Looking for engine.

Started by
2 comments, last by JTippetts 11 years, 1 month ago

Hello, first of all , sorry for my english.
So i'm looking for game engine, i prefer C++.
I want to create something like Dayz( Open world game, with about ~200 players in it)
I dont really know what type is Dayz MMOFPS or MMORPG. I guess MMORPG
So i'm looking MMORPG, Openworld, CrossPlatform (Windows/Linux client | Linux server) , C++.
Any suggestions?

Advertisement

You need a company to make that happen unless you want to be tied up to Facebook or something. There are server costs, admins that have to get paid, patches that have to be synchronized for all players, hackers that want to cheat the game and ruin it for others... I suggest to start making a singleplayer prototype on one platform before thinking about multiplayer or cross platform since over 90% of game prototypes are thrown away for not being fun to play.

If u cant answer my question , please dont reply.

You might look into middleware options such as HeroEngine. License for engine with source is $75,000 according to their license page, but they also offer HeroCloud (cloud-based, access to tools but not source apparently) for $99 a year (plus 30% royalties on billing transactions), which would probably be a little more manageable for a startup. Of course, it's Windows-only. If you want something that's a little more developed (or so I understand), and more tested in real-world solutions, BigWorld might be more appropriate. It's the middleware behind World of Tanks. They offer an Indie license for $299 a year plus 10% royalties, or a full commercial license (have to put yourself under NDA to get pricing, but I doubt it's cheap). You're probably not going to find a ready-to-go full middleware engine that meets all of your exact requirements, however, so your best bet would be to go for one of the licenses that includes source for whatever middleware you use, in case you need to do source modifications to meet your requirements. (The BigWorld Indie+Source option is $2999 a year plus royalties.)

Dawoodoz was correct, however. This is not a small project you are taking on.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement