Why didn't somebody tell me?

Started by
182 comments, last by LennyLen 7 years, 4 months ago

Much like bugs, sometimes you learn about something that everyone else knows and just assumes you know. And you think, "Why didn't somebody tell me?"

For example, I've been saying "for all intensive purposes" my whole life, only to discover the phrase is actually "for all intents and purposes".

Also, my wife just informed me that the song "Take me to church" is about secret sex stuff. Whaaaaaaat?

Anyway, please post away. I bet you're not the only one who didn't know.

My real one is: Java has a string formatter for platform specific carriage returns.

System.out.format( "Debugging var: %s%n", value );  // %n ??? All this time...

I think, therefore I am. I think? - "George Carlin"
My Website: Indie Game Programming

My Twitter: https://twitter.com/indieprogram

My Book: http://amzn.com/1305076532

Advertisement
I called duct tape duck tape for years without really wondering why it was called that.

This is only tangently related, but I once worked with these two guys John and Jacob. This was at a record label that mostly released Metal albums, so everyone there was mostly these burly-tough metal dudes. One day I said "Hey John, Jacob" and the whole office of burly metal dudes unanimously burst out in a manic ridiculous song. Having somehow made it into my 30's without ever once hearing the song "John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt," and being blissfully unaware of its existence, I'd never been more confused tongue.png They sang the whole damned thing. It was rather surreal.

Beginner here <- please take any opinions with grain of salt

I called duct tape duck tape for years without really wondering why it was called that.

Because it is duck tape. It originally was a tape made using duck cloth. It should not be used on ducts. Duck tape was also the original name.

Oh. Now I'm very confused :)

I once had a restaurant server ask if we'd like a "cara fe" of water for the table.

throw table_exception("(? ???)? ? ???");

Also, my wife just informed me that the song "Take me to church" is about secret sex stuff. Whaaaaaaat?

Literally, I just found that out the other day. Call me naive, but I actually thought the song was about going to church!

"The code you write when you learn a new language is shit.
You either already know that and you are wise, or you don’t realize it for many years and you are an idiot. Either way, your learning code is objectively shit." - L. Spiro

"This is called programming. The art of typing shit into an editor/IDE is not programming, it's basically data entry. The part that makes a programmer a programmer is their problem solving skills." - Serapth

"The 'friend' relationship in c++ is the tightest coupling you can give two objects. Friends can reach out and touch your privates." - frob

Because it is duck tape. It originally was a tape made using duck cloth. It should not be used on ducts. Duck tape was also the original name.

I was confused too. Wiki was quite interesting reading :) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duct_tape

I used to look at people crazy when they said "Bark O Mulch" (out loud) instead of "bark mulch". It didn't occur to me that someone would be silly enough to make a brand named that.

chest of draws

not

chester draws

apparently

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement