Why didn't somebody tell me?

Started by
182 comments, last by LennyLen 7 years, 5 months ago

With MSVC you can easily retrieve the function name

I've always prefered __FUNCSIG__ (or __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ for GCC and Clang), which gives you the entire function signature, instead of just the function name.

Pretty handy if you have multiple overloads a function.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

Advertisement
I still do a lot of old school debugging by pasting

MyDebug() << __PRETTY_FUNCTION__ << __LINE__;

throughout a file, then running it to find the crash point. Building our work exe with debugging info enabled takes ages and this is a quick way to find a crash point, although have been bitten by re-ordering issues like this.

I always thought that his icon

tj1pGz9.png

was a carrot.

I just realised its a

[spoiler] filter inside a filter [/spoiler]

Mobile Developer at PawPrint Games ltd.

(Not "mobile" as in I move around a lot, but as in phones, mobile phone developer)

(Although I am mobile. no, not as in a babies mobile, I move from place to place)

(Not "place" as in fish, but location.)

I always thought that his icon

was a carrot.

It's obviously a carrot. Or, the UX people were on holiday that day...

Cats. They are not dogs.

1) Dogs have four legs
2) Cats have four legs
3) Therefore, cats are dogs.

Checkmate atheists.
"I would try to find halo source code by bungie best fps engine ever created, u see why call of duty loses speed due to its detail." -- GettingNifty

My sister in law thought that the Mrs. Doubtfire song from aerosmith was sung "Do the funky lady!" instead of "Dude looks like a lady". She even fought me and my wife on it and called us crazy until we showed her the lyrics online.

That's a mondegreen I haven't heard of before.

C++: A Dialog | C++0x Features: Part1 (lambdas, auto, static_assert) , Part 2 (rvalue references) , Part 3 (decltype) | Write Games | Fix Your Timestep!

For example, I've been saying "for all intensive purposes" my whole life, only to discover the phrase is actually "for all intents and purposes".

Well imagine you (and all others who made such mistakes) instead of realising your errors, were able to influence others to adapt their mistakes?

Far fetched? Na.

People adapting those kind of errors is the reason why Americans, till today call;

petrol (a liquid) -> gas (wonder what they call the real gas for cooking ?)

trousers -> Pants (wonder what they call the real underwear pants ?)

Gear shift -> stick shift

football -> Soccer (American football is NOT football! Find another name for it)

Damn .... I used to have a longer list

American usage..
Gas, actually more accurate than your use of "Petrol" as both are shorthand.
Gas for Gasoline, which it is.
Petrol for Petroleum, which is used to make a variety of things.

Pants, shorthand for Pantaloons.
While Trousers were a different sort of leg-wear, each kept only one term.

Undergarments...
Underwear is generic for the category, somewhat gendered to the male but can be used for both.
Shorts is the legless or very short-legged varieties.
Long Johns are the full leg variants, and the etymology is debatable but tends to be credited to the outfit of similar make worn by a famous boxer.

Stick shift usually refers specifically to the rod itself, and the whole thing visible device is called a Shifter.
But the use on this one tends to be regional, and seems to be fully unknown in some areas here.

Football <-> Soccer, The Football Association,... it was formed in Britain, and brought to the colonies, and for some reason endured.

Some others..
Calling Coffee "Java" - because that is the name of one of the first plantations growing the beans.

Calling everything that involves power and rotates a Motor.. Not a Clue.

Going to THE Hospital rather than to Hospital. The lack is actually a carry over from the word coming in to use before the advent of the Places we call Hospital. Since they existed before the colonies, there was a The to reference.

Some of it .. I swear is confused just to be confusing...
Taps that serve potable water, are Faucets in the North, Spigots and the South, but those that provide water not fit for drinking are called Spigots in the North and Taps in the South.

Taps that serve potable water, are Faucets in the North, Spigots and the South, but those that provide water not fit for drinking are called Spigots in the North and Taps in the South.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest and I've exclusively heard "Faucet" regardless of potability or indoor/outdoor use. (Spell checker doesn't think potability is a word, but it totally is.)

"Faucet" on my kitchen sink.
"Faucet" outside that I hook my sprinklers to.
"Faucet" connected to a well.

"Tap" on a beer keg.

"Spigot" ... not used around here, but I'd think "Faucet" if someone actually said it.

We also use:

Drinking Fountain = Faucet that emits water upwards a few inches that lets you drink directly from the stream (or fill a bottle). Usually includes a basin to catch the water that you don't drink/bottle.

Fire Hydrant = 'Serious business' water supplies placed along the sides of roads that fire-fighting vehicles can connect to for high-volume, high-velocity water near the scene of a fire.

I'm from the Pacific Northwest and I've exclusively heard "Faucet" regardless of potability or indoor/outdoor use. (Spell checker doesn't think potability is a word, but it totally is.)

"Faucet" on my kitchen sink.
"Faucet" outside that I hook my sprinklers to.
"Faucet" connected to a well.

"Tap" on a beer keg.

"Spigot" ... not used around here, but I'd think "Faucet" if someone actually said it.

We also use:

Drinking Fountain = Faucet that emits water upwards a few inches that lets you drink directly from the stream (or fill a bottle). Usually includes a basin to catch the water that you don't drink/bottle.

Fire Hydrant = 'Serious business' water supplies placed along the sides of roads that fire-fighting vehicles can connect to for high-volume, high-velocity water near the scene of a fire.

Also Pacific Northwest, on the northern side of the border.

"Tap" is an outlet for running water from the plumbing system or a liquid that is not water.
"Spigot" is an outlet for a liquid that is not water.
"Faucet" is a tap that empties into a sink.
If a tap has a hose attached to it, then we refer to it by the name of its attachment (eg. "turn on the sprinkler").
A tap or faucet that is pointed up is called a "fountain" regardless of context.

We also use "drinking ofuntain" and "fire hydrant."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement