GameDev.net Community Challenge!

Started by
319 comments, last by AndyEsser 12 years, 7 months ago

Also, having just finished my degree the day before, I was very tired :).
I apologise if the scores are a little harsh.

Not at all! When it comes to contest scoring, harsh is better than lenient.

Thanks for volunteering in the first place. smile.gif
Advertisement

[quote name='d000hg' timestamp='1305723246' post='4812494']
[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1305705355' post='4812324']
i did not see anybody haveing this issue with MC Hammer Toss
Looks like you need Visual C++ redists, I'm guessing you don't work in C++ on that machine, not on Visual Studio at least?
[/quote]
No, I wasn't using Visual C++. (I use MinGW)
I actually got that error once before I think, but I can't remember what I did to fix it. Maybe run as admin?
Check if the game directory has libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and mingwm10.dll in the same folder with the executable.
[/quote]

I stand corrected. Yes, it is (probably) the Visual Studio runtime, which apparently is a dependency for some reason (according to Dependency Walker).
This MSVCRT.dll is pre-installed on every Windows OS that is Windows 2000 or above, so if you are using Windows 98 or something, it won't be pre-installed on your machine. Technically, I can't redistribute it either, but it can be downloaded and installed from Microsoft's websites (I just don't know where from).

Apparently the C++ standard library depends on it, when running on Windows. ohmy.gif I never knew this before, so my information may be lacking. Sorry I can't be of more help; this is interesting knowledge for me though. I'll have to take account of this in the future.
Servant of the Lord, did you set things up so that one review would come out every hour?

The suspense... It's unbearable! biggrin.gif

Servant of the Lord, did you set things up so that one review would come out every hour?

Heheh, that'd just be cruel! No, I spaced them a few minutes apart so that the order I reviewed them would be the order that they are listed in.
Something went wrong though, while I was absent, and only a few of them actually got posted. dry.gif

I'll just manually post them all now. (Note: I haven't reviewed ryan20fun's, XXChester's, or japro's games yet since I was absent)

Your review is here. [size="1"](Remember, I'm not a judge, this is a fellow competitor's review, and it doesn't officially count for anything)
My reviews will be posted in a few hours. The last couple days at work have been pretty crazy hours, with a big push for a demo. I spent some time reviewing the games last night and I'll wrap it up tonight.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

[quote name='kiwibonga' timestamp='1305765989' post='4812822']

Heheh, that'd just be cruel! No, I spaced them a few minutes apart so that the order I reviewed them would be the order that they are listed in.
Something went wrong though, while I was absent, and only a few of them actually got posted. dry.gif

I'll just manually post them all now. (Note: I haven't reviewed ryan20fun's, XXChester's, or japro's games yet since I was absent)

Your review is here. [size="1"](Remember, I'm not a judge, this is a fellow competitor's review, and it doesn't officially count for anything)
[/quote]

Are you still struggling to download my game? The suspense of another review/critique is killing me I a checking back like every 5 minutes haha. If you still cannot download the file I will throw it up somewhere else.

Remember to mark someones post as helpful if you found it so.

Journal:

http://www.gamedev.net/blog/908-xxchesters-blog/

Portfolio:

http://www.BrandonMcCulligh.ca

Company:

www.gwnp.ca

Are you still struggling to download my game? The suspense of another review/critique is killing me I a checking back like every 5 minutes haha. If you still cannot download the file I will throw it up somewhere else.

Nope, I downloaded it, and haven't had a chance to play it yet. I've been greatly looking forward to it, though. [s]I'll review it tonight and post sometime during the night for you to read tomorrow.[/s] I'll review it tomorrow and post it.
Had a stomach bug that kept a bucket in my lap and my ass on the Toilet from Sunday-Monday, and the last couple of days I had to make up for the work around home I missed, but here was what my entry could have been:
crisis_start.png
http://dl.dropbox.co...nage-Crisis.apk
Teenage-Crisis-qr.png

[quote name='Servant of the Lord' timestamp='1305738726' post='4812604']
[quote name='d000hg' timestamp='1305723246' post='4812494']
[quote name='ryan20fun' timestamp='1305705355' post='4812324']
i did not see anybody haveing this issue with MC Hammer Toss
Looks like you need Visual C++ redists, I'm guessing you don't work in C++ on that machine, not on Visual Studio at least?
[/quote]
No, I wasn't using Visual C++. (I use MinGW)
I actually got that error once before I think, but I can't remember what I did to fix it. Maybe run as admin?
Check if the game directory has libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll and mingwm10.dll in the same folder with the executable.
[/quote]

I stand corrected. Yes, it is (probably) the Visual Studio runtime, which apparently is a dependency for some reason (according to Dependency Walker).
This MSVCRT.dll is pre-installed on every Windows OS that is Windows 2000 or above, so if you are using Windows 98 or something, it won't be pre-installed on your machine. Technically, I can't redistribute it either, but it can be downloaded and installed from Microsoft's websites (I just don't know where from).

Apparently the C++ standard library depends on it, when running on Windows. ohmy.gif I never knew this before, so my information may be lacking. Sorry I can't be of more help; this is interesting knowledge for me though. I'll have to take account of this in the future.
[/quote]

ok, do you know what version of the MSVCRT library it needs, for example the apps and stuff i build now need MSVCRT 10 (10 is in the name at the end) but i am trying the VS2008 Runtime if that dont work i will try SP1 of the VS2008 C++ Runtime.
and i am using Windows XP x64 which is thechnically Windows Server 2003 x64.

Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Disclaimer: Each post of mine is intended as an attempt of helping and/or bringing some meaningfull insight to the topic at hand. Due to my nature, my good intentions will not always be plainly visible. I apologise in advance and assure you I mean no harm and do not intend to insult anyone.

After a couple hours of analysis of the game:

AndyEsser (Bubbles) - 5.5
FTUE - 1.0 - Install was simple, just unzip and run. There was no in game explanation or an included readme to know how to play the game, so I died several times right off the bat before I knew how to play.
G/A - 1.5 - Visually it was actually pretty nice with clean assets and appealing colors. There wasn't any audio at all.
Theme - 1.5 - Definitely matched the theme, but didn't have an interesting twist.
Fun - 1.5 - Hard to say, but once I figured it out I did give it a number of playthroughs.

CamJackson (Ewe Can't Touch This) - 5.0
FTUE - 1.0 - Install was simple, just clicked the web link and allowed the plug-in to be installed. There was no in game explanation for how to play. I did manage to get a few points before my first death, though.
G/A - 1.5 - Visuals are very crisp, pleasant looking, and understandable. There wasn't any audio at all.
Theme - 0.5 - Other than obvious obstacles, I didn't really see the theme employed.
Fun - 2.0 - I played to the point of maxing out all of my attributes, but I still couldn't see how I'd get 5000 points in one go. Maybe I was doing it wrong, but with everything maxed up I was about to get up to about 2500 in a go. It did keep me engaged long enough to max everything.

j0mich01 (Bubble Time) - 7.5
FTUE - 2.0 - Installed the XNA Redist, unzipped the game, and it ran the .exe. Included a clear readme and had an in-game instructions menu option! The instructions weren't implicit with your objective (destroy the other bubbles, it isn't just "don't touch them") and it wasn't tutorialized.
G/A - 2.0 - Elegantly simple graphics and an NES-style shoot 'em up audio track.
Theme - 1.5 - Straight forward, destroy the other bubbles without letting them touch you.
Fun - 2.0 - Had a fair amount of depth to the gameplay while being kind of twitch play at the same time.

japro (Demo Thingy) - 3.5
FTUE - 1.5 - Unzipped and ran the .exe. Included a readme txt file, which was pretty clear on how to play the demo.
G/A - 1.5 - Simple, but effective use of 3d. I thought the visual style was very interesting. No audio.
Theme - 0.0 - No gameplay, so no use of theme at all.
Fun - 0.5 - There is no gameplay, but at least you can explore :)

kiwibonga (Tunnel Jumper) - 8.5
FTUE - 2.5 - Unzipped and ran fine. No readme, but had instructions right in front of you when you start the game! The very first move was tutorialized, which is great.
G/A - 2.0 - I enjoyed the rather interesting visuals and the audio. The angle adjustment wasn't visually readable all that well, though.
Theme - 1.5 - Right on with the theme, but no cool twist. There was just a bunch of stuff that would kill you if you touched it.
Fun - 2.5 - This was my favorite to play, actually.

Mussi (Hammertime) - 4.5
FTUE - 1.0 - Installation was a pain, as I didn't have the exact directx 3d dll it was looking for, so I had the separate installs before being able to play it. The game includes a readme file, but no instructions in game.
G/A - 1.5 - Pretty slick 3d graphics, but no audio.
Theme - 0.5 - Other than the obvious fact that you don't want a bad guy to hit you, I'm not sure how the theme was employed.
Fun - 1.5 - Definitely had some interesting mechanics, but there wasn't any feedback on if I was doing any damage to the boss guy or how much life I had.

Muzz5 (Airplane) - 3.5
FTUE - 1.5 - Easy to 'install', just clicked on the link and loaded into the game. The instructions were in game, but they were really hard to read. The goal was spelled out 'survive', but it wasn't clear in game what I was trying to survive from.
G/A - 1.0 - Visuals were pretty clear, the plane and ground. There was no audio.
Theme - 0.5 - You weren't supposed to touch the ground, I get that, but I'm not sure how else the theme was tied in?
Fun - 0.5 - Hate to dog on this too much, but I think you were just too ambitious for the timeframe. Not having airplanes controls sucks (down to lift, up to fall), not really having a clear goal, and restarting back to 'Go' seemingly randomly led to an unenjoyable experience.

ryan20fun - 5.5
FTUE - 1.5 - Getting this to run was a pain in the butt with multiple installations to get it to run. Had simple in game instructions that were pretty straight forward.
G/A - 1.5 - Visuals were clear and effective, but uninteresting. Interesting VO, but no SFX.
Theme - 1.5 - Don't let yourself get touched by the explosions, pretty straight forward.
Fun - 1.0 - It was pretty easy to pick up, but I just didn't enjoy it. I don't know how I could explain why, but the mechanics just didn't grab me.

Servant of the Lord (MC Hammer Toss) - 7.0
FTUE - 2.5 - Getting the game to run was nice and simple, just unzip and run. Controls were part of the back drop, but easily understandable as it was starting to scroll. Nice work there.
G/A - 1.0 - Graphics were decent enough to not distract from the gameplay, but they weren't catching either. There wasn't any audio.
Theme - 2.5 - Employed the theme doubly, with not being able to catch the crystal and having to avoid the obstacles.
Fun - 1.0 - Very subjective, I know, but it just wasn't fun to me. You chase a crystal that you simply can't touch. It is like dangling a hot dog in front of a dog and always being one pace in front of the dog, never letting the dog eat it. Kinda frustrating in that aspect.

slayemin (Superstar) - 5.0
FTUE - 1.5 - Required the XNA 3.1 Redistributable, but didn't provide a link to it, just a note in the readme. I thought I couldn't review it because I had already installed the 4.0 Redist and it still wasn't working, but you specifically need the 3.1 version. Had in-game instructions, which is a plus.
G/A - 1.0 - Visuals served their purpose, but abstract symbols would have done the job just as well. No audio.
Theme - 1.5 - Your job was to avoid the girls, which was basically the theme.
Fun - 1.0 - Wasn't my cup of tea, but did have gameplay.

XXChester (Rob, The Dumb Ass Robber) - 7.0
FTUE - 2.0 - Installer installs any dependencies you need (awesome!), there are in game instructions, and the gameplay was easy to understand. It didn't explain how the detection works, though I figured it out after the first time I got caught.
G/A - 2.0 - Ugly but effective graphics, sound effects, and interesting VO.
Theme - 1.5 - Straight forward, don't let the coppers touch you.
Fun - 1.5 - Semi interesting mechanics that held my attention for a few playthroughs.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement