Design-tips

Started by
11 comments, last by sjaakiejj 12 years, 9 months ago
I've decided to learn more about designing a project, and my immediate idea that sprung to mind was to try to figure out which classes and/or interfaces would be needed to implement and existing game with known properties. Is there any tool I could download that could help me visualize my classes in a structured manner?
The game I landed on was The Sims 2, because it is second-in-line in a series of three games, meaning that the technology would probably be more refined, yet not too advanced. So far, I came up with some classes:

Sim - Baseclass for all types of Sim (Male, female, child, old).
Game - Responsible for ticking the simulation and running the game's functions (rendering and updating).
Renderer - Renders stuff.
AudioOutputter - Outputs audio.

I have some questions;

Does the design of the game differ based on the language of implementation?
Does anyone have ideas for more classes?

Thanks!

Edit: To come up with more classes, it would be helpful if you've actually played The Sims 2
Advertisement
view, input controller, options, game launcher, sim disease, game saver, brain, soul, animals, family, money, house, relationship, clothes, furniture, events (internal/technical), events (in sim life), navigation stuff, world, ...
Thanks!
Does anyone know of a tool to help me visualize my design?

Try using DIA if you are looking for a tool to create UML diagrams.
Works on Linux/Mac & Windows.

Either DIA as mentioned above, or my personal favourite; Violet. Violet is in Java, so it works on any operating system. It's also specific to UML, making it quite a bit easier and more convenient to use.
Thanks!
In case anyone's interested... Violet doesn't actually work. At least not on Windows 7. I get an error saying that the main class was not found. And that's after I added Java to my PATH.
"java -jar com.horstmann.violet-0.21.1.jar" works on my Windows 7 . How did you try to launch it ?

In case anyone's interested... Violet doesn't actually work. At least not on Windows 7. I get an error saying that the main class was not found. And that's after I added Java to my PATH.

6510's suggestion should do the trick. In fact, you should be able to run it simply by double clicking it, as I believe that that's how I run it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement