Evil genius (how it works?)

Started by
2 comments, last by Oolala 9 years, 6 months ago

Hello everyone i really want to know how evil genius path finding works in details.

Is there any source that explains it in (technical) details.

I'm interest in:

• what kind of pathfinding algorithm they use;
  • how they find path, did they use navmesh, waypoint system, or just simple 2d grid;
  • how they "avoid" local minnions (there avoid system is bad, but it will do job for me);
  • do they using some additional data (all rooms locations and there dimensions...) for pathfinding;
  • other interesting stuff.

The reason im asking is because i want to make something similar.

Advertisement

I never player EG, but considering its age, that is seems to be grid based, I would bet, that they use standard elements:

1. A*

2. Grid based (each grid represents a single waypoint)

3. Waypoints/grids enriched with additional data (eg. this door is currently locked).

Not sure about Evil Genius but I worked on a tycoon game that was released around the same time.

It used A* on a Nav Mesh If an object was added to the game then a hole was cookie cut into the nav mesh and it was re-tessalated. NPC avoidance was just stearing behaviors.

There is a bit of a gap sometimes between large-scale pathfinding, and localized steering for not bumping into stuff. A* is likely what they used for the large-scale stuff, like navigating from one side of the base to another. Steering is a separate thing, and would handle stuff like not bumping into your buddy while walking down a hallway.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement