coffeine consumption

Started by
55 comments, last by Icebone1000 10 years, 7 months ago

Caffeine is not a drug. Even alcohol is not a drug (unless you are an alcoholic).

Of course caffeine and alcohol are drugs! Just because they're not prohibited, it doesn't mean they're not "drugs".
We wouldn't use them for the purposes which we use them if they weren't drugs!

If someone can't leave the house in the morning without first having a coffee or beer or cigarette or bong, then they're a drug addict tongue.png

If your mother knew about your morning beers or bongs, she'd slap you, but regarding a morning coffee, she'd ask you to make her one too. Why? Because in typical dosages it's not harmful.

Someone who enjoys a coffee every morning (regardless of whether they *have* to, due to dependency, or not) and a glass of wine every evening will live just as long as anyone else. They may even live longer than someone who abstains from these drugs!

It doesn't mean they're not drugs, just that we're socially acceptable of appropriate public use of these drugs, for either recreational use, or performance enhancement.

This very casual conversation about how much people drink coffee or what experiences they had with some other caffeinated product is somewhat confusing. In most cultures drugs are a sign of weakness.

Don't be so smug and sure that you're better than these "weak drug users". Certain kinds of drug use is normal in most cultures, I bet you're consuming many more than you're aware of.

Abusing (not just using) any substance is bad:
- someone who has to be drunk all the time will die of organ failure eventually.
- someone who has to smoke daily will quite likely get cancer or organ failure eventually.
- someone who has to drink extremely high (overdose) levels of caffeine all day long will likely experience heart failure.
- someone who eats deep fried food for every meal will become obese and also experience organ failure tongue.png

People who are abusing a substance to the point of self-harm are not weak, they either ignorant (people who don't realize energy drinks have dangerous dosages in them), or suffering a mental illness and need your help.

Alcoholism is obvious self-harm, that will eventually lead to death, but drinking a strong coffee in the morning will not kill you.

In most cultures, use of certain recreational drugs is seen as entirely normal, and people who avoid such traditions are seen as suspicious.
In most countries, this includes either beer, wine or spirits, teas and coffees, and smoking products. In some places, it may even be socially acceptable to smoke opium in moderation, or other practices that fall under a prohibition elsewhere.
I know a lot of places I could go where in a social situation I'd automatically be given a beer, and if I declined the offer by saying "sorry, I don't drink", I'd receive more than one confused look.

Simply reapplying the same drug repeatedly will have diminishing returns, and I doubt caffeine can be seen as an exception.
It doesn't just wake you up, it grabs you by the collar and jerks you up out of your chair shaking you with both fists. A few days of this and I think anyone's going to feel really beat up and tired, maybe another hit of the stuff will keep them awake.

Caffeine tolerance can increase with use, but quickly returns to normal with abstinence. However, you have to have quite high usage levels in order to increase your tolerance. Having one coffee each morning, or half a dozen cups of tea a day is not likely to build you up a strong tolerance.

I don't know what kind of caffeine you've been trying, but I've never been jerked up and shaked around by my coffee. You might want to try a nice mild cup of tea tongue.png

Advertisement

I love this thread and I love coffee and tea soooo much. I hereby give you the best coffee/tea song ever :)

Here you go:

"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education"

Albert Einstein

"It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education"

Albert Einstein

Coffee song time?

[media]http:

[/media]

About 2 cups a day, usually just in the morning, use to drink green tea but now I'm more ginger tea and honey, to get better night sleep.

I usually drink a few cups of coffee a day at work.

I used to drink a lot of coke, but I've completely cut it out of my life now. In terms of it's effect on your body, sugar is basically alcohol without the buzz, and frankly if I'm going to drink sugar, I'd rather have it in alcohol than in coke.

Caffeine, btw, does not make you less tired. It simply blocks the receptors in your brain that allow you to feel tired. Your body is still fatigued.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

I drink espresso, about 3 times a day, for 5 years now. But I never drink coffee in the morning though, and I will never start to. What I do after I waking up is having a cigarette, and going to my coffee shop for the presso by car, allready fit.

To me, coffee does not have some great vitalizing effect, I just like to sit in a coffee shop I think. I also do not drink coffee elsewhere than in coffeetery, I always go to a coffee shop, calling someone up , or, by myself. But what coffee does to me, is, a little effect of THC inhaling- I can concentrate on things I did not want to work with and I find joy in them, you know, this effect of "oh crap, I have to wash dishes" turns into "oh yeah! washing dishes is godlike! Unbeliever boy!"

Sorry I only skimmed the thread, but I'll put in my .02. Sorry if I'm off topic now.

I drink a coffee every morning, but no more than that and none on weekends. I find limiting caffeine intake drastically affects it's effects on me. When I used to drink 2-3 cups per day it didn't really do anything. Now I drink one cup in the morning and water pretty much all of the rest of the time. Now the one cup in the morning doesn't really make me more mentally capable, but makes me feel less sleepy. Not quite sure how to put it; it's like my brain isn't awake, but it doesn't want to sleep either. idk.

It's definitely noticeable for me. Within 5-10 minutes I'm awake/not-sleepy now.

chocolate and sugar dont have any effect in me. I eat sugar like a crazy child.

tea to me goes like half sugar half water..sometimes (~twice a month) I buy a 700g bag of minty candies, and I just stop eating it when its over @.@

the only effect coffee have on me is trembling hands, which is annoying sometimes.

coffee also goes like half sugar half coffee..I dont really like the bitter taste of coffee, but everyone drinks it, so I end up drinking it "socially" a lot. If there the tea as opition, I go with tea.

I love this thread and I love coffee and tea soooo much. I hereby give you the best coffee/tea song ever smile.png

Here you go:

cause war...war never changes

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement