Best 3d modelling software for beginners?

Started by
36 comments, last by Postie 11 years, 9 months ago

Hi All!

So i recently asked a question "UDK or Unity, the best engine for beginners?" And as i explored Unity a little more i realized i'll need a 3d modelling software. From Autodesk i can get a free software and spent 2 hours downloading Autodesk Maya 2013 and reached a corrupted files message when installing after the download, so i figured i'd start over and figure out which one is best.

So for a beginner, which 3d modelling software do you think is the easiest, most helpful, and with some pretty good features?

i've heard of a few

Maya
3ds max
Cinema4

(getting sidetracked: did anyone else try to download Maya 2013 and get a corrupted files message and to redownload?)

Thank you for all the info, as you help my journey as an indie game dev. greatly!
Chris941

Maya is good. I recommend you contact Autodesk support about your problem.
Advertisement
Blender is the best thing for beginners in that it is free and comprehensive. It's bad for beginners in that there is a really really steep learning curve to using it, but this pretty much goes with the territory of 3D modelling.
I personally use a mix of wings and/or sketchup.

I can't recall where I got it from but there is a directx ( .x) export plugin for sketchup which is very handy. Sketchup 8 also has collada exporters but can't UV map them which is usually required, the .x exporter I have seems fully capable of generating the accompanying texture/material data equivelants itself to the point that XNA can usually just import it without fuss from what I've seen online (not tried it myself yet)

Wings has a fairly large catalogue of supported file formats (import and export) and unlike sketchup can UV map.

Wings isn't as powerful as the others (but with practise can make great stuff) and sketchup is just backwards though. Blender I've tried but can't get my head around. For my planned XNA game I'm gonna use my sketchup .x exporter but I don't know if .x works in unity.
There used to be a great little program called "Nendo", which I started with some 10 years ago. Not sure it even exists anymore, but it sure was lovely to work with. It really felt like sculpting, for some reason.

For my planned XNA game I'm gonna use my sketchup .x exporter but I don't know if .x works in unity.

Unity imports .fbx and .collada formats only. Out of them, the .fbx is the preferred import format.

Here is a list of all 3D applications which can generate content compatible with Unity3D -
http://unity3d.com/u...ditor/importing

Hope this helps.

There used to be a great little program called "Nendo", which I started with some 10 years ago. Not sure it even exists anymore, but it sure was lovely to work with. It really felt like sculpting, for some reason.

It was briefly re-released with a few minor updates, but then the developers went silent and haven't been heard from since. Nearly every feature that nendo had, aside from painting, exists in Wings3D, which was developed specidically to fill the void caused by nendo's absence. If you liked nendo, try Wings. It's free.
Thanks to everyone for the info! I contacted Autodesk last week but never got a reply, don't know what that's about.... If I have time I'll download cinema4d but I'll check out Blender first! What program has the least steep learning curve? Or all they all like that?

Thanks to everyone for the info! I contacted Autodesk last week but never got a reply, don't know what that's about.... If I have time I'll download cinema4d but I'll check out Blender first! What program has the least steep learning curve? Or all they all like that?

Let me try to explain it to you from my experience. First thing, there are many aspects to working in CG. You have modeling, animating and rendering to begin with, but each of those have sub-disciplines, if you will. Modeling can involve "box modeling" (Wings, Aniim8or, blender), "sculpting" (Sculptris, Curvy3D, zBrush, blender etc.) and also such techniques as NURBs and CSG, which aren't used as much in games/pre-viz. Animating can involve posing of rigged figures (which is a discipline in itself), motion capture, physical simulations (hard body, soft body, cloth, fluids, etc.). Rendering includes working with materials (as does modeling and animating), as well as lighting, and compositing. Of course it's also good to have some familiarity with paint tools, and video editors, as you will be using both eventually.

Without getting into specifics of UIs and workflows, consider one simple rule regarding a program's learning curve. The more it does, the harder it will be to learn all of it. Sculptris and Curvy are the easiest of the sculpting programs to learn, while Wings3D and Anim8or are probably among the easiest modelers to learn. There is a learning curve for each program, and there is a learning curve for CG in general. You may prefer having a powerful and versatile tool like blender that can do most all of the things I have mentioned, or you may feel intimated by the features you aren't familiar with or confused by having too many tools without an understanding of what they are for. What you learn in one program may work differently in another, but the more you understand how CG works the easier it will be to learn other programs.

I use Wings for modeling (I've thought about using Hexagon or SIlo but neither are supported to my liking). I use Poser for rendering, because I have it and am used to it. I picked up Daz Studio Pro for free, so I'd have a way to export figures to iClone. I can model in Wings, rig in Poser, and export via Daz, at least in theory. That same workflow should also work for Unity. In your case I'd substitute blender or Daz Studio for Poser, if spending the least money is important. I think I'm one of those people who wished they liked blender but I just can't get comfortable in it whenever I try using it.
Thanks for the reply! I've kinda taken a breather for a while of the game and started on the game design document for the game I'm making, after I right it I won't question myself on adding things and such, but will check that out, thanks!
So I downloaded blender, just have to read those tutorials!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement