Let's get it right Windows or MacOSX, Android or IOS?

Started by
30 comments, last by Tutorial Doctor 10 years, 2 months ago

Let's keep this professional shall we?

So, I have used windows forever, and only recently got a mac. I like IOS more than Android in some cases, and I like Android more than IOS in some cases. I like Windows more than Mac O SX in some cases, and I like Mac OS X more than Windows in some cases.

I think Apple likes to retain control of their OS so that someone else doesn't gain control of it. While it may be an irritant to some users, it is a preventive measure against hackers, which serves the legit end user.

I like how Apple has standards. I like Apple products because of their thought and consideration and attention to detail, but I don't like Apple as a company. I think IOS7 looks childish, and is designed poorly. Nice features, but poor design.

Windows feels more flexible and "mine." Mac OS X feels more sandboxed and streamlined. I suppose this is the same case in the Android v.s. IOS debacle.

Windows 8 does sorta suck, so when I am talking about windows I am thinking of Windows XP/ Windows 7.

I don't own anything android, I have an ipod touch, ipad, and macbook. I had a great Gateway and now have a cheap Toshiba.

I go for quality before quantity. So I like Bose, Swiss Gear, Apple, Lasko, fruit, long walks on the beach....

I am also frugal (as my mom calls it), so I want the good stuff for a cheaper price. I refuse to pay high price for junk. I buy stuff with three criteria:

1. Will it return any profit to me?

2. Is it useful?

3. Will it last long?

My favorite store is the dollar tree (for some things.)

Your turn.

They call me the Tutorial Doctor.

Advertisement

Oh! I had some co-workers who did this kind of poll.

The had a few weeks where twice a week there was a different question and answer post. People would walk by and put tally marks on the white board.

Later they just put up answers without questions, and people would still put tally marks on the white board.

Some of the more popular question-less answers were "Yes / No", "True / False", "Boy / Girl", and "Ginger / MaryAnn"

This kind of survey is fun. Make up your own question. My question that goes with your answers, "Which one has the smaller market share?"

(I am also 'frugal' and usually use a weak machines.)

I prefer the windows XP. I used android on weak phone

(htc wildfire) it seems slow, I used iphone 3gs years ago

(it seem faster, but both are too small. As to mac i was trying

macbook but dislike notebooks, weak keybord, screen tied to

keyboard, i also tried a standalone mac ststion but disliked

its gui shell same as windows one but here i have at least the

total commander

(bit joke answer on a bit joke wuestion, well i should get back

to work slowly, I think)

And what about Linux or Chromium.

My best system is my laptop - this runs Puppy Linux with a VirtualBox Windows XP system - works perfectly, I can run all my windows programs from the Virtual Box (and Flash based websites, now that Flash has been discontinued for Linux - will Adobe PLEASE finally kill it off on all platforms and force all web developers to use HTML5 instead)

The good thing with my laptop is that Linux keeps XP at bay and keeps it running well.

I also have Windows 8 on my main PC - it's ok I suppose - but the only thing that makes it usable is installing StarDock Start8 and putting the start menu back where I want it.

As for Android vs IOS - no competition really there for me - Android all the way. The amount of people I have with my PC repair business coming to me asking to do stuff with their Apple devices and I have to say I'm sorry but Apple won't let you do that. It really is annoying.

Android vs iOS?

Neither.

WinPhone 8 all the way.

Lumia 920 is the best phone I've ever used by a country mile and I couldn't go back to Android now.

I used android on weak phone

(htc wildfire) it seems slow,

I think you'll find that on the HTC Wildfire you were probably using Android 2

I've got a HTC Desire S and I upgraded that to Android 4.0.4 and it works a dream, my mum also has a Motorola Xoom on Android 4 and that too works fine.

When I first got this phone it was on Android 2 which was awful to use.

I don't care for Android nor iOS nor Windows Phone. But between the three? Android since it has a (pseudo)Java stack and Objective-C sucks donkey balls.

For OS, Linux, Debian testing specifically. That's what I'm using. For desktop environments, Gnome works and its usable if you got enough hardware to run it (ie, not on my atom netbook), but latest Debian .isos come with Xfce installed, and its very nice! Put a E17 GTK2 theme on it. I used LXDE for two years on my netbook, it is "usable" but not very pleasant. Its the only choice if your hardware isn't very good though.

Windows 7 is nice through, and maybe I'll get back to it if a nice enough Windows only game appears. For now I'm playing The Dark Mod on this Debian install. I'm not jumping to Wine just yet.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

I like Windows just fine - hated it back in the 90s (as I did classic MacOS), but the NT line has been fine, and improved over the years. I use Linux too, but less so, and prefer Windows overall. Can't see the fuss about 7 vs 8 - if you don't like the new start menu, you can put it back, but others like me do like it. It's nothing to do with touchscreens/tablets though (I hated the start menu in XP, but I didn't say it was unusable with a mouse, I just put it back to be like 2000).

Never used OS X much, nor do I have any desire to - I can't stand the Apple UIs I have used, there's no compelling reason for me to do so, and prefer the hardware choices that I get with Windows and Linux, rather than being stuck with one company. From a development point of view, in my spare time I like to write for 90% of the market; Linux has the advantage that although a small userbase, there's also less competition, and also people tend to be more enthusiastic about Open Source projects. OS X doesn't offer any compelling reason for me to develop for.

I use Android now, Symbian before that, and liked both. IOS lacked basic features for years, now it's caught up on those but I still would dislike the locked down nature (e.g., choice of browser, choice of keyboard), I want a smartphone not a feature phone. Again there's the advantage of a much greater range of hardware choice (not just multiple manufacturers this time, but also that there are very few IOS devices to choose). As one key example, my preferred screen sizes are 4.5-5" (for pocket sized) and 7" for larger tablets, whilst the IOS offerings are smaller and larger than these. Hardware seems nothing special overall, although I could "make do" with it, I could also make do with a much cheaper Android or WP device. Plus the IOS evangelists have put me off for life, anyway.

Again from a development point of view, 75-80% of the market is nice, plus I don't want to pay $99/year to write free software for my own device (I can afford it, but I'd rather spend my money on beer and steaks than give it away to a rich company), nor do I want to support a development model where all software must be released through one company, who can and does dictate what gets released (I have no interest in writing "Windows Store" applications, or using Windows RT, for similar reasons).

I used android on weak phone

(htc wildfire) it seems slow, I used iphone 3gs years ago

(it seem faster, but both are too small.

Note that the Wildfire was a low end phone when it was released. The nice thing now though is that even the low end Android phones are looking good enough for most people (e.g., Moto G).

http://erebusrpg.sourceforge.net/ - Erebus, Open Source RPG for Windows/Linux/Android
http://conquests.sourceforge.net/ - Conquests, Open Source Civ-like Game for Windows/Linux

Definitely windows and android

UNREAL ENGINE 4:
Total LOC: ~3M Lines
Total Languages: ~32

--
GREAT QUOTES:
I can do ALL things through Christ - Jesus Christ
--
Logic will get you from A-Z, imagination gets you everywhere - Albert Einstein
--
The problems of the world cannot be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited by the obvious realities. - John F. Kennedy

I can't really vote because

1. I use Linux and rate it over Mac and Windows
  2. I have an old Nokia phone
"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement