Easiest genre game to make?

Started by
25 comments, last by JonathanO'Brien 13 years ago

I ment like a RTS/ FPS/RPG/MMO game. But it all might depend on how advance the game are or something like that.

MMOs are the hardest. RTS/FPS/RPG are half a step easier than a MMO.

If you've never made a game before.... actually if you've never made a game that was more complex than Super Mario Bros or Sonic, than RTS/FPS/RPG/MMO are equally three Orders of Magnitude more difficult. Period.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Advertisement
There are IMHO two aspects of this - simple game mechanics and simple presentation (graphics / sounds etc.).

Games with simple graphic are for example logical games like tic-tac-toe, board games, "paper" games, tetries, card games etc. These however can have not so simple game mechanics - you usually need to program some algorithms (even if you don't add AI opponenets) because the game has to obbey some rules. They are usually slow, sometimes it's even not necessary to update graphics regularly and the game can be coded just like a windows application, for example Windows Forms in Visual Basic, with zero DirectX or OpenGL.

Games with simple mechanics are for example various simple arcades.

And then there are games with both simple graphics and mechanics, I think pong should fit here :)
"I am thinking of a number between 1 - 100. Guess the number?"

"Higher!" / "Lower!" / "That's right! Well done!"

(And I think that was the first game I ever programmed. The first dozen or so games I made were all variants from TV Game Shows.)

I only make postmodern folk adventure games, but you've probably never heard of them.
Arcade games, like space shooter or Pac man.

Space shooters only require moving backgrounds and the objects remain in tact with the client area of the screen.

Pac man related games are simple because you just move, all in one room, and collect items and the only difficult thing would be collision.

If that's too hard you could also try an even more simpler shooter game, such as one where objects just move left and right randomly and you fire at them and they fire at you.

Much simpler than a more advanced space shooter.

Then again, depends on several other factors as well, such as programming experience/skills...
If you want to exercise,
Tetris, greedy snake, gobang are good start.

https://www.kbasm.com -- My personal website

https://github.com/wqking/eventpp  eventpp -- C++ library for event dispatcher and callback list

https://github.com/cpgf/cpgf  cpgf library -- free C++ open source library for reflection, serialization, script binding, callbacks, and meta data for OpenGL Box2D, SFML and Irrlicht.

If you want to exercise,

Actually, for 6 month students on C++ and other programming languages, a snake/tetris game would be still complex.

The real EASIEST and most FASTEST game one could make would be a ping pong game, which is deemed as a traditional "arcade" kind of game like pac man or simple space shooter types.

The types you mentioned take more of an engine structure and such, which must implement the flow through the game, especially a game like tetris.

That's not something I would call "easy", especially for someone fresh to game developing.

[quote name='wqking' timestamp='1302598505' post='4797434']
If you want to exercise,

Actually, for 6 month students on C++ and other programming languages, a snake/tetris game would be still complex.

The real EASIEST and most FASTEST game one could make would be a ping pong game, which is deemed as a traditional "arcade" kind of game like pac man or simple space shooter types.

The types you mentioned take more of an engine structure and such, which must implement the flow through the game, especially a game like tetris.

That's not something I would call "easy", especially for someone fresh to game developing.
[/quote]

You don't need a game engine for tetris or snake. Programming is difficult, but it's definitely possible for someone who has only been learning for a couple of days to make these sort of games.
Game making is not easy (or at least you'll encounter at least one that's hard to make). If you cannot accept that, don't program.
Snake is hard for a beginner. That doesn't mean it's impossible. A Scorched Earth type game is also hard for a beginner. That was my first game, I started it after 4 months of not to extensive learning.
Dress up :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement