Between Scylla and Charybdis: First Look

Started by
-1 comments, last by nox_pp 10 years, 8 months ago

Greetings from Purple Pwny Studios, it is with great pride that I announce Between Scylla and Charybdis, a physics-based game of aquatic avoidance and survival.

[media]http:

[/media]

If you would please take a moment to like, share, and subscribe for future updates, I would be forever in your debt. I'm finding it otherwise difficult to rise above the noise of other promotional venues.

This is definitely the most serious I've been about any single game yet, serious enough to stop taking on new contracts and pursue this with everything I've got. I'm taking a very refined and artistic approach to the design, as I tend to in all of my work. I'm purposely avoiding common overused game tropes like points, lives, leveling, guns, etc. because I think they're anachronistic crap that can give a bad game enough structure and familiarity to seem like it's actually good. This is a risky move, I know, but I'm not interested in doing it any differently. There are enough crappy games out there, the world doesn't need another.

Of course, BSAC would be nothing without the other half of Purple Pwny Studios, our artist, Lux. As a fan of classic Disney films, her interest lies in juicy traditional animations and carefully hand-painted backdrops and other assets. Here are some of her works in progress:

bGS0OrX.gif

sGNs8oo.gif

See more: http://imgur.com/a/iNNbg

I've also been taking screenshots from the first day of the project until now, which represents roughly 2 months of constant work. Of course, I started with quick programmer art, and plenty still remains:

oF5Mtbt.png

Q1D5ljNh.jpg

I've compiled these screenshots, and others, into a gallery.

In closing, here's a piece of concept from another of the projects that we've been working on behind the scenes. Check out Lux's Deviant Art for more like this, and please tweet and otherwise share our work so that we can continue making such nice things without fear of going broke. Thanks so much, and feel free to ask me anything!

gingerbread_cabin_process__gif__by_luxan

Between Scylla and Charybdis: First Look <-- The game I'm working on

Object-Oriented Programming Sucks <-- The kind of thing I say

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement