4K UHD

Started by
34 comments, last by Ravyne 9 years, 2 months ago

Do you think a developer could use something like this as a value add? First game with 4k resolution etc?

As mentioned earlier, *every* PC game should already run at 4k, if you have a beefy-enough GPU.

And consoles don't have the necessary hardware to run at 4k, so that's a non-starter.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement

As mentioned earlier, *every* PC game should already run at 4k, if you have a beefy-enough GPU.And consoles don't have the necessary hardware to run at 4k, so that's a non-starter.

There's probably no HW limitation - a platform and SDK update could probably enable 4K output.

If so, being the first 4K console game would be a novelty marketing dot point.

There's probably no HW limitation - a platform and SDK update could probably enable 4K output.

Maybe.

Most of the current generation of consoles were released before the HDMI 2.0 standard was made public. That means it depends on whether they were working with the HDMI standards group prior to release to ensure that their HDMI 1.4 outputs would be upgradeable to 2.0 with just a firmware update. If not, then HDMI 1.4 only supports 4k at 30fps, which would be a bit of a kick in the teeth for a console generation which is pushing 60fps everywhere.

Beyond that, there is a definite performance limitation. Driving 4x the pixels isn't free, and many titles are already failing to hit 1080p (i.e. Titanfall running at 792p), so the potential of playing in 4k without a GPU upgrade is pretty low...

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Yeah I did the math on the first page for approx fill-rate :)

Morpheus games have to run at 1080p (side by side 960x1080 3D) @120Hz, which coincidentally is the same approx fill requirements as 4K @ 30Hz.

So if we do see a 4K PS4 game, I'd expect it to be a non-VR mode of a Morpheus game.
*All the marketing dot points!!*

Yeah performance is a tricky issue... We just released a 30Hz PS4/Xbone game, and got slammed by the publisher for it. We're about to release a 60Hz one, and it's a lot of work.

Doing a 120Hz game for Morpheus is going to be tough as hell!
But once people manage that feat, they'll also be at the point where 4K 30Hz is feasible.

P.S. Titanfall is on the system that threw out 1/3rd of it's GPU cores. A PS4 port would probably be full res.

Its discussions like this everyone that has me excited to get into the industry. What are some other innovative features you all have introduced to your games that you are proud of? Good and bad.

What are some other innovative features you all have introduced to your games that you are proud of?

Higher resolutions are hardly "innovative". We've been seeing higher resolutions since the dawn of computing. I was gaming in "HD" (1600x1200 on a 21" CRT) in the 90s.

if you think programming is like sex, you probably haven't done much of either.-------------- - capn_midnight

It might only be a novelty, but I could imagine a sidescroller with traditional cell-animation style would look really great at 4k, be perfectly ok running at 30hz, and probably would also be Ok with available GPU horsepower on either XBox One or PS4, assuming they could make fillrate work.

Basically, imagine Rayman Legends UltraHD remix, running 4K/30hz, with actual 30-cells / second animation; it would be gorgeous. One of the things that struck me both times going from VHS to DVD, and then DVD to Blueray, was just how great animation looks. I suspect that 1080p to 4k animation would strike me in the same way.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Hmmm... I watch DVDs and Blurays on a 720p beamer (projection area is ~120'', ~7m away, PS3 as bluray-player) and not on my 1080p TV and it really doesn't matter at all. Most often I only notice that I'm watching a bluray when watching the credits or any other text. When looking at games, I would even guess, that I would prefer a faster, visual pleasing game over a slower, lower quality game with higher resolution.

To be honest, when I buy a new TV, bluray, console whatever, I analyse each single pixel, but once I get used to it, only a minimal display resolution is important for me. I often decrease the resolution of games instead of tweaking the visual settings, to get more performance and the only really nasty effect of low resolutions is often text.

Looking at Hodgman gfx factor,then I think that quality will always win over resolution as long as the resolution is not a major quality factor. The latter is the case for text and VR, eventually the success of VR will determine the future of game display devices and not any 4k,8k or 128k TVs.

Isn't this because movies have ungodly amounts of blur? I would try the projector with a game having sharp graphics.

Isn't this because movies have ungodly amounts of blur? I would try the projector with a game having sharp graphics.

Games typically also aim for an ungodly amount of blur.

If you render a sharp game at 720p, you are likely to be able to afford to dial the multisample anti-aliasing all the way up to 16x...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement