• Create Account

Wanted: Free 3D Game Engine for Farming Game

• You cannot reply to this topic
3 replies to this topic

#1 SvenLittkowski   Members   -  Reputation: 105

0Likes

Posted Today, 05:18 AM

Hi, like some others in this forum, I, too, seek assistance to find a suitable free 3D game engine. But I don't want to develop some shooter game, but a game where the aim is to find or discover special plants on the globe through some quests, and then to try to develop them to agriculturally usable plants through cross-breeding, and to operate some own farm. Like a chili pepper farm, ha ha ha!

Starting in ancient times and through invention and discoveries and research, and by espionage and torture of other farmers, more and more becomes possible on the farm. Trade and other interactions will become possible. Crazy, dangerous, mutated, intelligent plants, too, sometimes, after radioactive treatment.

Since I like graphics, i want to develop beautiful and realistic scenes for the environment, beautiful sunsets, and such.

Which free game engine can do the job for me? Suggestions?

If anyone wants to assist in the development, I welcome you aboard, too.

Attached Thumbnails

• HotChiliCHocolate_Die.png

Sponsor:

#2 rAm_y_   Members   -  Reputation: 390

0Likes

Posted Today, 07:57 AM

What are your skills, how are you with C++, do you know what a renderer is, have you heard of SDL or Unity, can you create 3D models in something like Blender, can you rig and animate these models, can you create textures do you understand texture mapping, normal maps, diffuse maps, specular maps, glow maps.

If your short on skills you are kind of at square one. Any game generally need a huge amount of game assests, some games have 10's of thousands of textures, models, sounds, scripts, shaders...etc

#3 Shippou   Members   -  Reputation: 1525

0Likes

Posted Today, 08:23 AM

These are important questions to ask before starting:

1: Have you ever created a 3D model before ?

2: Have you ever animated anything 3D before ?

3: Have you ever created textures before ?

4: Have you ever programmed a game before ?

You will need quite some experience in 3D modeling to create realistic models. You will also need quite a lot of artistic experience to texturize those realistic models. Now you will need some experience to realistically animate those models.

To put everything together, you will know how to program a game, ( regardless if you are using an engine or not ).

The 2 most popular free 3D engines out there would be Unity 3D and Panda 3D .

The most popular free 3D modeling and animating tool out there is BlenderHERE is some more you can try.

Remember that all of these tools will require a HUGE investment of time to learn, and creating a realistic 3D game is not going to be an easy task for 1 person.

Edited by Shippou, Today, 08:23 AM.

Reactions To Technologies:
1. Anything that is in the world when you’re born is normal and ordinary and is just a natural part of the way the world works.
2. Anything that's invented between when you’re fifteen and thirty-five is new and exciting and revolutionary and you can probably get a career in it.
3. Anything invented after you're thirty-five is against the natural order of things.

- Douglas Adams 2002

#4 StarMire   Members   -  Reputation: 620

0Likes

Posted Today, 09:45 AM

Is anybody else thinking it?

Obvious recruiting thread is obvious.

IMO squeezing in a vague question which has been answered a million times to skirt the rules doesn't change that.  As they say, you can put lipstick on a pig...

Sven, if you're looking to recruit team members, you really need to post here:

http://www.gamedev.net/classifieds

If you just want to talk about your game design and get feedback on it, then post here:  http://www.gamedev.net/forum/17-game-design/

Otherwise, please see here:  http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

Good luck!

PARTNERS