spectaculous Don Karnage! My bloodthirsty horde is on an intercept course with you. We will be shooting you and looting you in precisely... Ten minutes. Felicitations!
I rip off ideas I see other people doing.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Toilets. Lots and lots of toilets.
"I will personally burn everything I've made to the fucking ground if I think I can catch them in the flames."
~ Gabe
"I don't mean to rush you but you are keeping two civilizations waiting!"
~ Cavil, BSG.
"If it's really important to you that other people follow your True Brace Style, it just indicates you're inexperienced. Go find something productive to do."
[size=2]~ Bregma

"Well, you're not alone.

There's a club for people like that. It's called Everybody and we meet at the bar[size=2].

"

[size=2]~

[size=1]Antheus
Observe animals and see what they are doing.

Now replace animals with human animals and you have starting point.
Latest project: Sideways Racing on the iPad

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement