• Create Account

C++ what other IDE other than VC++

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
70 replies to this topic

#61 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 16675

0Likes

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

QtCreator is great*, it has intellisense, integrated debugger, and etc... I use it with MinGW (the GCC C++ compiler ported to windows). The version of MinGW that ships with QtCreator is 4.5 I think, but I manually upgraded to v4.6 which better supports the C++11 standard. (GCC is on 4.7, but that version hasn't yet been ported to MinGW and Windows yet - when it is ported, it'll almost completely implement the standard).

Hi i would be really interested in how you achieved that? Can this be done without having to rebuild qt-creator or is the switch a "compile-time option"? The problem is that i have some COM-Stuff in my qmake-project and it would be really helpful if i could get code completion to work and my hopes are that the newer version of gcc is better at working with the COM-macros

I had to rebuild the Qt APIs, because of a lack of binary compatibility between the two versions of GCC I was switching between (probably from inexperience on my part). But I didn't have to rebuild Qt Creator (the IDE).

You just specify to QtCreator what compiler to use, even using the MSVC++ compiler if you want. (On the vertical bar at the left side of the Qt IDE, hit 'Projects', and alongside "Toolchains", hit "Manage" and add a new one.

Posted Image

It can autodetect alot of installed compilers (including Clang, MinGW, GCC, and a few others) depending on where they were installed to (I think it looks in the PATH environment variable); so sometimes you don't even need to "Manage" and manually add them, you can just select it from the drop-down.

Since I have multiple Qt API installs (three?), and multiple MinGW installs (two?), I take advantage of QtCreator's custom build environments, to temporarily erase all the Windows PATH, and re-customize it just for compiling. I added paths to my Qt installs and my MinGW installs in the order of preference I have.

Posted Image

Edited by Servant of the Lord, 06 September 2012 - 09:49 AM.

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

[Fly with me on Twitter] [Google+] [My broken website]

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

Sponsor:

#62 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2456

1Likes

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:54 AM

QtCreator is great*, it has intellisense, integrated debugger, and etc... I use it with MinGW (the GCC C++ compiler ported to windows). The version of MinGW that ships with QtCreator is 4.5 I think, but I manually upgraded to v4.6 which better supports the C++11 standard. (GCC is on 4.7, but that version hasn't yet been ported to MinGW and Windows yet - when it is ported, it'll almost completely implement the standard).

This guy maintains a Windows MinGW port of newer GCC versions, currently bleeding edge 4.7; it might be worth trying.
Produci, consuma, crepa

#63 l0calh05t   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

This guy maintains a Windows MinGW port of newer GCC versions, currently bleeding edge 4.7; it might be worth trying.

I'd rather recommend http://code.google.com/p/mingw-builds/
(I see though that he also offers precompiled libraries, which can be useful)

Edited by l0calh05t, 07 September 2012 - 07:47 AM.

#64 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 16675

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:41 AM

I downloaded and got one version of MinGW 4.7 working about two months ago, but (probably because of confusion on my part) it was incompatible at a binary level with every other MinGW < 4.6 DLL. I ended up rerolling to 4.6 which turned out to also have the problem so I recompiled all the libraries I use manually (including Boost, Lua, SFML 2, and Qt - Qt took about 14 hours to compile, and Boost took probably 5 hours). Just a potential thing to be aware of.

Not wanting to recompile everything again so soon, I'll probably hold off for a few more months before updating to all the latest stables (MinGW 4.8 or whatever else will be available).

It's perfectly fine to abbreviate my username to 'Servant' rather than copy+pasting it all the time.

All glory be to the Man at the right hand... On David's throne the King will reign, and the Government will rest upon His shoulders. All the earth will see the salvation of God.                                                                                                                                                       [Need free cloud storage? I personally like DropBox]

Of Stranger Flames - [indie turn-based rpg set in a para-historical French colony] | Indie RPG development journal

#65 Servant of the Lord   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 16675

0Likes

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Heheh, didn't realize it was STL's personal webpage. That was a surprise. Especially since STL is one of the lead standard library developers for Microsoft Visual Studio's compiler, and the webpage is offering MinGW distros. Posted Image

#66 LorenzoGatti   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2456

1Likes

Posted 07 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

Moved and on 4.7.1.
Produci, consuma, crepa

#67 Inferiarum   Members   -  Reputation: 721

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:31 PM

Does vim count as an IDE? :)

#68 SimonForsman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 5715

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:09 PM

Does vim count as an IDE? Posted Image

If you configure it properly, yes :P
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm enjoying every minute of it.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#69 Inferiarum   Members   -  Reputation: 721

0Likes

Posted 09 September 2012 - 02:36 PM

But seriously i strongly recommend to try vim as an editor.
However, i am not programming a lot in C/C++ at the moment and it might be that oder IDEs are better for finding certain bugs ...

#70 l0calh05t   Members   -  Reputation: 633

0Likes

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:26 AM

Moved and on 4.7.1.

True. Accidentally posted my old bookmark.

#71 spielc   Members   -  Reputation: 104

0Likes

Posted 13 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

Hi i would be really interested in how you achieved that? Can this be done without having to rebuild qt-creator or is the switch a "compile-time option"? The problem is that i have some COM-Stuff in my qmake-project and it would be really helpful if i could get code completion to work and my hopes are that the newer version of gcc is better at working with the COM-macros

I had to rebuild the Qt APIs, because of a lack of binary compatibility between the two versions of GCC I was switching between (probably from inexperience on my part). But I didn't have to rebuild Qt Creator (the IDE).

You just specify to QtCreator what compiler to use, even using the MSVC++ compiler if you want. (On the vertical bar at the left side of the Qt IDE, hit 'Projects', and alongside "Toolchains", hit "Manage" and add a new one.

It can autodetect alot of installed compilers (including Clang, MinGW, GCC, and a few others) depending on where they were installed to (I think it looks in the PATH environment variable); so sometimes you don't even need to "Manage" and manually add them, you can just select it from the drop-down.

Since I have multiple Qt API installs (three?), and multiple MinGW installs (two?), I take advantage of QtCreator's custom build environments, to temporarily erase all the Windows PATH, and re-customize it just for compiling. I added paths to my Qt installs and my MinGW installs in the order of preference I have.

Woah thanks for the comprehensive answer! Building/compiling itself is not the problem though... I just want (or in the case of COM need) the possibility to get code-help from qt-creator and my hopes are that a newer version of mingw is better at parsing the COM+-macros. Thanks again though

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS