common default control mappings for fps/rpg's

Started by
39 comments, last by Norman Barrows 10 years, 1 month ago

Ok this must be some unfamiliarity with GTA pc controls but Id assume your standard WASD for movement which means in order to turn you were saying you have to press a button. But this is an incorrect assumption judging by your last post. So as I asked are A and S to turn or to strafe??

Also in real life you can turn in a direction without looking that way or walk somewhere and look somewhere else so thats not really like real life.

Advertisement

OK this must be some unfamiliarity with GTA PC controls but I'd assume your standard WASD for movement which means in order to turn you were saying you have to press a button. But this is an incorrect assumption judging by your last post. So as I asked are A and S to turn or to strafe??

Also in real life you can turn in a direction without looking that way or walk somewhere and look somewhere else so that's not really like real life.

so in real life you can turn your eye 360 degrees? you can move without seeing the direction your going even when you are facing that direction?
movement controls in GTA is whatever you want it to be. have you forgotten about customize control?
you don't need any button to function as a mouse. you go can left, right, front, back, diagonally, around without using a mouse because the camera is based on your view.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

You can turn your head....... thats pretty simple.

But Im out. I was interested but youre lack of explanation has left me none the wiser than the start so I couldnt be bothered anymore.

You can turn your head ....... thats pretty simple.

But Im out. I was interested but youre lack of explanation has left me none the wiser than the start so I couldnt be bothered anymore.

You can turn your head 360 degrees? That's alien.
I don't know how else to explain. It's attached to the player so it moves with you. You don't use a mouse to turn left or right, rather you move left or right (with your custom directional keys) and the camera also turns as you turn. No mouse is used. You run in a circle, it follows you in that circle in a circle. Your movement is the camera's movement.
Real life example: turn right, turn left, turn to your back and move around in a circle. That's what it is.
I think the only way is for your to start gta, change your settings to classic and perform the same actions.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

After some researching, I came to a conclusion that classic setting is the control scheme adapted for gamepads (either PC or consoles) as it "bypasses" usage of mouse and binds everything on keyboard.

I wonder why all games don't have it.

Because PC has a damn mouse which is most convenient device for those kind of games. It eliminates need for at least 5 buttons on keyboard and offers speed and precision console-like aiming simply can't match. You have mouse in your right hand to aim, fire, change weapons, turn and/or control camera, and all other necessary buttons in the area under your left hand which rests over WASD buttons. And forget about real life situations in video games, in most cases whenever realism threatens convenience it should be scrapped.

Oh, and buy a better mouse.

I am disappointed by any game that doesn't have that.
You aim by pressing the aiming key. You turn left, the view goes left, you turn right, it goes right, you turn around, it turns to your last view.
I wonder why all games don't have it. It is sooo slow and uncomfortable using the mouse just to see a view or when aiming.

Keyboard turner.

After some researching, I came to a conclusion that classic setting is the control scheme adapted for gamepads (either PC or consoles) as it "bypasses" usage of mouse and binds everything on keyboard.

I wonder why all games don't have it.

Because PC has a damn mouse which is most convenient device for those kind of games. It eliminates need for at least 5 buttons on keyboard and offers speed and precision console-like aiming simply can't match. You have mouse in your right hand to aim, fire, change weapons, turn and/or control camera, and all other necessary buttons in the area under your left hand which rests over WASD buttons. And forget about real life situations in video games, in most cases whenever realism threatens convenience it should be scrapped.
Oh, and buy a better mouse.
I have no interest what soever in buying a mouse or whatever just to uncomfortably play a game.
Having to move and turn a mouse at the same time when i can just focus on movement.
Why would i need my right hand turn around to a target + aim key when i can do it all with two fingers or by pressing W or A or S or D + aim key? Why would i want to mimic a console when it is not a console? Why would i want to use two tools to complete a moving action when i can just move? Mouse movement for me offers absolutely no precision (having to use the mouse + keyboard keys when i can just press a single key to move).
To aim, i turn the mouse around till i see my target and press the aim button vs directional key + aim, to shoot, i press something + mouse vs a single key, to view what is behind me, i turn the mouse around vs just pressing S. I choose the latter.
It's a personal choice just like i don't like console games. Some like it, some don't.
(PC here is a laptop).
One more thing, could you list the controls you use in gta?

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

I have no interest what soever in buying a mouse or whatever just to uncomfortably play a game.
Having to move and turn a mouse at the same time when i can just focus on movement.
Why would i need my right hand turn around to a target + aim key when i can do it all with two fingers or by pressing W or A or S or D + aim key? Why would i want to mimic a console when it is not a console? Why would i want to use two tools to complete a moving action when i can just move? Mouse movement for me offers absolutely no precision (having to use the mouse + keyboard keys when i can just press a single key to move).
To aim, i turn the mouse around till i see my target and press the aim button vs directional key + aim, to shoot, i press something + mouse vs a single key, to view what is behind me, i turn the mouse around vs just pressing S. I choose the latter.
It's a personal choice just like i don't like console games. Some like it, some don't.
(PC here is a laptop).
One more thing, could you list the controls you use in gta?

sZd54Ll.jpg

Sigh. I'm out of here. As proven before, you're seeing just what you want to see and ignore everything else.

Also, by using keyboard-only movement, you still need two additional keys to be able to both strafe (move sideways without changing direction you're facing) and turn. Have fun circling around someone while keeping aim on him using only keyboard without any lock on target buttons.

By the way, what you're using on laptop is not a mouse, it's a touchpad. Seriously, buy a mouse, even cheapest one will serve you far better than what you're currently using.

My control scheme for GTA:SA (last GTA I played, few years ago, 4 and 5 don't interest me) was the default one.

Norman, sorry for offtopicing. I hope my first post at least somewhat helped you.

Have fun circling around someone while keeping aim on him using only keyboard without any lock on target buttons. Seriously, buy a mouse, even cheapest one will serve you far better than what you're currently using.

I do have fun killing them in two seconds with LAlt (aim) + LCtrl (fire). Arrow keys for movement.
NO i won't buy a mouse (i've had experience with it when i used to use a desktop) and NO it won't serve me better.
@Norman: make your controls customizable as not everyone uses the same controls and if you are willing/care to, you could try gta's double camera setting.

UNREAL ENGINE 4:

--
GREAT QUOTES:
--
--

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement