• Create Account

Animated GIF on front page

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

#1 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10367

Posted 09 August 2013 - 09:45 AM

There is a really awesome animated IOTD on the front page today, which I'm all for, except that the animated gif brings my browser (Safari 6.0.5) to a crawl every time I load the front page...

I've worked around this by adding the image to my adblock filters, but I wonder if we should avoid placing animated gifs on the front page in future?

Tristam MacDonald - Software Engineer @Amazon - [swiftcoding]

Sponsor:

#2 belfegor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2718

Posted 09 August 2013 - 12:37 PM

It is major slowdown for me too. It should be static screenshots only! I know that people would like their work to be seen but this is bad way to do it.

#3 unbird   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6012

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:27 PM

I hear that the GIF format has regained popularity for short movies (as a - abusive ? - replacement for flash/youtube I guess). I have no problem with the load and display, but not everybody has a high end connection and machine. 

IOTD is now screenshot saturday, so I wonder if the gamedev staff can actually dictate any format restrictions. Still, it's supposed to be screenshots, no ?

I wouldn't mind either, since I usually surf with plugins disabled (or opt-in). It's too distracting.

PS: It's a nice movie, though.

#4 Casey Hardman   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2244

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:59 PM

It made my browser lag a slight bit (i.e. loading the front-page articles was slower with the gif going), but if it weren't for that, I'd think it a pretty awesome little feature.  I think it piqued my interested in the game more than a screenshot would have.

#5 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10367

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:20 PM

but if it weren't for that, I'd think it a pretty awesome little feature.

Yeah. I've been admiring the same GIF on the main IOTD page for several days now, so no problem with the format.

But I do thing we should freeze-frame the GIF for the front page, to avoid page load slowdowns. Poor customer experience and all that...

#6 Washu   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 5423

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:28 PM

Could make it an option per-user.

It doesn't slow me down at all, but I've got lots of bandwidth and a powerful computer.

Alternatively, avoid animated gifs but ensure that YouTube videos can be embedded there.

Edited by Washu, 09 August 2013 - 02:30 PM.

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.
ScapeCode - Blog | SlimDX

#7 belfegor   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 2718

Posted 09 August 2013 - 03:30 PM

50mb gif seriously!!! And its loading every time i enter some subforum?

youtube-mozilla-firefox2.jpg

#8 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:11 PM

Yeah, there should be a limit on image sizes. There is no good reason to allow that. I have a broadband connection and it slows me down. It doesn't get cached or doesn't stay cached for some reason.

It shows up on every forum page, not just the home page. See pic...

Attached Thumbnails

• Clipboard01.jpg

Edited by MarkS, 09 August 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#9 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:29 PM

On top of this, some of the PageSpeed tips might be a good idea.

It's weird other people's browsers aren't loading this from cache. My Chrome browser is loading from cache just fine:

(get request)

GET /uploads/showdown/2013_08/thumb-sss_96849afd5ab376ff7e5d536eeb844fbf.gif HTTP/1.1
Host: www.gamedev.net
Connection: keep-alive
Cache-Control: max-age=0
Accept: image/webp,*/*;q=0.8
Pragma: no-cache
If-None-Match: "2b8bc3-3067776-4e308fd043ec0"
If-Modified-Since: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:00:51 GMT
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8_4) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/28.0.1500.95 Safari/537.36
Accept-Encoding: gzip,deflate,sdch
Accept-Language: en-US,en;q=0.8
Cookie: [...]

(response)
HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified
Last-Modified: Sat, 03 Aug 2013 11:00:51 GMT
ETag: "2b8bc3-3067776-4e308fd043ec0"
Cache-Control: max-age=604800
Expires: Fri, 16 Aug 2013 12:59:42 GMT
Content-Type: image/gif
Server: GDNET
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2013 22:27:53 GMT
Connection: keep-alive
X-Cache: HIT
X-Cache-Hits: 7894
X-Success-Kid: Linked from Reddit.. Didnt Crash

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#10 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:32 PM

It's weird other people's browsers aren't loading this from cache. My Chrome browser is loading from cache just fine:
(get request)
...snip...

I'm using Chrome as well and the GIF loads every time I change pages. I can tell because it jumps frames while playing.

#11 Cornstalks   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 6991

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:46 PM

I'm using Chrome as well and the GIF loads every time I change pages. I can tell because it jumps frames while playing.

Try opening your Developer Tools and looking at Network when you load a page.

Edit: Huh. Sometimes Chrome is loading it from cache, and sometimes not (which I visit different pages). It seems kind of inconsistent... Or I'm missing the pattern.

[ I was ninja'd 71 times before I stopped counting a long time ago ] [ f.k.a. MikeTacular ] [ My Blog ] [ SWFer: Gaplessly looped MP3s in your Flash games ]

#12 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 09 August 2013 - 04:49 PM

They took "Developer Tools" out of the latest version of Chrome. Actually, it has been missing for several versions.

Edited by MarkS, 09 August 2013 - 10:11 PM.

#13 Michael Tanczos   Senior Staff   -  Reputation: 5451

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:13 PM

Holy crabcakes..  I didn't anticipate something like that.  =P

#14 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -456

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:09 AM

For me it is just terrible, it just ate 200 MB of my 1000 MB phone card, yesterday, the card i pay for .. how to off it for download in opera browser?

#15 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 10 August 2013 - 12:43 AM

fir, I wish I knew and I am sorry! All I can tell you is that it is up to Michael to fix and I don't doubt that he will.

#16 fir   Members   -  Reputation: -456

Posted 10 August 2013 - 01:38 AM

fir, I wish I knew and I am sorry! All I can tell you is that it is up to Michael to fix and I don't doubt that he will.

If so Tnx, (it should be, really)

I off 'animated images' in opera and it seem to be ok now for me, Else forum is just 95-99% unusable for me AT ALL , because I must be hunting and pressing x to stop page loading every time, and even with that it will waste my phone card in just speed light almost :/ phew

Edited by fir, 10 August 2013 - 01:42 AM.

#17 Bacterius   Crossbones+   -  Reputation: 9282

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:23 AM

Please don't use huge animated gifs as a way to force users into viewing embedded videos without their consent, it's already difficult browsing the modern internet with a rather substandard internet connection (even just loading the gif completely would take me over 3 minutes, more than the time I typically spend on the front page) and people generally don't like having videos start without their approval. And for those with a phone with very real data caps it's a real dealbreaker.

I would +1 the idea of embedding Youtube videos instead (or maybe displaying a picture, linking to a Youtube clip if available when clicked) that's a good idea.

The slowsort algorithm is a perfect illustration of the multiply and surrender paradigm, which is perhaps the single most important paradigm in the development of reluctant algorithms. The basic multiply and surrender strategy consists in replacing the problem at hand by two or more subproblems, each slightly simpler than the original, and continue multiplying subproblems and subsubproblems recursively in this fashion as long as possible. At some point the subproblems will all become so simple that their solution can no longer be postponed, and we will have to surrender. Experience shows that, in most cases, by the time this point is reached the total work will be substantially higher than what could have been wasted by a more direct approach.

- Pessimal Algorithms and Simplexity Analysis

#18 MarkS   Prime Members   -  Reputation: 887

Posted 11 August 2013 - 11:17 AM

I'm curious if this has been communicated to the member responsible? The GIF is still up and active. Unfortunately, member user names are not exposed in IOTD posts, so I have no idea who he is on the board. It would be nice to point him here. It would be better if the staff took care of it...

#19 swiftcoder   Senior Moderators   -  Reputation: 10367

Posted 11 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

I'm curious if this has been communicated to the member responsible? The GIF is still up and active. Unfortunately, member user names are not exposed in IOTD posts, so I have no idea who he is on the board. It would be nice to point him here. It would be better if the staff took care of it...

We pull the IOTDs from Twitter's 'Screenshot Saturday', so there is no guarantee that they have associated GDNet user accounts.

In this case, I don't think he is a GDNet member at all.

Please don't use huge animated gifs as a way to force users into viewing embedded videos without their consent

This has become a fairly popular approach in the twitterverse (especially since the rise of Vine). I doubt we have much influence over it, except to filter out animated GIFs entirely.

You could try talking directly to the game's authors...

Edited by swiftcoder, 11 August 2013 - 12:59 PM.

#20 Howard Day   Members   -  Reputation: 103

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:03 PM

So, I'm the guy that made this particular animated GIF that's causing so much pain. I looked at the main website, and I didn't see it anywhere, or indeed, anywhere in the recent IOTD posts. Even so, I don't think I could take it down, because it looks like you're downloading a game-dev local copy...not the one on our servers. I'm not sure what to do about this, and I'd never spam the entire internet with a mandatory 50mb GIF.

Sorry this so negatively affected you all, it was not at all intentional.

Howie

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS