Why didn't somebody tell me?

Started by
182 comments, last by LennyLen 7 years, 5 months ago

I like to talk (and text message) in fake olde english from time to time, for my own amusement.

Apparently, nobody bothered to correct my mispronouncing of the word ' ye '. It's the exact same word, and pronunciation, of the word "the"!

I have always pronounced it like " yee ", but it's pronounced closer to " duh ", because it's not actually the letter 'y' but a special letter we dropped from the english alphabet, which was a single-letter for 'th' combined (like in 'there').

Unless you're referring to the pronoun ye, which was also the Early Modern English second person plural... as in, "I am talking to ye five gentlemen!".

Also, yes, the y was used in those cases because typesets lacked þorn, so they used y. There was also another character, eð, which was similar.

*Ye*, the article, is pronounced *the*. *Ye*, the pronoun, is pronounced *ye*.

Advertisement

This isn't really a "why didn't somebody tell me" but more of a "how the hell could I not realize" scenario. I just did a timed technical test and I wanted to make sure my answers were done well, so I looked over and polished up my answers as much as possible. I went to submit it about 10 minutes before the deadline.

To my realization, the test was split up on multiple pages.

for ( ; ; ) {

Me->FaceToDesk();
}

I ended up answering the other questions as quickly as possible (they weren't difficult at all, but would take some time to complete), but I'm not expecting to hear back (I'd be quite surprised if I did) as I didn't submit it within the deadline. I don't even know how I could mess up such an opportunity so badly. Ugh.

You can use snprintf to calculate the length of the formatted string by passing a NULL buffer with size 0. Can't believe I went so long without knowing about it (probably because I was just assuming that NULL would just crash).

Don't pay much attention to "the hedgehog" in my nick, it's just because "Sik" was already taken =/ By the way, Sik is pronounced like seek, not like sick.

It's called the alphabet because the first two greek letters are "alpha" and "beta" --> "alpha" + "bet"

"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

I don't know how many times I've been in a hire car / new car, and had the conversation with someone over which side the the fuel cap is on (and spent countless minutes stairing in the mirror looking for the thing)

Then last month I was in Australia and they had a feature on the radio talking about things you really should know, but only just found out recently. Someone called in saying that every car fuel gauge on the dashboard has an arrow on it indicating which side the fuel cap is on.

Doh!

Oh, and can I just throw this one out for many people (mainly Americans).

It's "I couldn't care less". You're welcome smile.png

Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]

Then last month I was in Australia and they had a feature on the radio talking about things you really should know, but only just found out recently. Someone called in saying that every car fuel gauge on the dashboard has an arrow on it indicating which side the fuel cap is on.

Not true in my experience. At least not on older cars.

Not true in my experience. At least not on older cars.

In the UK most petrol stations have extra long pipes on the pumps so you can park either side and still reach your cap. People don't realise this and still wait for ages for the pump nearest their cap... Doh.

ComPtr::operator& releases the object...

"Recursion is the first step towards madness." - "Skegg?ld, Skálm?ld, Skildir ro Klofnir!"
Direct3D 12 quick reference: https://github.com/alessiot89/D3D12QuickRef/

I've seen that in some cars, but several times in the past I've scanned the dashboard of what vehicle I'm in to figure out what side to park on, and couldn't find any (noticeable) indicators. I'm in the USA, and mostly driving vehicles made prior to the turn of the century.

For example, I've been saying "for all intensive purposes" my whole life, only to discover the phrase is actually "for all intents and purposes".

Well imagine you (and all others who made such mistakes) instead of realising your errors, were able to influence others to adapt their mistakes?

Far fetched? Na.

People adapting those kind of errors is the reason why Americans, till today call;

petrol (a liquid) -> gas (wonder what they call the real gas for cooking ?)

trousers -> Pants (wonder what they call the real underwear pants ?)

Gear shift -> stick shift

football -> Soccer (American football is NOT football! Find another name for it)

Damn .... I used to have a longer list

can't help being grumpy...

Just need to let some steam out, so my head doesn't explode...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement