extruding polygons and spline curve

Started by
2 comments, last by 3Ddreamer 11 years, 2 months ago

Hi!

I was reading a blog about game development and saw that they used polygons and splines in 2D in the model file. Then they seem to extrude everything at runtime to save loading time. How common is this method?

Any disadvantages by doing this?

I would like to find some article or tutorial of how to do this. Anyone that has information about this ?

Thanks

Advertisement

Hi,

Well, actually there are several methods of getting at the same end result, but whatever is the least demanding on performance will always have preference. In many simple 2D games this is not too much of a problem but as you advance in game development with much more coding and assets, then you are forced into things such as pre-compiling or Just In Time compiling.

I would say forget about online information because you need a lot of prerequisite knowledge and understanding. You need a good book on low level graphics programming specifically in the language that you are using. If you are using C++, then my opinion is that a book in this area would be essential and greatly help you. Not only do you need to implement this feature, but also you must understand how it relates to other aspects of your game code. I just don't feel that anything online short of a full graphics programming course would be worth the effort, so go with a comprehensive source.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

3Ddreamer

I'm coding in C++. Could you recommend any good book in this area?

A good C++ programmer should recommend that. It's not my area.

Personal life and your private thoughts always effect your career. Research is the intellectual backbone of game development and the first order. Version Control is crucial for full management of applications and software. The better the workflow pipeline, then the greater the potential output for a quality game. Completing projects is the last but finest order.

by Clinton, 3Ddreamer

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement