Next-Gen OpenGL To Be Shown Off Next Month

Started by
69 comments, last by Promit 9 years, 1 month ago

Wow that was lightning fast. I wasn't expecting anything for the next 3 years or so:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Next-Gen-OpenGL-GDC15

I'm also curious about steamboxes at GDC.

Advertisement

I had a feeling it was coming soon. Really soon, since Direct3D 12 is coming out soon. Looks like I'll have to upgrade video cards... again -.-

Shogun.

To no huge surprise, the next-generation OpenGL standard will be shown off next month at GDC 2015.
To no huge surprise!? I expected it like a presentation in a year or so, imagining Khronos members *just* getting used to their meeting room seats right now.

"I AM ZE EMPRAH OPENGL 3.3 THE CORE, I DEMAND FROM THEE ZE SHADERZ AND MATRIXEZ"

My journals: dustArtemis ECS framework and Making a Terrain Generator

Cool.

Looks like they are trying to name it https://www.khronos.org/surveys/index.php/929633/lang-en

I suggest, "The OpenGL GTFOOTW (Get The Fuck Out Of The Way) API"

I had a feeling it was coming soon. Really soon, since Direct3D 12 is coming out soon. Looks like I'll have to upgrade video cards... again -.-

If you've got a D3D11 capable card then you should be able to deal with the new APIs; D3D12 will be backwards compatible (just not feature wise) and I would expect OpenGL to be much the same.

Even Longs Peak was announced at GDC 2007 laugh.png

If you've got a D3D11 capable card then you should be able to deal with the new APIs; D3D12 will be backwards compatible (just not feature wise) and I would expect OpenGL to be much the same.

AMD VLIW (32-bit address space) and Intel pre-haswell HD graphics will not support D3D12. I'm curious to see what is Qualcomm doing since all its Adreno GPUs inherit an AMD VLIW architecture.

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

Shogun.

Not me, still gonna stick with XNA (and maybe SharpDX) for a while :D

I'm more interested on how this OpenGL standard will do compared to other APIs like Mantle or Metal, or will be be a "too little, too late" offering.

New game in progress: Project SeedWorld

My development blog: Electronic Meteor

Expect hardware support for GLNext to be very similar to that of Direct3D 12 -- which basically corresponds to modern compute-enabled GPUs like those since nVidia's Fermi micro-architecture, AMD's GCN 1.0 (Radeon 7000-series, the one's that weren't rebranded 6000-series parts), and Intel's HD4000 (Haswell graphics). Much of the re-use of objects already resident on the card in Mantle/D3D12/GLNext is enabled by the kinds of features enabled originally for the compute scenario, from what I can surmise.

Now, in Direct3D 12 there's suppose to be a feature-level-like thing where even older cards could see some of the benefits of the improved multi-threading model and reduced driver overhead, but I've not heard much noise about that lately (maybe they dropped that?) if D3D12 is still doing it, its conceivable that GLNext might as well. Otherwise, its probably closer to Mantle, which doesn't have any support for anything older than GCN 1.0.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

I'm more interested on how this OpenGL standard will do compared to other APIs like Mantle or Metal, or will be be a "too little, too late" offering.

Metal is modern iOS only, or we can speculate that maybe it would migrate to Mac eventually.
It's nice as a GLES replacement, but mobile engine authors still need a GLES path for android anyway :(
For it to compete, it needs to be an open spec...

(disclaimer: I'm a huge mantle fanboi)
Mantle is interesting because it hasn't been unleashed yet, but is already a candidate for replacement if GLNext is good enough...
Mantle is currently in closed beta, which means the API/spec is still a work-in-progress. This is a pretty strange situation where we have games that have already shipped using an API that isn't finished and doesn't publicly exist yet! As is, it's AMD and Windows only, but is designed and intended to become an open standard (like GL) and be implemented by NV/Intel and Linux/Mac.
If that happened, it *could* really just kill off GL and replace it... But we know that not going to happen... NV has a huge advantage in that their GL drivers are extremely optimal compared to their competition, and they won't ever want to throw away that lead.

So, if GLNext comes out soon and is technically equal to Mantle, then maybe it will end up with the first strike bonus, and will kill off Mantle before its even born.

In the Lounge? Why? Moved to OpenGL.

SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement