Wanted: Free 3D Game Engine for Farming Game

Started by
19 comments, last by Lactose 9 years, 6 months ago

Hi, like some others in this forum, I, too, seek assistance to find a suitable free 3D game engine. But I don't want to develop some shooter game, but a game where the aim is to find or discover special plants on the globe through some quests, and then to try to develop them to agriculturally usable plants through cross-breeding, and to operate some own farm. Like a chili pepper farm, ha ha ha!

Starting in ancient times and through invention and discoveries and research, and by espionage and torture of other farmers, more and more becomes possible on the farm. Trade and other interactions will become possible. Crazy, dangerous, mutated, intelligent plants, too, sometimes, after radioactive treatment.

Since I like graphics, i want to develop beautiful and realistic scenes for the environment, beautiful sunsets, and such.

Which free game engine can do the job for me? Suggestions?

If anyone wants to assist in the development, I welcome you aboard, too.

Thanks for reading, your time, good intention, and good assistance.

Sven

Advertisement

What are your skills, how are you with C++, do you know what a renderer is, have you heard of SDL or Unity, can you create 3D models in something like Blender, can you rig and animate these models, can you create textures do you understand texture mapping, normal maps, diffuse maps, specular maps, glow maps.

If your short on skills you are kind of at square one. Any game generally need a huge amount of game assests, some games have 10's of thousands of textures, models, sounds, scripts, shaders...etc

These are important questions to ask before starting:

1: Have you ever created a 3D model before ?

2: Have you ever animated anything 3D before ?

3: Have you ever created textures before ?

4: Have you ever programmed a game before ?

You will need quite some experience in 3D modeling to create realistic models. You will also need quite a lot of artistic experience to texturize those realistic models. Now you will need some experience to realistically animate those models.

To put everything together, you will know how to program a game, ( regardless if you are using an engine or not ).

The 2 most popular free 3D engines out there would be Unity 3D and Panda 3D .

The most popular free 3D modeling and animating tool out there is Blender. HERE is some more you can try.

Remember that all of these tools will require a HUGE investment of time to learn, and creating a realistic 3D game is not going to be an easy task for 1 person.

I cannot remember the books I've read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sven, if you're looking to recruit team members, you really need to post here:

http://www.gamedev.net/classifieds

If you just want to talk about your game design and get feedback on it, then post here: http://www.gamedev.net/forum/17-game-design/

Otherwise, please see here: http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

Good luck!

Is anybody else thinking it?

Nope.

I see what you are looking at, but I don't think your interpretation is correct.

Which free game engine can do the job for me? Suggestions?

If anyone wants to assist in the development, I welcome you aboard, too.

The first part, he described the game he wants to make. Then he asked what engines would work. The replies so far (except for yours, and now this) have been about engines and game development skills, which I feel are all appropriate for beginners.

For the second part, many beginners posts want people to help them and do the hard parts, or similarly look for volunteers. I don't see recruitment as part of the discussion, just a general call for help.

As for actually answering the question, GameMaker Studio has a free option and frequently has discounts and sales and occasional give-aways on the other products. Godot is free but may take more work than the OP wants. And finally, Tiled (an editor for tile-based games) has a page that lists several engines that can consume it's data, some of which are free.

Using those systems you still need a design, you still need art, you still need audio, you still need a launch plan and distribution and marketing plan. You still need to hook up all the parts and build the levels and do all the other tasks. They can be done, but they take skill to do well.

I see what you are looking at, but I don't think your interpretation is correct.

It was a very general question. Unity 3d is probably going to be his best bet, since he's going to need something with a lot of available scripts, and as he said, strong 3d support.

The best place for him to start is still from the FAQ, which is a great reference for beginners on these topics:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/reference/faq.php/_/for-beginners-r1

And finally, Tiled (an editor for tile-based games) has a page that lists several engines that can consume it's data, some of which are free.

How is Tiled useful for the AAA realistic 3d game he wants to make?

Sven, This is why you want to use Unity:

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/

With a little knowledge of the tools, you can cobble something together without a big team fairly easily: and achieve something like the next-gen 3d realistic look you want more or less out of the box (that's not to say your gameplay will be with hiccups).

Most assets are very cheap, some are free. You can get everything from graphics to scripts.

How is Tiled useful for the AAA realistic 3d game he wants to make?

Tiled is nothing more than a general tile map editor, which you can perfectly use for a 3D game. As a matter of fact, I used it myself to prototype an idea I had with Unity3D.

Anyway, to get back on topic. Basically any (proper) 3D engine out there can do what you want and some will come with some of the stuff you need/want out of the box, but the fact remains that you will still need to do plenty of stuff yourself.

As a pure beginner, the most obvious choice is the engine that is the most "newbie" friendly, which is likely Unity3D. It has a very active community, a lot of available resources in the form of pre-made scripts and/or models and other specific assets you will need. You can get something working relatively fast, and once you get the hang of it, you can do some pretty complex stuff with it as well.

My advice would be to take baby steps. Make some simulations that might benefit your grander scheme of things, but do some smaller stuff first and learn! :)

Good luck!

D'oh, misread 3D for 2D. Those were 2D tools.

Yes, in that case probably best to go with Unity since zero product cost is the key given factor. You'll still need modelers, animators, audio, script writing, level design, and everything else. You just don't need to build the engine behind it.

Tiled is nothing more than a general tile map editor, which you can perfectly use for a 3D game. As a matter of fact, I used it myself to prototype an idea I had with Unity3D.

Do you mean it has a 3d visualization now, or that you're swapping out 2d tiles for 3d ones in the game?

I guess if you have a keen imagination to see how it might look that could work. I find the best thing about tiled is that you can see how a 2d games actually will look in play, which helps designing maps.

D'oh, misread 3D for 2D. Those were 2D tools.

Yes, in that case probably best to go with Unity since zero product cost is the key given factor. You'll still need modelers, animators, audio, script writing, level design, and everything else. You just don't need to build the engine behind it.

Most models and animations can be gotten for free these days too, if he's not picky about them and doesn't mind a little mismatching.

That's something nice about the Unity community. There are a lot of assets building up all the time for free.

Not necessarily good, but they can get the job done.

The way he described his game design it really does sound like it would work just fine, or even better, in 2d for him, using photos, and something like a hidden object game to find new plants and tile based top-view farming, this would be very do-able.

It doesn't sound like what he wants to do, though.

Thanks to everyone (without exception) for all these good and stimulating, and newbie-friendly answers. Your answers give me the direction to go.

Apologies for having introduced the idea to join, it was a "By the way" and not the main purpose of this thread. I am really posting here to get the engine selection off the ground. But I have posted already, a week earlier than posting here, inside the recruitment section, too, for another project where I even more need people to join.

I am experienced only in graphics, and I also know, what I want (game-look). I have only beginner experience with Blender, but created 3D scenes since over 20 years with POV-Ray (unfortunately not compatible to this project). And I do cross-breeding with plants, have some gardener's experience.

Attachment: my little POV-Ray-constructed carrier spacecraft: yes, I do 3D, but not in a compatible way yet.

Programming: since 1989, but only Pascal/Delphi. But because I wrote POV-Ray scene code, I should be able to handle C in a not too uneasy way, as the general structure and ways are known to me.

I admit, there will be huge obstacles to me in developing a game, but I really want to go into it, and learn. I have so many good ideas to come, but need to be able to develop games in order to make them coming true (or through?).

I will check out Panda and Unity as engines. I was reading already about Unity, that the free version has no feature to "glue" feet on the ground (and hands on rails of stairs), hmmmm.

The game I want to develop, is made primarily only for me and maybe a small group of other persons (the chili pepper community), and a freeware project.

Thanks for reading, your time, good intention, and good assistance.

Sven

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement