Best 3d modelling software for beginners?

Started by
36 comments, last by Postie 11 years, 9 months ago
Hi All!

So i recently asked a question "UDK or Unity, the best engine for beginners?" And as i explored Unity a little more i realized i'll need a 3d modelling software. From Autodesk i can get a free software and spent 2 hours downloading Autodesk Maya 2013 and reached a corrupted files message when installing after the download, so i figured i'd start over and figure out which one is best.

So for a beginner, which 3d modelling software do you think is the easiest, most helpful, and with some pretty good features?

i've heard of a few

Maya
3ds max
Cinema4

(getting sidetracked: did anyone else try to download Maya 2013 and get a corrupted files message and to redownload?)

Thank you for all the info, as you help my journey as an indie game dev. greatly!
Chris941
Advertisement
it's been some time since I was modelling so maybe the situation has changed, but from my experience the biggest number of tutorials has 3ds max... however it is very complex program and someone who will launch it for the first time might get lost....

It's hard to say which one is the best, everyone has it's pluses and minuses, it really depends on user, everybody is different so one likes maya, the other likes 3ds max but at the end of the day it doesn't matter which SW you are using, it's just a tool, what matters is your skill and knowledge how to use the tool

I started with cinema4d, tried blender but I then I switched for 3ds max, as I said, there ale lot of resources for this one, lot of free tutorials/videotutorials and also dvds (e.g. from gnomon workshop) and very big community, if I'm not mistaken, 3ds max is the most used in professional sphere, but internet is growing and I'm sure there are a quite big communities for other programs as well
Try here

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

It's free, and after five minutes of playing with it, seems pretty decent.

Try here

http://www.pixologic.com/sculptris/

It's free, and after five minutes of playing with it, seems pretty decent.

Sculptris definitely isn't meant for general purpose modelling, it's meant for sculpting like ZBrush or Mudbox.
It isn't all too stable yet either I'm afraid.

On the topic of modelling solutions, I think it's going to be quite hard to find one with a rich feature set and a low learning curve. If you want to get into modelling I'd advise you to use a proven application like 3DS Max if you can get a license, or blender which is a completely free, powerful and light-weight application but which has the steepest learning curve of the two IMO, and just spend a lot of time using it until you're familiar with it.

I gets all your texture budgets!

For the first time 3D game developer, a very easy to use and flexible modeling and game engine is CopperCube 3. I really like the app because it allows you to either build or import 3D models (.obj, .dae ) for props and even animated figures (.x, bliz, Milkshape) for characters, set up game play logic using a menu based approach and best yet, it publishes the game in 3 modes: HTML5 using JS & WebGL 3D for a website, Flash 11 Stage 3 AIR apps, or .EXE for local play. Its really easy to use and the publisher Amberia, makes it free to use (free version is limited t 10 level/world game).
3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.
Hello! I found myself asking that same question a few months ago, and this is what i can tell you ....

Whatever software you learn and feels comfortable for you will be the right one.
I've red COUNTLESS articles and forums asking ppl to tell me what is the best 3d modeling suit and so far the best answer (and most wise) was just that!

There are many 3d Suits that will do the job just fine

3ds Max, Maya, Blender, etc ...

You need to focus in the learning process of 3d modeling, and then decide which piece of software to use.

I personally recommend using Blender: http://www.blender.org/ especially for beginners! It has a Great community and lots of tutorials online.
It has great, Great Potential and ITS FREE! and Open Source.

But the main reason is because its actually really easy to use, it has a very nice and smooth learning curve and it could really open your eyes to the 3D way of viewing things.

I also learned how to use 3ds Max, because its has some advantages that others dont, and its more difficult, but the idea is the same.

My conclution is: Dont abandon any piece of software, use them, try them out, see how it feels to work with it .... and then.... make a choise, but my guess is that you will end up loving Both smile.png

hope this was helpful biggrin.png

The tools will not make you an artist, your talent will . . . . ph34r.png
DeleD is simple & free. Can import/export x-files, 3ds, obj, collada
If you do use pixeologic Sculptris, also get Hexagon (free) because you can GO-Z between them and Hex has the Sub-D and other tools needed for figure modeling. Also for rigging figures to animate for a game check FragMosoft, or DAZ DS4. Finally if you want a lowpoly modeler for either older engines or HTML5 / WebGL work look into MilkShape 3D as it animates and can apply motion capture BHV files skeletal animation. Wings 3D is also great free and simple modeler. Blender is powerful and can be daunting for a beginner.
3DSkyDome.com animated sky boxes and instant 3d Android & WebGL publishing.
I recommend Cinama4d, it is really easy to use. Even I as programmer could made some basic stuff after 1-2 hours.
As indie developer don't forget to check the price of modelling software. Cinema4D is pretty affordable if you are going to commercial software.

And off course there is always a Blender - for free.
This list is pretty comprehensive. It doesn't mention a couple fringe packages like Sketchup Pro ( modeller only ) or Truespace ( available free, but effectively dead ), but is pretty comprehensive.

The problem is budget.

Max, Maya and Softimage, since being purchased by Autodesk, are all brutally expensive... starting at 3K and going upwards to 5. ( Which is a shame, as prices were trending downward before the buyout. A version of SI could be had for just over 500$ ).

Houdini is several grand as well, Lightwave is around 1000$, but isnt really doing anything since the core team left to start Modo. Speaking of which, Modo is around a grand and isnt a full featured package yet; Cinema4D also starts around the 1000$ mark, but can go upwards towards 3 grand. On the more affordable side of things there is Silo (200$), which is an awesome package, but seems to have had development dropped for it. There is also Cheetah for 100$, but it is Mac only.

Then there are the free packages, of which Blender leads the pack. On top of the is the wonderful Wings 3D modeller, which is a spiritual successor to Nichimen's nWorlds ( or its actual successors Mirai and Nendo, which are both also defunct ) and works wonderfully.

So really, in the end, a lot of it comes down to budget. If you have none, that makes it easy. Blender, and optionally, Wings.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement